If you remove a game from your iPhone, does your saved progress also get deleted?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Nibbz, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Nibbz

Nibbz Member

Dec 16, 2011
    I have too many apps, too many games, and too much music. I have the 16 gig iPhone, and it gets frustrating trying to manage space considering I want to have most if not all of my purchased apps on my iPhone so I don't forget about them, essentially wasting money. I understand you can go into your purchased apps that are not on your iPhone in the app store and redownload, but I'm wondering if when I do delete the games, does my saved progress also get deleted, or is it somehow stored in the cloud or saved to my account?

Thanks for any and all responses and I apologize if this is a common question asked on these boards.

2. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    It will be deleted unless the game specifically stores saved data on some servers somewhere. Some OpenFeint/Plus+ enabled games do this, and all of those freemium games that require you to be connected to the internet do as well, but the vast majority of games do not.

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    iCloud exists you know... :rolleyes:

4. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Ok, well if I don't have I cloud and don't have games synced to my computer if I delete them Id have to pay for them again? I thought I read somewhere that once u bought a game u could go back and buy it free but I went back to a game I deleted and I think I woulda still had to pay...

5. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Not all games utilize iCloud saves.

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Oh i thought you meant game progress. Anyway, u can remove and then get back for free. Open app store on idevice, click updates, then purchases and install any of your downloaded apps

7. simmolick

simmolick Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Animation Boss
    Spain
    Yes, my friend...when you delete a game..you will lose all your progress.

Example:...if you delete Real racing 2 with all champions race win and a lot of achivements unlocked, when you will re-install Real racing 2 you can recover just the achivements (sync with Game Center)..but not your game progress ( cars, races..etc..etc..)

...But..I know a good pc program that can help you to save in your pc the files of your iphone saved game. It call "Diskaid".
    With this program you can save your iphone files in your pc...than you can delete any games without any problems...and restore it when you want.

..I hope this "trick" can help you.

8. Nibbz

Nibbz Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Is there a MAC program like this?

9. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    I don't know of any way to maintain progress made in individual game apps apart from making sure that the app doesn't get deleted or overwritten by a progress-deleting update.

Some games are reportedly starting to offer iCloud save-games either by original design or via app updates, but most games still don't allow lost progress to be recovered directly in the event the app is deleted.

Some weeks ago I lost all progress in several games (1-bit Ninja and Gears, to name a few) when my 8GB ipod touch suddenly displayed the original iTunes connection icon after I tried to delete one app while another was installing (a freak occurrence, obviously); if iOS had had removable media, then all my progress would have been routinely saved on a card instead of lost forever.

10. pixlepix

pixlepix Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    This is one of the main reasons why I have a jailbroken phone. I save about a gig on my i touch by deleting high-memory games and backing up save data with ifile, then resotreing when I want to play.

11. coolwizardz

coolwizardz New Member

Mar 2, 2013
    hi, can u please tell in which directory are the game progress files stored so that i can move them with ifile.

12. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Active Member

Oct 25, 2013
    LAS / OKC
    Ok just a Fall 2013 update to this topic.

So does this still stand true as of today?

(With the exception of games that stores saved progress to its own servers or iCloud), If I delete a game, there is no way to save the game progress data?

For instance, i'm on flag 700,030 on Plants vs Zombies. The only way to save this progress is to keep the game data saved on iCloud. However, if I delete the game, that iCloud saved data is completely gone as well, correct?

TIA

13. That doesn't make any sense. There wouldn't be a point in having iCloud if it really worked that way.

iCloud saves your data so you can either reinstall and play the game at a later time with all your progress intact, or install it on another device with all your data intact.

14. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Active Member

Oct 25, 2013
    LAS / OKC
    I can do it with a jailbroken iPhone (save individual game data), just wondering if I can do it without jailbreaking (keeping it simple). I guess not.

15. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    There's software that can extract files from the device. ifunbox and iexplorer are a couple to check out.

16. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Active Member

Oct 25, 2013
    LAS / OKC
    Thanks for the suggestion! ifunbox is real easy to use. Much better than my jailbreak method.