I noticed that I device is actually cheap recently

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by klarence, Oct 19, 2012.

1. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I've a old ipod 2G, slow and lag. I throw it away 1 year ago to a ramdon corner somewhere in my room, and never want touch it.
    Now ipod touch 5G is sold out at local bestbuy, I should wait some more days to get one.
    So I pick my ipod 2G up and use it again in the bus and waiting in the line. The ipod touch 2G is really old and battery-hungry, I never expect it could works well.
    But what I found is the ipod touch 2G is still works in my daily life, I can play some decent games which are suitable to waiting something or in the commute.
    I can listen music or check time, date and use calculator.
    Play too long time on a tiny screen would kill my eyes, and I don't need keep play that long time when I'm waiting let's say in the line of foodmarket.
    and I can't really notice the gameplay is deep or not or if it's polished enough. Once I only need to kill 5 mins, even a ipod touch 2G works well. and if I play a long time I would miss my stop.
    from this aspect, I-device is really cheap. I got no reason to get a touch 5g though, but I still to get one....for what reason? the a bit bigger screen and siri and camera and much better game experience. But the most important reanson is I just can't stop my desire to waste 300 bucks plus tax.
    well, I just say if only feeds my ture needs, I device is cheap enough and they have a good quality.

2. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    To each his own!

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Thats not anything new or surprising. If you need to kill time you can get any older Nokia or Sony Ericson phone. They had awesome games... But of course the more you pay the better games you can play.

4. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    something suprised me is the game on the old ipod feels decent when I play it in the bus, but it feels worse when I stay at home.
    I played the street fighter volt, it's background even can not keep same color on the ipod 2 g, but I can't really be bothered by that when I on the move.

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Before it died to a very rainy day, my iPod 2g was really excellent. I was surprised at how well it ran a lot of apps like Plants vs. Zombies, PuzzleQuest (the first game), Monster Dash, and so on. And the wifi capability was enough to do some basic stuff like email and checking the news. I only paid 100 bucks for it but it lasted for quite awhile.

The one big change I noticed with my 4g is the retina display. It is so much easier on my eyes than the 2g. That and it runs a couple of games the 2g can't.

6. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I have the 3Gs and its almost 3 years old now. Its amazing how many games you can still play on it and they run pretty decent. I think i wouldnt be buying newer Apple devices if my phone could still run games like Horn, Lili and some other upcoming games.

About the retina though... I cant notice the difference other than the graphics (edges on 3D models are smoother) but other than that - its almost the same.

7. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    ...and some non-retina games look better on older devices. I have GTA: Chinatown Wars installed on my 3gs. I tried playing on my 4S and couldn't stand it. But it looks great on a screen which matches its native resolution.

8. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I definitely agree..some people who don't have much money spare to spend a thousand dollars on a phone..some of them instead go to the shops and see what they can get for like $200 and end up getting some crappy throw away phone with no good features.. It's such a waste.. I'd much rather to on eBay and buy an old iPhone 3G or something for $200 rather than to buy something like an lg cookie for the dame price new in the shops.. I think some people just buy those phones out of convience.. They only have a certain amount of money and they are there at the shop so they buy it.. But it would be much wiser to get an older model, yet still have access to the huge variety of games and apps in the AppStore, and constant iOS upgrades.

BUT I have an old iPod touch that I dug out to use specifically for gym when my shuffle got trampled at the gym.. I actually had 2 old iPod touches, one was my exes that he never reclaimed.. So anyway I put my work out playlist on it and it completely shit itself only after a few days.. From day 1 it wasn't holding charge hardly at all, and then day 3 or 4 my whole music folder just randomly disappeared, I synced it and wiped it and put the music back on it but it was still wiped.. So I ended up uses my exes and lucky his is working okay.. But it's kinda unpredictable if you might end up with a dud.. But then again my old touch was jail broken at some point... And his never was.. Maybe jail breaking does screw up the device.l also JB my first iPhone 2g and it didn't last long before it started playing up either.. Never jail broken a decide since then though. Been atleast 5 years since then and all my devices are working great so maybe jailbreaking does lead to the devices own demise.. Probably revenge from apple.. Probably somehow programs them to know when it's been jail broken, then self destructs before it's out of warranty as a painful lesson of karma!

9. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Jailbreak is in no way a negative thing... But it's true that it can screw up your device. But you can still restore the custom IPSW file and you've got a whole new phone/ipod. Or you can put it into "Safe mode", so JB has almost no negative effect on the device (but you lose some minor features when in safe mode).