Can I use other game's arts?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by willzeng, Nov 20, 2014.

1. I use all kind of pictures I can find. UI & items, I believe they have no copyrights. A character, better not use. But how about a skeleton, a zombie? For example, I can use some tools and get all monster animations in Kingdom Rush, can I use them to do another Tower Defense game? Or other type of games totally irrelevant? How do you judge you crossed the line or not?

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Don't think you should use graphics from any other game without permission

If you had a game which was a huge hit you wouldn't want other devs stealing your artwork you spent time and money developing. Do you honestly think its okay to take graphics from Kingdom rush?????

3. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Use other games art?
    You're doing it wrong!
    Games are art.
    Be an artist.
    Go make art.

4. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Unless you have the expressed permission of the original artist/rights holder *or* it's public domain art, you've crossed the line. You might not get caught, but you're still stealing assets from hardworking artists without credit or compensation, and that's wrong both legally and morally.

5. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    No!!
    U can get into big trouble if the owner want too
    Do not even think about it
    And as an artist, I will have no problem of u using my old project as long as I get credited, or payed

6. madreviewer

Sep 22, 2013
    I don't think the artist have the right to sell his art once he assign to the game company. He might based on the deal he had, but it's preferable to get your own art.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    You are assuming all devs have a publisher. If he publishes it himself (or their group themselves) they have the right to give permission be it with or without payment (however they decide it should be) to have their game assets used.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm stunned this dev is even asking. Unless the graphics are public domain (you can normally tell as they look quite bad) of course you can't just use them

At least ask the dev first !!

9. madreviewer

Sep 22, 2013
    "Based on the deal" that's why I put it there

10. I don't get what I want to know. Simple no is just as ignorant as simple yes. Someone draw a spoon in his app and other people can never again illustrate a spoon anywhere? If they look alike?

Of course you can scavenge & adapt arts form other sources, recreate for your own use. Items and UI patterns are never problems I believe. I just wonder those fall between characters & natural objects such as demons, zombies, etc.

11. I'm pretty much stunned too. For people replied without a head.

12. 1. Most items, even you draw them totally new, them inevitably seem like some existing arts, the problem is only you get "caught" or not.

2. Most, if not all, artists create their stuff based on existing resources. The problem is just how far the new stuff deviates from the original ones. You can change the appearance of a character greatly, but not quite much of a spoon.

13. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    You asked people's opinions, they gave them to you.

Why don't you just make your own assets? At least then, if someone accuses you of something shady, you can deny it with a clear conscience.

If you're asking about the likelihood of getting caught, I'd say it increases exponentially the more complex an asset is. A spoon is made up of few pixels and there's little room for artistic interpretation. A monster is significantly more complex and it's pretty easy to tell if someone's stealing another person's art there, especially if they're stealing from a very popular game.

You can see plenty of games copying the design of Square Enix's little blue slime character from Dragon Quest, but I suspect if you actually copied it pixel for pixel and Square or Akira Toriyama noticed, you'd regret it. Deeply.

Just make your own assets, use public domain ones, or license some. Why would you risk all of the hard work you have to put into creating a game by cutting a legal corner for one part of it?

14. Yeah. And I expressed my opinion same way back, is it a problem?

Of course there are recreations, I just want to know how far the dissimilar should be, is there a rule to follow or just judge by impressions?

As for slime, I seriously think there's no problem. Of course no one would do it, but even if someone copy it pixel by pixel, it matters nothing. Using the same name "slime" matters more, yet still, matters nothing.

15. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Well, I guess that would be up to the original rights holder to decide if it were worth pursuing, and then up to a court to decide. Nobody here is going to be able to tell you how close to the line you can skate before getting a C&D from the source, and we're even less likely to be able tell you what a court would decide. You're better off asking an intellectual property lawyer than a forum full of end-users, especially when the risk of bad advice means potential financial ruin.

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I replied without a head ?

A developer basically asks if he can steal artwork, and i'm the one without a head ??

IF you create some 'slime' and it looks similar to another graphic but you can prove you did it (as you have the original art files, Photoshop files etc) then thats fine.

You asked a stupid question - 'Can i use other games arts' ? Of course you cant, and i'm the one without a head eh ?!?

A company will have created those graphics themselves, or will have paid (and probably owned) the graphics created by a freelancer.

How would you like it if you spent money creating graphics and then someone stole them and used them in their games ? Of course you wouldnt like it, lets talk sense here.

You cant steal 'someone elses slime', create your own, even if its similar like i said above you'll have the original files to prove you didnt steal it. I'm stunned a dev is even asking questions like this

17. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    #17 jn2002dk, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    This

While IP laws can get murky real quick, simply ripping game art from someone else is without a doubt illegal

You can likely get away with copying their art provided you make your own copy but there are no guarantees with these kind of things

The best way would obviously be to create your own original art and with the added bonus of being able to take pride in your work. As an amateur artist, i'd feel really bad even copying someone else's work. Being inspired by it however is perfectly fine

18. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    /thread

19. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I think you have already crossed the line

20. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    To be fair, there's one piece of information no one's addressed yet.

willzeng originally mentioned thinking things like UI and "items" as having no copyright - which is wrong. There seems to be an underlying assumption that these are somehow less valuable, or require less work. Having been a UI designer and artist, I can honestly say that's not the case. UI elements take as much (and sometimes more) time, effort and work as many in-game elements.