TA improvements

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Ddyracer123, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I thought this might be cool: how about having some more icons? Like more grins, smiles, and growls;).

And here comes the idea I got from YouTube. How about having a rate up or down for all the forums?

2. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    No. I hate those stupid karma systems.

3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Sorry for being rude, But both of them are ridiculous ideas and will only deteriorate the forums quality if anything.

4. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

haha growls....... lmfao

i figured this thread was about wanting to change your name on here again.... :rolleyes:

5. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Meh..I'd like to see thread tags come back. Those were very useful.

6. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    :confused:
    What kind of tags they used to be?? I have no idea what you are talking about as it seems they were been removed before I joined TA.

7. Slapshot

Jun 12, 2009
    I could search a certain word and that thread would come up. The words would be at the bottom of the thread.

8. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    The only thing I want is single-frame avatars. No freakin' gigantic signature bars at the botton, just 32x32 or 64x64 avatars. And an extra line in my sig. If I need a certain smiley, I just google it.

9. Slapshot

Jun 12, 2009
    YES. Oh my God, how could I forget avatars!?! I want that more than thread tags for sure. But there is one person that can use avatars. Blakespot. He uses his avatar and it doesn't look bad at all. I think that's what we're missing.

10. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    All though I'll probably be banned again, I'd like better mods.

Okay, not "better" mods, but they're just so strict right now. They'll give your warnings and bans for stupid things, and edit/delete your posts for stupid things. I understand there are a lot of people on this forum, but c'mon guys, seriously.

11. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    What is an example of "stupid things"? These are the rules

- Don't post advertisements for your blog/podcast/youtube-channel on the site. (signature links are acceptable within reason). Self promotion is strictly prohibited.
    - Developers are welcome to post app announcements, but please identify yourself as the developer
    - Only developers may post promo code giveaways.
    - Don't beg/ask for promo codes or beta testing
    - Don't insult people - if you can't keep yourself from insulting others, you don't belong here
    - Don't post multiple threads on the same topic
    - Don't post in the WRONG forum ("iPhone games" is for games only)
    - Please use a descriptive title ("Help" is not descriptive)
    - Keep threads on topic - obviously things can stray onto related topics, but we've seen threads stray into personal and irrelevant topics.
    - Don't bump threads. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump.
    - Please avoid correcting spelling and grammar. English is not the primarily language for many people, and grammar discussion does not really add anything of substance to most discussions
    - Please post in English. Despite our international audience, this is an English language site.
    - One account per user. Don't post to multiple accounts.
    - Don't post fake announcements or impersonate individuals or companies
    - Shill accounts will result in a site-wide ban of the site, product or developer
    - No piracy. Discussion about piracy in the abstract is acceptable. But links or how-to's or where to get pirated software will quickly result in banning
    - Please keep language "clean"

12. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    when I search for a word that can be three letters such as tic tac toe as an example

13. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I vote for an open bar.

*shrugs*

14. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    That's a good thing. I don't like seeing stupid things on forums. People who do stupid things, post stupid things should be warned or banned and the stupid things they post should be edited and deleted.

15. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    #15 ImNoSuperMan, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
    I was in favor of avatars a couple of months ago. But now dont see any real point in them. They dont really serve any purpose IMO. And any tiny bit of interest I had left in avatars was smashed to nil when I came across ipodtouchfans forums the other day:eek:. Dear god they looked bad. One of the worst implementation of avatars I`ve seen in a long long time. And you know what was really the worst, I found out people were still crying out there asking why cant they add pics in their sigs :eek::eek: More than enough to discourage me from joining those forums at all.

So you cant ever keep everyone happy if that turns out to be the only reason admins decide to add avatars here. I guess if you keep them small enough like you suggested they wont be as much of a nuisance I but still dont really see any point in them.

16. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I'm a little surprised that you of all people are saying this. You were the one spamming the forums with some cryptic message a little while ago. If you only posted in one or two threads, no big deal, but you were doing it all over the place. And you're mad that you got in trouble for that? seriously?

I hate strict rules just as much as the next person, but c'mon man, what you were doing was annoying as hell and not something I'd expect from a senior member.

17. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    I wasn't talking about that; I agree that was banworthy.

18. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    But there will be an equivalent on any forum. On this one, post count is basically the same as GameFAQs' karma system. I like the karma system more though. Having a post count as rep indicator is flawed because people can just spam to raise it, and it can't be removed for infractions. Take me for example: I hardly ever post unless I have something that I think is important to say (on this site and on GameFAQs). On GFs, I don't lose out because of that (I generally only have 20 posts on the boards at any time, yet have almost 1500 karma). On this site, even though I'm here at least three times a day, I have a low "karma" amount.

Yeah, I hate GameFAQs' overzealous moderators and their censorship about everything (you say something rude, there goes three karma. A mod disagrees with you, you lose 3 karma, etc), but at least you have some wiggle room. On here, people get banned for small things.

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

People use post count as a reputation indicator?

20. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    To a new user, more posts = more knowledge. Certainly the case in the forums I use. Best thing we did on one large forum was remove that so no-one could see, it said it nowhere.
    Someone gets to 490 posts and they make 10 crap comments so they can post '500!!!!!'

Couple of PS3 forums I use some of the people there with 1000's of posts can say far worse than a new user and it's the post count that seems to give them the 'seniority' to do so.

I'd lose the post count, I'd also lose the thread views. Little point there and it becomes self-fulfilling.