Universal Checkpoint Champion

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by protostarMatt, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. protostarMatt

protostarMatt Active Member

Sep 18, 2014
    #1 protostarMatt, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    Hi all!

I've recently started a new indie games company called Protostar with a good friend. We're both seasoned iPhone developers (from a bigger company) and we've nearly finished our first game, Checkpoint Champion.

Here's the logo:
    [​IMG]

And some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a little, arcadey top-down driving game. We're planning to release the game in November. Here's a link to a short video introducing ourselves and the game.

Feel free to ask us anything about the game. We'd love to hear what you think!

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    This has my attention. Like the look of things so far. Will this be premium or free to play? I'll be looking out for this undoubtedly :)

3. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Like the look of this a lot. Definitely grabbing this one!

4. protostarMatt

Sep 18, 2014
    Thanks! Yeah, it will be free with ads, and you can pay to disable them (probably either 99c or the next price-point up). There won't be any energy or waiting mechanics and there won't be any pay-to-win mechanics either. :)

5. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    You've got my 99cents for sure!

6. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    That's the car from initial D!!!! I love it!

7. protostarMatt

Sep 18, 2014
    Woohoo! Checkpoint Champion just got approved by apple, but probably won't be out in the US for a little while. However, we have some promo codes to give away to anyone who wants to check out the game early. We'd love to see some scores on the leaderboards and hear what you think of the game. :)

PM me if you'd like one. We don't have many so... first in, first served.

Also, here's a short gameplay preview to see what the game is all about.

8. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Really cool video guys about the development of the game, kind of a unique "behind the scenes" look at things. The game looks great, I can't wait to take it for a test drive ;)

9. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Ok, I recieved a promo code for Checkpoint Championand...awesome game guys! So much to do, controls work flawlessly, the art is great. I'll be buying the three paint jobs for $1.99 to show my indie support. You guys really nailed it!

Richard

10. protostarMatt

Sep 18, 2014
    We're not paying him to say this stuff, we swear!! Thanks, Rich!

11. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

I too was kindly sent an early access code, and not being paid for my next words :)

Guys this is a really fun game. Highly recommend you keep it on your radar!
    The extra time in the oven really paid off in my opinion. There's certainly a lot of polish, content and features - all perfectly done so that ain't something that can just be thrown together - I'm glad the devs decided to keep pushing it for the good of the game. Amazing work for your first game, chaps!

It feels fresh, handles really nicely, looks amazing and just overall good fun with a lot of skill based opportunity to get good/better at it. Even by level 6 or so it's getting pretty hard, with some tight time limits, so you gotta be accurate and quick to make it, never mind getting 3 stars for each level!

Controls are tap left side of screen to rotate left, right side for turning right, press both sides for turbo and auto accelerate. Tricky timing to keep on the turbo and do a small turn but that's a skill you will need pretty early on!

Lovely cartoony animation of smoke coming off the wheels on the different terrains, fun colourful but not kiddie-style cartoon theme - I approve! Can see this being a big hit, so best of luck to your full release and thanks for the code!

12. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Honestly, I was instantaneously impressed. Love, love the art style! You guys nailed it!
    The gameplay is quick and very challenging. Thank goodness for that retry button on the screen and just as importantly the super fast reload of the level.
    And last but not least, the controls are simple and also work great.
    This has all the makings of a game that will be on my device for a long while...

13. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Thanks a bunch for the code, Matt !

This is an absolute and only skill based game, hurray, and totally up my alley! There aren't many games out there where i want to 3-star every level, but this is one of them. Even on level one it gets challenging, already.

I re-downloaded the game to change to the VW Beetle as the default car, seems easier to get into the game (more grip), at least for me. You have a choice of two cars at game start, but without test-driving as this will be possible later in the game. Right now there are only three cars available, but i'm quite sure more will follow. Right ?

It's a an overall polished and fast loading app (installed 103 MB) with a fast replay action, one of the most important things in a game like this.

My personal nit-picking problems are:
    I find the good jazz-funky music too loud compared to the sfx sounds (no volume sliders) and with that current icon, i would easily overlook this gem on the app store!

Edit: i'm always trying out to play my own music - works too - awesome.

14. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Any news on a release date? This sounds great. INSTABUY for sure. Cheers guys.

15. protostarMatt

Sep 18, 2014
    #15 protostarMatt, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    We've almost locked down a release date. It should be soon. Very soon. I'll post it here as soon as it's announced. I've still got some promo codes left too, if anyone else wants one. :)

EDIT: Oh, and Qwertz555, we're planning to add more locations and cars in updates, as well as adding / improving features too.

16. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I was so impressed with Checkpoint Champion I supported Protostar with my $2 IAP, plus you get access to all three cars with special paint and optional ads. Great deal and a fantastic game. Hope this game earns you guys boatloads as its my most played game right now :D

17. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Grabbed the code, thanks so much.. I only just started, but I can already tell I'm gonna be playing this a lot. Love the art style, controls are great. Loads of fun. Grabbed the IAP as well to support. Cheers.

18. protostarMatt

Sep 18, 2014
    Thanks for the support, guys! Glad you're liking the game. If you notice any bugs or anything, please let us know and we'll get 'em fixed up in the first update.

19. protostarDean

protostarDean Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Indie game developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks all of you for the the kind words! It really means a lot to Matt and I :D

I think you may be right on that one.

Keep the suggestions coming! We'll be keeping a sharp eye out for things we should improve in our updates. There were plenty of things we would have liked to do but didn't have time to (like volume sliders).

Ha, I'm not sure if we get any of that $2 with a pre-release build or not. But that is awesome either way :)

20. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    You know, I wondered about that. If not, I'll certainly figure out another way to hook you guys up. It sucks if I just gave Apple my cash. YOU GUYS ROCK!