How to port Flash games to iPhone?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by KGameLover1, Jan 17, 2010.

1. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    I make games with Flash, and I have heard there are INDEED ways to port Flash to iPhone. (just look at South Park: Mega Millionaire. It was made in Flash.)
    I know there is the "Compiler for iPhone" that allows you to put any ActionScript, .fl, or AIR file into the SDK for 3.1.2, but that doesn't come out until the 2nd quarter of the year.

So, if anyone has any tips, please tell me. Thanks much. :)

2. KGameLover1

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    Anyone know anything about this?? :confused:

3. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Yes, Adobe is building Flash to iPhone compilation into the next version of Flash CS5. That functionality is currently in a closed beta, meaning that until CS5 comes out, you won't be able to do it. The south park game was built using the beta. If you've got something really cool in Flash that you think would work on the iPhone, you can email [email protected] and you might be able to convince them to let you in on the beta.

Other than that, there is definitely no other way to do it, so you'll just have to sit tight and wait like everyone else ;)

More info here: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashcs5/appsfor_iphone/

4. KGameLover1

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    Awwww.... I had heard there was a manual way.

Oh well. I'll just wait for the CS5 Flash beta then. :(

5. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    #5 ElectricGrandpa, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    Yeah, the only manual way is actually recreating your game from scratch for the iPhone(which is what I'm doing).

6. KGameLover1

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    Ah.... :confused:

7. mksmith

mksmith New Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I think you should read some manuals coming with iPhone or visit its site to get proper way of setup rather than going for such tips.

8. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Fair warning: If your plan is to do a quick conversion of your web game and then rake in the profits, it's unlikely that you'll succeed. When translating between platforms, you have to play to the strengths of that platform or players will see the title for what it is: a cheap conversion.

I'm not saying you can't use Flash (though I wouldn't cry if it suddenly disappeared in a puff of smoke ;)), but you do have to enhance your game for the platform when you do your port.

Just some friendly advice. :)

9. KGameLover1

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    #9 KGameLover1, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    Wow, you guys dug up an old thread.... I'm past this now. Thanks for the help though. :)

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    What does that even mean? He's asking a development question and you recommend he reads the manual that "came with his iPhone"? Am I missing something? The "tips" he's been given are actually facts and following them would be a great start.

11. KGameLover1

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    LOL..... thanks Midian.

12. slashandburn

slashandburn Active Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Birmingham, Al
    From my experience going backwards, from iPhone to Flash is pretty straight forward, most of the code is simular and if coded right could be ported within a few days. For example I took the code for Port Defender and made an online flash version.

But porting from action code to Obj-C is going to be messy, it would be better to actually port the game over manually, I don't know what magic the ActionScript to Binary converter is going to do, but will it create texture atlases, load/drop textures on demand, and handle more then 3 fingers pressing on the screen at once?