Sprite resources on the internet?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by DopyG, Apr 11, 2011.

1. DopyG

DopyG Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Do anyone here knows if community made sprite resources made for RPG Makers are okay to use for a commerical app?

Or should I be afraid of the original makers to come and sue me?

There is alot of sprite resources for the old RPG Makers lying on the internet and alot of them are made by inactive users on forums, so it is really hard to contact the original creators...

If I make a commercial iPhone app which will get success should I fear a lawsuit in case the creator buys the game?

What should I do? Alot of these sprites are made by people well knowing that they would be used for games, but alas not commercial iOS games -.-

Should I just give credits to the forum nickname of the dude who made the original sprite? e.g.: Sprites: Made by user Lulz45 on rpgrevolution.com

2. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Well, i am sure if they are intended to be free for use than you can use them!The best thing would be to talk to the ones that made the sprites if it's ok to use them!Maybe yeah give them credits!

3. DopyG

DopyG Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Yeh credit are 100 % the way to go. Its hard to talk with them or contact them since RPG Maker VX is like 4 years old now and alot of people have abandoned the forums -.- This is why people should somehow tie forums accounts with emails so they can be contacted later :I

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    do not use any ressources you are not 100% sure are free for commercial use.

free does not mean for commercial purpose.. most "free" stuff on the internet is free for personal use only. if you can't find a license text that comes with art assets and can't contact the original author, don't use them..

5. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    +1, the last you want is to have to give away a large chunk of your profits and/or get sued in the prime of your game's success.

6. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

Why would you make a commercial game using generic sprites downloaded from the Internet? The graphics of your game are a central component of it. If you can't do them yourself, you should get someone to make sprites specifically for your game.

Games made with "borrowed" graphics tend to look really bad, not because the graphics are bad in themselves, but because they don't go well with the game and with each other. If somehow you manage to get sprite sheets with an homogeneous style that also matches your game, then probably you're making a generic game...