Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

View Poll Results: What was your favorite release the week of December 12?
Starborn Anarkist 22 43.14%
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas 11 21.57%
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga 6 11.76%
The Room Two 3 5.88%
Angry Birds Go 1 1.96%
Fiz: The Brewery Management Game 1 1.96%
Ski Safari: Adventure Time 5 9.80%
Suburbia 2 3.92%
Poppy Kart 0 0%
Reiner Knizia's Razzia - The Mafia Board Game 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2013, 03:47 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Glad to see a great indie kicking butt against the big boys. Not that GTA:SA or Lego Star Wars aren't good games. I just think, as others have said, Starborn brings something fresh to the table. Sure it looks like it could be just another DSS, but it shines in making you think about the ships you build and the significant impacts it can have with both physics and weaponry.

Also, not a slam against anyone who does like it, but it does being a smile to my face to see a greed (IMO) driven Angry Birds Go get it's due. Even though I've never been a huge AB fan (I do love the SW one), I used to have respect for Rovio and how generous they used to be with their fan base with big level updates, etc. But I fear the fame got to their heads with this one. And, yes, I did play it and found it on the dull side regardless.
cough cough Tiny Thief is $15 on Steam cough

Yes, with freemium crap so commonplace, seeing a quality premium IOS indie getting the recognition it deserves in the polls is great. Now TA and other sites just needs to review the game
Old 12-17-2013, 03:48 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Wow... impressive. Good job Anarkist!
... And you thought ports had an advantage... Tsk, tsk!

J/k

That's not very gentlemen like of me... But this does lay credence to the debate over on the GotY thread, in that ports don't need be excluded or are given to always have the advantage...
Old 12-17-2013, 03:57 PM
iPad mini

I'm really torn between Starborn Anarkist and Fiz, but at this point it looks like my vote wouldn't make a difference either way anyway.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:05 PM
In Time-Out
iPhone 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
cough cough Tiny Thief is $15 on Steam cough
Yikes. That's a good game (and technically Rovio Stars so kind of a little more "indie"), but justifiably that much higher for the PC version?

That's not nearly as bad as Angry Bird Star Wars for consoles --- $49.99!!! Kinect-support, 30 more levels...justifies 25X the price of iOS (including SW I and SW II)?!?!?! I think not!
Old 12-17-2013, 05:40 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bool Zero View Post
... And you thought ports had an advantage... Tsk, tsk!

J/k

That's not very gentlemen like of me... But this does lay credence to the debate over on the GotY thread, in that ports don't need be excluded or are given to always have the advantage...
Not really.

Like i said in one of my previous posts, there is a difference between a GotW pick and a GotY pick.

For a GotY pick, it has to keep its status and rep as a great game over the year. For GotW, first impressions play a greater role.

I love Starborn Anarkist, and i chose it over GTA SA for my GotW, but i am unsure if it will have that lasting effect on me. Plus, it wont be just me. How much of the userbase do you think would think of, buy and download Anarkist compared to those who will think of, buy and download GTA SA by, let's say, next year?

Makes me wonder... How many users have heard of Starborn Anarkist outside of Touch Arcade?

The number of times i've completed KOTOR since it was first released, the number of times i completed its sequel... Both on the PC. It has proven itself time and time again. And it is widely known that it isnt just me.

When Limbo came out on iOS it was the first time i played it. Insta-love. Since then, til now im still playing it. Finished it about 6 or 7 times already, but thoughts of deleting it still hasnt occured to me.

My point here is that these games have proven themselves not just to me, but to the majority of gamers regardless of gaming platform, and each incarnation has proven the games to be headstrong.

Their success is one of the main reasons they get ported.

Like I said, i love Starborn Anarkist, and i hope it does well financially, but the chances of it being generally accepted as a better game than most successful ports is pretty slim.

That said, none of us are wrong, although we have different standards in our GotY and GotW picks.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:56 PM
In Time-Out
iPhone 4S

^^ I almost always agree with you E-P, but his left me a little confused. I can't tell if you're still against ports in GoTY. To me, I still think they have an overall advantage just because of precious familiarity (particularly games like KOTOR, XCOM and GTA:SA....as opposed to the many smaller indie games that are technically ports from PC).

I still feel, as I expressed in the GoTY thread, that there should be a separate poll for ports and iOS originals. It's hard for any small indie game to compete with massive well known titles. But I lost that battle. And I still think it will be one of the big ports that wins (possibly with Asphalt 8 in there, although far from an original indie title).
Old 12-17-2013, 06:03 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
^^ I almost always agree with you E-P, but his left me a little confused. I can't tell if you're still against ports in GoTY. To me, I still think they have an overall advantage just because of precious familiarity (particularly games like KOTOR, XCOM and GTA:SA....as opposed to the many smaller indie games that are technically ports from PC).

I still feel, as I expressed in the GoTY thread, that there should be a separate poll for ports and iOS originals. It's hard for any small indie game to compete with massive well known titles. But I lost that battle. And I still think it will be one of the big ports that wins (possibly with Asphalt 8 in there, although far from an original indie title).
Dont worry... Im still with you on that.

Not really against ports, but like you said, I also see their advantage. I do agree that the best way for a GotY poll is to separate ports and originals.

But since the ruling in our GotY thread includes ports, no choice but to include what i consider to be one of the best games to grace the appstore, even if it is a port: SWKOTOR.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:19 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

And it wasn't even close! Nice to Starborn take the first place win over GTA
Old 12-19-2013, 02:24 PM
iPad mini 2

Nooo forgot to vote. Wait what... Starborn won? Wohoooo!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:08 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Congrats to ZeMind!