Anybody used Triplepoint PR?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by derpderp, Mar 8, 2012.

1. derpderp

derpderp Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Hi all,

Im thinking of using Triplepoint PR to promote my game, I have heard people say they are good but no one has said they have actually used them.

Thanks

Derp.

2. Capedy_Toni

Capedy_Toni Active Member

Mar 8, 2012
    I would like to hear some real experiences too

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

No idea about actual results and ROI but the people who work there are all cool guys.

4. David Phan

David Phan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    President & Producer
    Vancouver
    Here's a link to an older article from GDC 2010 where David Whaley of Critical Thought took to the stage to talk about "The Secret to App Store Success" based on his experience with his games geoDefense and geoDefense Swarm. His budget was $15,000 and he provides an outline of some of the PR work done by Triplepoint and how it was key to his app's success.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/03/11/gdc-2010-the-secret-to-app-store-success/

DP

5. ken1980

ken1980 Member

Mar 8, 2012
    I contacted them to represent my game, but they refused to take the project. I got the impression that they are fairly picky? I thought it would be easier to have a PR firm represent the game as I woud be paying them $$$, but that didn't seem to be the case.

Strangely, Chillingo wanted to publish the game so I went with them. I thought this was weird because here I was thinking that a publisher were more picky? This was around 1.5 years ago.

6. derpderp

Nov 17, 2011
    $15000?!

Thats five times my budget, damn!

7. David Phan

David Phan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    President & Producer
    Vancouver
    @derpderp, check out the user comments below in that GDC post. Two of the user comments pitched their PR companies as well that you might want to look into:

http://www.appency.com/

http://appular.com/

G'luck and share any findings if you can.

DP

8. Capedy_Toni

Capedy_Toni Active Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Those two look good

9. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    We are in discussion with them about launching our Great Little War Game sequel in a couple of months time.

So far they seem very professional and pumped about our game. But of course they've seen it so that's understandable, lol. :)

Obviously nothing to report about their effects yet as we haven't started, but just by the kinda things they've been saying, I think we'll get our money's worth.

Good PR representation isn't cheap, but if your game is any good is going to be way cheaper than letting a publisher take around half your gross earnings forever instead.

10. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #10 Big Albie, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
    I used to work on the PR agency side and $15k is pretty standard for a baseline program. If you're going this route, be savvy about who you work with. PR people are trained to be courteous so don't let that fool you. If you're a reporter or blogger, they'll be especially nice to you since they look at you as a means to an end.

Make sure they ask you the right questions and you receive honest feedback about your game. Part of that means being realistic with yourself. If your game isn't really that great, no amount of PR will help you.

If budget is an issue, consider hiring a freelancer who in most cases is much more affordable and I would argue much more effective. The reason is that PR agencies and their staff typically work on multiple accounts which means their time is spread out. Freelancers tend to be more focused and may give you better value.

11. derpderp

Nov 17, 2011
    Ive heard nothing but good things about tripplepoint pr, I wish I had 15k :D

12. ken1980

ken1980 Member

Mar 8, 2012
    It is not out yet. I'm working with the publisher for the final step (icons, etc). I expect it will be out in a couple of months.

13. ken1980

ken1980 Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Thank you :)

Yes, it's been taking a really long time. The game has been done for a while now, but the last few touches seem to be taking forever :)

14. RichardKain

RichardKain New Member

Mar 9, 2012
    TriplePoint budgets & client selection

Hello folks. To chime in from the TriplePoint horse's mouth:

Budgets we propose widely vary depending on the needs of the developer. That can be wildly different than $15,000 though that is probably our median engagement. So don't let that dissuade you from touching base with us if you're doing something innovative or very nicely polished that a PR campaign could really help. When we do think we can help, our preferred pricing is a revenue share program of 10% (of your net, not gross) which aligns interest in your success nicely.

We are selective in the companies that we work with, though sometimes we have to pass just because all our staff is booked up. If you contract out your PR find someone really pumped about your work or no matter what $ you pay it will be wasted.

To be honest, it is hard for PR to make a difference now in indie app gaming. Budgets both for production and marketing are very high now from established or well-funded companies, so the market is very different from 2009. Many companies we talk to would benefit from putting their PR budgets into the games' production values or improving the viral mechanics.

If you want the basics of what an indie can do on their own, which will suffice for most developers, please see the presentation we made to the NY Game Meetup: http://vimeo.com/14463498

Thanks for thinking of us and good luck!

Rich Kain
    General Manager
    [email protected]

15. artcue

artcue Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Gamedeveloper, Co-Founder of Artcue
    Vienna, Austria
    I also think going with a PR firm has many advantages over going with a publisher.
    They do not want your code or your IP ect.
    So if you can afford them, I think they are a better choice.

16. GarrettVD

GarrettVD Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Facebook Integration Consultant
    Canada
    Hi,

I had contacted them last year regarding doing some PR for my iPhone application. However, they were extremely unprofessional in the way they dealt with me; they wouldn't respond to emails or direct phone calls, and even didn't show up to a scheduled meeting because they "had something come up"; as if my time wasn't valuable. I was willing to shell out $5k+, too. Their loss.

So, I do not recommend them AT ALL. I've had more success speaking with Walker Sands in Chicago, IL.

17. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    TriplePoint did us well when we used them for Pickpawcket. I'll definitely be looking them up again for our future releases!

Even though I know it's not true, they really did make it feel like I was the only customer they were working with at the time. Emails were replied to within the hour, phone call meetings were set up, and they emailed me screenshots of every review that was posted minutes after google searches picked them up.

18. GarrettVD

GarrettVD Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Facebook Integration Consultant
    Canada
    @Blackharon You really have to let me know who your marketing rep was there! Perhaps I got they one guy that didn't want to have anytthing to do with indie developers.

19. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    #19 Blackharon, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
    I submitted this and a little more as a PM to another user, but here it is:

They worked with us for a total of 6 weeks. 1 week prior to launch and 5 weeks afterwards. In all, I assume they can be attributed to 10ish big name review sites picking up our app for features or mini-features (including TA, IGN, and Slide to Play) and a few smaller sites as well. It's impossible to tell if they were the sole influence for these reviews since we were talking in many of their forums and/or the review sites might have seen the others talking about Pickpawcket and copy-catted, but I'll give TriplePoint credit for most of the reviews out there.

We had an update adding more levels during the time they were promoting us and they again got a handful of the sites that liked the game originally to make more posts saying new content is out.

I don't have the exact cost that we spent, but do know we got an indie developer discount. The higher-ups at Loopycube took care of that aspect of negotiations.

20. sh13ld

sh13ld Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    Co-founder & CEO
    Finland
    Yep, thank you Blackharon for the info! Seems like a good company.