WTF!!! Disk space usage

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ricinator, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Ricinator

Ricinator Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Australia
    Hi guys,

Today I finally caved in to buy Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars... but there is a problem.

Before i downloaded it, i deliberately checked how much dick space i had left. It said 1.2 gigs. When i downloaded gta, before it even finished installing, a message popped up saying u are running out of disk space, please delete some music apps etc. My ipod was reallllllly laggy. When i checked how mush space i had, it said 0 bytes:eek: I tried locking my ipod but it had frozen so i force restarted it. Before gta started downloading again, i check the disk s[ace and now it says 665 mb left.

Some thoughts would be useful,
    Thanks, Ricinator

2. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    665mb should be enough to install GTA.

3. Ricinator

Nov 18, 2009
    Australia
    Yeh but it sort of wasted 600 mb of space! Somehow it went from 1.2 gigs to 0 bytes (and more if fully downloaded) just by downloading gta. I even deleted some apps during the download process :confused:

4. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    If you downloaded it on your iPod touch, it probably had to move/extract the game to the correct folder after downloading it so it should've took like 1.2GBs (At least I think this is what happened, forgive me if I'm wrong)

5. Ricinator

Nov 18, 2009
    Australia
    Why would that have needed 1.2gbs?

6. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Because I'm guessing that it had to move 600GBs from one folder to another so you needed at least 1.2GBs.

7. Ricinator

Nov 18, 2009
    Australia
    #7 Ricinator, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    It's ok now :p I just downloaded gta on my computer and synced. I have 685 mb left now :D

8. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    I had the same concern, and wow, I was really confused. R* should put some type of warning for this in their description.

9. Moonmist

Moonmist Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    at my computer?
    it does this for every game you install straight to your ipod... You need twice the amount of space it says to install it. The reason is it has to download it AND install it. So both of the parts are on your ipod at the same time. Hence twice the space.

10. OzzY

OzzY Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Student
    Serbia
    #10 OzzY, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
    iPhone installation files (*.ipa's) are nothing more than zip archives. So the file size of .ipa is size of compressed archive! In order to see what is size of game on DISK (when installed) open *.ipa with an archive manager (WinRAR, 7-zip,...) and somewhere in file information see archive ratio or even size on disk.
    For WinRAR it's Tools/Show information/Info tab/Total size.

11. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    And that is my point, gta should say size on disk. Sure all games are bigger decompressed, but the gta size is rather ridiculous. I mean, cool theyvwere able to slimit it down 66% or so for download, but it takes 3 times as much space as the description says. Made problems for a lot of people.

12. OzzY

OzzY Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Student
    Serbia
    Totally agree.

13. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Actually, I had the same problem, and started deleting things I probably wouldn't have given the circumstance. However, it was a minor sacrifice for what is now occuring on my ipod.

14. uSICu

uSICu Well-Known Member

May 2, 2009
    Construction
    Oklahoma
    I use to have the same problem, so there really may not be a great reason for me to post this, so maybe I'm the juvenile one. However, how is it le'deuche, or any of my other comedic friends, did not catch the "dick space" in the beginning? Hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I chuckled a bit. However, I do believe Moonmist said it right, because when you download it straight to your iPod it uses twice as much memory before it frees it back up. Just a temporary thing. My old PSP did the same thing.

15. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    huh, huh, huh, huhuhuhuhuh "dick space" huh, huh, huhuhuhu....(beavis and butthead laugh)

16. uSICu

uSICu Well-Known Member

May 2, 2009
    Construction
    Oklahoma
    Hahahaha I think that was what I was waiting for. Thank you for, once again, giving us Touch Arcade comedy.

17. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    When it gets down to that little space, it probably won't be able to run very fast anyway. I suggest you should take off some bulky apps.

18. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    I Would Have to agree with you on that. i learned by trial and error.