What do you think is the limit of inspiration before it becomes plagiarism?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Raph3Arts, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Raph3Arts

Raph3Arts Well-Known Member

So I am developing a game right now, called Plax (TA Forum) and I've always been a big fan of iOS games, so I know A LOT of them. The thing is, when I have an idea for something, unconsciously, it often comes from another game... It fits perfectly in my game, that's not something I added because it was "cool". However I have a lot of respect for the other developers, and I don't want to fall into plagiarism. Example : In Pivvot, when the player dies, the music slows down. If I also put that in my game, is there any chance I get pointed out by other experienced players?

So that's why I'd like to start a discussion about that!

What do you guys think?

P.S Feel free to comment about my game's screenshots and video! :)

2. RaindropGames

RaindropGames Active Member

It can be a difficult line to draw but what you described sounds fine to me. So much of what goes into current games is based on what came before. As long as you're differentiating your game sufficiently, I doubt many (if any) people would complain.

3. Option4Studios

Option4Studios Active Member

Jan 1, 2014
    It is a tricky area as no one wants their game copied but at the same time every game developer has to appreciate most of what they are putting into their game has come before.

If you want to see blatant plagiarism , then Google 'tiny towers copied'. If they'd changed some aspects of it they would have been fine as it would have been seen as progressing that genre and good competition. .

What you want to do is absolutely fine you don't need to worry.

4. Raph3Arts

Yeah my game is completly different than Pivvot, so I don't have to worry about that, it's just that they really did a good job on every little aspects of their game and being copied suck :p

I heard about Zynga (and others) copying Tiny Tower, it's really a shame that a whole and big company cloned a game made by only 3 people just because it was the game of the year!

But on the other hand, that kind of game is complete clone (and we don't have to talk about Flappy Bird), not just inspiration taken from another game, so that's why I'm worried about getting some little concepts from other games :p I kindda feel bad about that!

If you tell me that I'm not a bad dev whatsoever and that I shouldn't worry about that, then it's fine by me :)

5. NAFNA GAMES

NAFNA GAMES Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    do stuff during the day. indie developer at night.
    Barcelona.
    no clear line.

the limit between inspiration and plagiarism is very difficult to determine, because it has a lot to do with the creators intention ...

i actually made a video on this dealing with this limit, you tell me, is it influence? tribute? copy? ...

complicated ...

6. Raph3Arts

Well my intentions are purely good; only to make the best experience possible for the players and delivering an entertaining game, just like every dev! :p

7. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    The amount of lawyers who harass you?

8. Raph3Arts

Hahaha nice one! :D Hopefully it won't happen to any of us!

9. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #9 september, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    Reskinning an idea to me is the line, which unfortunately a lot of people do. Taking an idea and making it your own, it's own experience is what distinguishes a copy from something that's been inspired.