Console quality experience

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Solidfart, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Yeah, I agree with your post, especially the comments above. It is much fairer to compare the ipad 4 against a vita than console games now mostly due to disk space issues and overall lack of console game titles.

But I too think that the ipad 4 is the best portable gaming system out there due to vast selection of games and cheaper prices.

During sales, you could have gotten Virtua Tennis for a buck, Nova 3 a buck, and Asphalt 7 for free. Games like this would cost close to $40 on the vita and $60 on the ps3. The question you have to ask yourself is, are games worth 50x more than on the ipad? Is the quality 50 times better?

This maybe a shallow arguement, but having a huge library if games is more important to me than a couple of great ones. To have 6000 ios games, it is close in price to only 5 games plus the price difference in the systems (ie ipad 4 is more expensive than a ps3) warrants adding 5 more games. So pricewise, 10 console games vs 6000 ios games. This is quite a difference.

But it is not fair to really compare the best console games to the ipad. Consoles are made for that. Ipads are more like laptops, in that they serve other services well like the web, camera, ebooks, ipod music, television, news reading, photography editing, and much mich more.

It is far more fair to compare the ipad to portable consoles like the vita in my humble opinion, why compare apples with oranges.

I think ipads will always stay about one generation behind consoles. The ipad 4 compares very favorably to the original xbox and ps2 in terms of high end games. If you take the high end games from the ps3 however, it just does't compete. But in all fairness, it was never designed to compete in this way.

2. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I only had one console and never played on pc. Ps2 broke down in 2008.....no console since. You can see my list earlier in the thread. Also, for those looking for true console titles xbla psn and steam, many tegra 3 games are direct ports. I will post an updated list tomorrow.

3. Kozio235

Kozio235 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2012
    WHY IS MODERN COMBAT 4 ON THIS LIST?!?!?!?!... Oh wait... Well modern combat 3 can hold its place till it gets here

4. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    tbh MC3 wasn't that good.

-campaign was ok
    -multiplayer filled with hackers

5. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I never compare the value of my iPad solely on just gaming. If your buying a $500 iPad just for gaming, your stupid. You could buy a console plus like 4-5 new games and be set for a year or more.

iOS games may be coming closer to PS Vita or 3DS games and will probably exceed them, but consoles is really another story. No one compares gameplay and graphics of a PS Vita to a PS3. That's Apples vs oranges.

6. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Ridge Racer Accelerated could pass for a 360 game, imo

7. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Regarding the definition of "console-quality", it is folly to think that a game played on a tablet can be as 'deep' as that on a proper gaming machine.

However, console-quality is a relative term. So games like Shadowgun, while not up to par on modern gaming machines, can pass as console-quality.

Two things to me that mark a game as console quality are, in order of importance, graphics and gameplay.

Slashing fruits or flinging birds is in no way console quality. Driving cars, shooting zombies....that could be considered. Just my two cents!

8. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #68 violentv, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
    (I am just quoting to give my post some context! Not referring to defred34 at all)
    I wish some people championing shadowgun as console quality etc would understand that graphics do not just extend to superficial graphical enhancements/effects but it also covers detailed landscape/level designs and world crafting which essentially provides you with a real sense of scale and immersion. THOSE are sorely lacking in all iOS games I see.

Edit: Are people double posting because the toucharcade app doesn't allow for editing of posts? lol

9. Solidfart

Solidfart Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Dead Space
    Bastion
    MC3
    FIFA 13

All the above fit the very thing you claim is severely lacking in iOS gaming and allow me to remind you that dead space came out before iPhone 5 and iPad 4, which means now EA could have done even a much better job with the game.

When I played Dead Space on my iPhone, I did not feel like I was playing some water down version. There was a deep and very engaging story, fantastic graphics, good scares and great boss battles, just like on consoles. And when it comes to FIFA 13 or Bastion everything is there, with touch friendly controls, but all is there.

Also big budget doesn't define a game good. I enjoyed MC3's campaign a whole (even though I hate the controls) while I only played Modern Warfare 3's campaign for one hour before loosing interest.

One thing for sure is that Cliffy B, from epic games was right. He said a few years back that at the rate mobiles are improving, within 4 years an iPhone should be able to run gears of war and I think we are getting very close to that time. If say iPhone 6 doubles the power of the iPhone 5s(next year) things will get pretty interesting in two years.

10. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #70 violentv, Nov 27, 2012
    @@ are you claiming a corridor crawler has good level/world designs?! lol I think almost everyone agrees that the sterile looking environment is one of the zzz points of Dead Space on Consoles...now throw in the ability to walk through locker doors and the repeated use of the same objects/models (tables/books) in EVERY room T_T. (btw EA is not the developer anyway <--nitpicking) No doubt deadspace for iOS is a good game but corridor crawlers are much easier to design and it certainly isn't a good example here. Look at Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii, it is running on some super underpowered console yet it is a game that has a beautiful world that is larger than either Amalur or Skyrim and with superb draw distance as well.The landscape designs are extremely well done and they pull your eyes away from bad textures and really flesh out the world. Now, THAT is what is lacking in iOS games. (pfft ..corridor crawlers)

Funny that you should bring up Bastion which is a console game. I think Bastion is a vivid example of how iOS developers lack ambition. With the same development time and budget as most other indie studios..they managed to come out with something like that! I don't think I ever brought up the phrase 'big budget' so you might be going off on a tangent here =p. I think what iOS developers lack is ambition on top of budget(It is understandable though!too many risks involved with developing games for iOS).

There are awesome games like Sins of the solar empire and Bastion and tons of other indie/non-indie PC/Console games developed on tight budgets yet they contain tons more content than their iOS counterparts. They don't go for a lot more too..and are frequently packed in dirt cheap indie bundles. (I know there are really awesome original iOS games like Ravenmark etc but those are far and few btwn)

I love my iPad though..and nothing will please me more than to see these gems ported to the iOS platform.

eh...so I just wanted to disabuse the notion that budget is the only factor that differentiates original iOS games from PC/Console games.

When we claim a platform is 'console quality'..we expect to see a full catalogue of games for every genre that matches that description..not isolated examples of games that are speculatively at that 'quality'.

Also, while there are 2-3 large FPS franchises, the dominant genres on consoles are RPGs -.-. Military FPS/TPS games are easy to churn out/polish once there is a template which explains why the market is saturated with them...probably not a coincidence that examples of 'console quality' iOS games that have been brought up are mainly FPS/TPS.

I agree! But the technology/power of iDevices certainly isn't the bottleneck here when it comes to bringing good games to the iOS platform

11. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Go play Shadowgun THD and come back and let me know how it feels. A year ago, I was gaming on a Tegra 2 (then 3) before I got an iPad. Shadowgun THD is a vastly improved experience bordering on early PS3 quality games. At least go see a Youtube video of it in action.

But anyway, even the regular version of Shadowgun can to me be easily recognized as console quality.

Look at RR2...released two full years ago! I am salivating waiting for RR3!!!

12. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    Of course they are not stupid. I have known several people all adults over 35 who have moved on from consoles because they have families, no longer have disposable income back when they were 20 something and have a blast with iOS games from Free to $14.99 compared to a $30+ console game.

I have no interest at all in consoles anymore. The Wii U is the first console in recent memory that looked fun to me but I wouldn't buy it for myself. I would buy it for my niece.

13. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    If you say Fifa 13 is console quality then you really have never played a football game on PS or PC. Man, Fifa 13 sucked. The graphics are meh, controls all over the place. I love to play intricate football - through balls, chips, crossing from side to side...all these are very, very difficult to pull off on a touchscreen, much less a touchscreen game that has got boatloads of buttons that provide no feedback or feel whatsoever.

14. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    That's their opinion and what you say doesn't subtract from their own experience.

People get facts mixed up with opinions a lot :)

15. Solidfart

Solidfart Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    #75 Solidfart, Nov 27, 2012
    Putting controls aside, console FIFA has commentary, full teams, full stadiums, different balls, tricks, fouls, replays, day/night cicles, cheap AI, ect... All those features are intact in the iOS version, and that's what makes it console quality. Not weather or not the controls suit you! Granted, my BIG problem with iOS FIFA is the cheap ass AI and from what I understand, it's exactly the same from the console version.

On my list I forgot to mention also Soul Caliber, which is another excellent 1:1 port.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I just read something on Kotaku that made me think of this thread, since a few people were comparing iOS games to Vita games in order to try and verify the "console quality" theory.

"If you've seen a commercial for the Vita, you've probably heard Sony's big tagline. "Get console-quality gaming with the PlayStation Vita." Not a bad selling point, and maybe the Vita does offer console-quality gaming. But it sure as hell doesn't offer console-quality games."

So there you go. Maybe both Vita and iOS have the potential, but it is yet to be fully realised. Here's the article if anyone wants to read:

http://kotaku.com/5963568/the-vita-is-a-great-systemtoo-bad-sony-screwed-it-up

17. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I actually think a few of the games on vita are 'console quality'. Not AAA console quality, but Gravity Rush and Uncharted for example both look and play as well as or better than plenty of mid-range console games and have a respectable amount of content too. I've not come across any iOS games that you can say the same about.

I mostly agree with the article though in that there isn't a compelling enough reason to own a Vita over what else is out there. I do own one and I somewhat regret my purchase so far.

18. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you can't say people stupid. IOS gaming deserves 500 bucks.
    meanwhile, a newcomer to console do not need to pay that much, they can buy a second hand with a lot of games.

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gravity Rush is the only game that really stands out to me. Some of the Vita versions of multiplatform games look fine, but I own both 360 and PS3 already so I couldn't justify another console purchase without some more exclusives.

20. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I also own both consoles (and an always dusty wii) and when my wife got me a Vita I wasnt that excited for the same reasons you mention.

Fortunately she also got GRush so I immediately tasted the potential of the console and started building my collection with games I didnt already owned on consoles like Rayman, NFS, Fifa, Metal Gear, etc. As you say they're all excellent ports and awesome to have in a more portable way but if I did owned those games already on ps3/xbox then it wouldnt make much sense to get them on Vita as I mostly play it at home.

All in all im very pleased with the Vita, is a fine piece of tech and I really hope it takes off in some form so we can get more games.

More on topic one Vita game I own that I think could be ported almost exactly to ios is Resistance BS, while I think its better than something like NOVA 3 i dont think that is a technical marvel and I have actually seen better graphics on some ios games.