iPhone Karate Champ XL

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Revolutionary Concepts, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revolutionary Concepts

Revolutionary Concepts Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    #1 Revolutionary Concepts, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
    We were delighted to see the iPhone version of this classic was extremely well received by critics and gamers worldwide - featured by Apple and even included in TA's own list of must-have apps.

One thing we found interesting - a large number of people preferred playing the game on the iPad. We agree as the iPad gives you the closest thing to a handheld arcade unit we're gonna see for a long time.
    Massive fun (more so with 2 players), but of course it'd be better if it was made for the iPads screen right?

And so we thought we'd better make a version that is designed for the iPad :)

Even though Karate Champ cant by any means be called an HD game we are doing some things that should bring it even closer to capturing the spirit of the original arcade machine. Hell we'd even argue maybe just maybe this version surpasses it :p

Karate Champ XL will come complete with the all the goodies found in the iPhone version : http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=47883

But also complete with completely reworked graphics and a new split screen 2-Up tabletop mode.

When we say reworked graphics consider that the iPad is completely the wrong screen dimensions for this game, and so the classic backgrounds dont fill the screen :( Our solution, hand paint 8-bit style extensions to the left and right so that the backdrops show more of the Karate Champ world.

We've also gone back and hand crafted an entirely new HD arcade unit facia and sticks that complete the illusion of playing on a real machine.

Anyway, I could talk about the game for hours :) let's just say we feel comfortable saying it's never looked so fresh - even 26 years on.

Early Concept Image.
    [​IMG]

Actual iPad screencap (real scale cropped but otherwise unedited).
    [​IMG]

Oh and it is coming.. SOON!

2. Revolutionary Concepts

Nov 12, 2009
    Forgot to mention we have reduced the price of the existing iPhone version to 99c and will likely keep it that way until the iPad version is ready.
    Hopefully it'll help kill time till you can lay the smack down in tabletop arcade mode :)

3. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Dude, that tabletop multiplayer would rule!!! I can imagine me and my little cousin playing the hell out of my poor iPad. Can't wait can't wait!!!

4. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I usually won't buy a separate HD app when I already have the iPod/iPhone version, but here I'll probably make an exception. I can't believe you guys actually took the time to extend the 8 bit playfield graphics to fit the new aspect ratio instead of taking the easy way out with a bezel!

Have you considered producing traced or rendered versions of the original sprites for a true HD experience as part of an optional "modern" mode? I'm happy to play in the original retro mode, but introducing upscaled graphics might make the game more appealing to younger gamers. Just a thought - my four year old loves the game just as it is.

5. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    Have you decided on a price for the iPad version? And any guess on release window?

6. Revolutionary Concepts

Nov 12, 2009
    #6 Revolutionary Concepts, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
    Thanks man. Don't forget though that if you have KC for iPhone already you can install the one copy on your iPhone AND iPad and go at it head to head.

Heya Stroffolino. Yeh we couldn't sleep at night if we disguised the different dimensions with some poxy bezel :p
    Funny you mention the idea of up-rezzed players as we seriously looked at this, but ultimately we realized it was never going to be Tekken so rather than half-ass it we should stick with pure retro-goodness :)

Only the 2Up split screen left to do now so hopefully you'll see something written up here and on the interwebs in the next fortnight. Not sure the price but we'll do our best :)

7. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

#7 BazookaTime, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
    I really want this...will pretty much pay what ever for it.:eek:

I own the iPhone version but I can't resist being able to beat someone down on the same iPad.

8. Revolutionary Concepts

Nov 12, 2009
    Hmm so do we sell 100 copies at $1 a pop or sell 1 copy to Bazooka for $100? Decisions decisions hehe :p
    Glad you are looking forward to mate.

9. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    Cool, looking forward to it. And yes, I only play on the iPad already. :) Will this HD version be playable in vs. mode against the iPhone version?

10. Revolutionary Concepts

Nov 12, 2009
    #10 Revolutionary Concepts, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
    sure will (there will be an iPhone Ver1.1 update.
    Love that Fargoal by the way - a must have if ever there was one.

11. influx-z

influx-z Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Congrats guys! :)

I don't know if I would pay twice for this great title to play it on my new incoming iPad though.:rolleyes:

I'd like more the Universal way to go.

When a buy an original game for my PC,
    I don't want to spend more money on buying a new game for my new eg: Quad Core 21 inches monitor I have just bought.

The platform is the same, "Apple", and another iDevice coming out in the market should not be a chance for a developer to charge money for a mere conversion IMO.

Better pay the right price for a game and have it to work on all the iDevices than paying 5$ then 8$ for the iPad version, this is insane! (I see there are games out there doing this).

This is unacceptable. As far as the game is totally renewed in graphics and in gameplay, I mean, a new title!

my 2 cents

Beside that, I'm gonna get this game because god only knows how much money I spent on this when it was a coin-up. :D

12. Revolutionary Concepts

Nov 12, 2009
    #12 Revolutionary Concepts, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    Thanks Influx-z.

re: the arguement for universal we hear you and understand the arguement. I'm not gonna wave the flag for other devs or attempt to dive into the pros and cons - it's an extremely !! complicated issue with many many facets to it.

Suffice to say most developers aren't getting rich by charging too much or double-dipping - they are trying to get paid a fair price for their work any way they can! Even adapting a game like Karate Champ for the iPad requires a month of very real extra work and because iPhone only users won't want to pay extra for a 'feature' they likely won't ever use, it invariably means having 2 apps that even when you add up the total price aren't anywhere near the price they should be. Again 99.9% of developers arent making out out like gangbusters but merely trying to cover their costs!

I cant speak for others but we always price our apps very reasonably - both Karate Champs together would be a fifth of a decent Nintendo DS or PSP game! Even then if we have a smidgen of success we make them even cheaper again - at the risk of incurring the wrath of a whole different subset of users who HATE discounting :p

In fact if you note that We just achieved 1m downloads and celebrated by making all our games 99c !! (edit - till august 1).

We'd just as soon people play our games and are commited to trying to make everyone happy - at least as often as we can afford to :)

Thanks for raising a good point and we hope you enjoy Karate Champ.

13. Revolutionary Concepts

Nov 12, 2009
    Karate Champ XL in QA, off to Apple this week :)
    Just sent batch of in-game screens to TA.

14. BazookaTime

Great news...will be buying as soon as it is out.

15. BazookaTime

Maybe this week?

16. Revolutionary Concepts

Nov 12, 2009
    We hope so :)
    Watch this space. Oh and we might have something new to announce this week too :p

17. Revolutionary Concepts

Nov 12, 2009
    #17 Revolutionary Concepts, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
    A few screens while we wait :)
    Soon enough you'll have a real reason to take your iPad to the pub and tabletop it like it's 1984 all over again :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shouldnt be much longer. Meantime look out for the first shots of the follow-up to Cobra Command later today :)

18. BazookaTime

Apple must be too busy playing this to give it the green light.

19. Revolutionary Concepts

Nov 12, 2009
    #19 Revolutionary Concepts, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
    Moved in the queue!
    Sorry you're having such a wait guys. We needed to add an update to 1.1 for the iPhone game so they could network reliably.
    Anyway you should see both very soon now :) And the price...... $1.99 for launch. Our thanks for your patience :p

20. TNT_HEADSHOT

TNT_HEADSHOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    I was born in '91 so I never played this before, so I read the overwhelmingly positive reviews and picked up the iPhone version. I must say, it is amazing. Therefore, picking this up is a no brainer. Cheers.