Big problem with iOS gaming and iCloud.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by liquidmutiny, Aug 2, 2012.

1. liquidmutiny

liquidmutiny Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I have a big problem with the current state of iOS gaming and iCloud. I've bought games from the App Store since the early days when there was nothing to play but Aurora Feint. I want to go back and play some of the games I bought in the beginning but they have been removed from the App Store. I paid for these games with my hard earned cash and I don't have access to it anymore.

I don't consider the game itself as a service. I consider it as something I own. Which is why I like physical media for games and movies. Am I the only one who feels we should always have access to the games we buy from the App Store?

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Welcome to the modern world of digital purchases and downloads ;)

3. liquidmutiny

Oct 31, 2009
    This is the big problem with iOS gaming and why gamers want to drive the price down to $0.99 or free. This is potentially the cause of the Freemium business model. Give me a 10 year product life cycle and backwards compatibility. Even though the digital content I buy is intangible, I still want that sense of ownership.

4. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #4 violentv, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    Like Royce mentioned..this is just something that comes with making a digital purchase...or making a purchase from a digital distribution platform with DRM(steam!). lol You are essentially paying to rent the game..until the day the distribution service/game goes down.

5. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    If they didn't stop selling a game after some point, they couldn't re-release it 15 years later as a retro mobile gaming classic!

6. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I know...it's happened many times to me. Another problem is when a paid app gets an update that either adds adverts or turns it into a freemium game.

For all the talk I hear on these boards about supporting indie devs, I think to myself, hey, indie devs, respect your customers! There are a number of devs I used to love but wouldn't touch a new release by them for 99 cents.

I understand the need to support future work, but if you want to see sales from that work, don't sacrifice your reputation. With over 500k apps in the store, it's one of the few things that can set you apart.

And don't give me crap about free goodies for paid customers or disabled adverts for the same. Release a seperate binary. We all know that existing customer perks are bs; the app has to be on your device at the time of the update.

I'm STILL pissed that 2 of my favorite games got ruined, the Trials of Tofu 1+2.

7. liquidmutiny

Oct 31, 2009
    I agree with you. If you release a game for 99 cents, there's nowhere to go but free. I think the App Store could use a bit more support from Apple in terms of setting expectations for premium apps. But then it comes down to the game. Are they the same quality that you would get on a console? Is it really worth that 15.99 price tag? I'd be interested to see the sales figures from Square Enix.

One thing I do miss in iPhone gaming is "Story Mode." iOS games are becoming freemium, endless anything games with no true sense of achievement. You feel cheated sometimes. Anyway, I'm still waiting of that game that blows me away. I'm an old school gamer and I'm not feeling the intangible digital domain. I hope the next gen consoles from Microsoft and Sony don't follow micro transaction model.