New to game making and need help

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Liam2010, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Liam2010

Liam2010 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2010
    some answers to these questions could really help ;)

1.is apples app development kit free to use until you publish an app?

2. do you need a mac computer?

3.could i port a game that i made with game maker and put it on ipod?

4.for simple 2d games is it better to have a team/ group?

5.if i made my app free how would i get ads on my app to pay for it?

6.how does coding work?

7.what do words like, SDK mean? and any other app development words?

thanks in advance :)

2. Lightworx

Lightworx Well-Known Member

May 21, 2010
    Italy
    Coding is another word for programming and in the case of idevice apps, you use an objective C based language called Cocoa. Have a read about it (google) and you should find some examples.

In my opinion you are facing an uphill struggle if you are not sure what coding means, but best of luck to you :)

3. Java

Java Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    United States

1.) You need to play $99 USD a year to stay enrolled in the Apple Development Program in order to submit and have apps made available on the AppStore. The SDK (Which means Software Development Kit) is free to download with or without your enrollment in the development program. Even when you publish an app its free, but as I stated above you need to have paid that $99.

2.) Not necessarily. You can use any available SDK's (Be it Apples, The Unreal SDK, or Unity 3D) to create games. However, only a Mac can use apples SDK.

3.) Yes within reason.

4.) It depends on what you mean by simple. The more team members you have the easier it may be to complete and create a great game. The profits, however, will be split among the team members.

5.) Inorder to get ads available in your app, you would need to program them. So far I have only used iAds and incorporating them into the web app was a bit difficult, as my team member had told me. I would assume the revenue is based on the amount of clicks the ad receives. The more the amount of clicks, the better the revenue.

6.)What do you mean? If your asking how turning a computer language into a game works then you may want to ask CommanderData, as he is a giant reservoir of knowledge :)

7.) See my answer Number 1. As for other app development words, could you give specific examples?

4. TapMeJared

TapMeJared Member

May 6, 2010
    Business Development / Producer
    Chicago, IL
    for a very simple 2-D game without being able to code there is always the gamesalad route. I think they will even publish the game for you so you don't need to pay the $99 apple fee, but gamesalad will take a cut of your sales.

Unity3D has a similar program called "Union". They will publish your game under their license and take a cut of the sales. It is fairly practical.

5. JaredJudd

JaredJudd Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Lead Software Engineer
    Vegas
    5. There are lots of various advertisement models to consider. If you are making a free game, you need to look up terms like eCPM, and Fill Rate. Be sure you place your ads in an appropriate way (Don't put full screen ads in the middle of a level, don't obstruct your UI). Make sure that the game has a logical spot for an ad, or it's just annoying.

6. A lot of companies will offer support in coding the ad portion of your apps. I'd recommend looking into Mobclix, Adwhirl, Admob, and iAd. Technically you can incorporate all of these into the same app, but try to determine what best fits your needs, and then see if the one you pick can offer the support you are needing to incorporate their code.