How to turn off Open Feint?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by don_k, Jan 23, 2010.

1. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Once enabled, is there anyway to turn off Open Feint without deleting the game?

I hate how the framerate often becomes choppy when I unlocked an achievement (via Open Feint) in the middle of the game.

2. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    errrr.....ummmm log out in the openfeint menu? idk? are you donking70 on the psn?

3. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    I just happen to randomly stumble on this thread. I'm not sure how to turn off OF, but in 2.4 you can remove your account from the device under the edit profile tab.

OF doesn't have to cause the frame rate drop. It's something that the developer can address. When developing Sniper Strike, I saw the same problem as you are seeing now. After fiddling with it for a few days, I found the solution: creating my own in-game achievement notification system. But it's much easier to just slap OF onto a game and let it be. I'm guilty of this myself in the past.

4. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    @MrBlue:
    yeah, it doesn't affect all OF games. Some games also cleverly only unlocks achievements once we finish a level, not during the level.

It's just that some games lazily rely on OF for their achievement system so it's hard, especially in games that need quick fingerworks like Zombie Pizza. It often doesn't register my swipe during the lag.

@The prez:
    Thanks, I'm an idiot :eek:
    anyway, I'm not donking, I don't even have PSP :p

5. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    and sometimes the notifications get annoying. i noticed in 2.4 OF it takes a LOT longer to log in, then with older versions. like ill be able to start a game in minigore, then ill log in and ill accidentally click my profile cuz im trying to shoot!!! haha argh

and oh man :(

6. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    #6 MrBlue, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
    Agreed. This is one way to address the issue. I've been playing a lot of MW2 since it came out, so I imitated their "challenge" system. I have my achievements slide in when it's unlocked. :)

I haven't played minigore myself, but I see this similar issue in other games. The problem here could be that the dev is trying to load too much on startup. IMO, startup should be quick and get you to the main menu ASAP. This is when OF is suppose to load. So while you're tapping the menu buttons and reaches the actual load screen, OF loads in the background. This is how I address the OF login. Get into the game quick and kick off the OF login process. The actual loading screen takes 5 secs to load which is plenty of time for OF to login usually. Again, this is something devs can address by using some multi-threading functions.