The Xbox 360 Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by jacksoncombs, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    #2821 Electric_Shaman, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    The pace of the game does gain some momentum outside the demo, but agreed, the characters could move faster, and I really hate the uber close camera of the tiny main character (but you're stacked inside someone bigger 99% of the time so it's not a huge issue). I guess it seems slow because at heart, it is a puzzle game. Or I guess a solution game would be more accurate :D
    Still, I hardly notice it now, and it's not the worst culprit for slow moving characters by any means, goddamn open world RPGs are stereotypically painful for me.

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    This is undoubtedly going to be the second best fighting game ever (number 1 will always go to Virtua Fighter 4 for me). It looks... incredible. I'm so glad they're moving back from 3D fighting to 2D.

3. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Yep. I wanted to get it today but it will have to wait until the weekend I think. My friend got it and I played it at his house, it is really awesome. I loved MvC 2 so I am super excited about getting this one. My friend is pretty bad at fighting games, but he won our first match of MvC 3 because I was trying out new characters. I proceeded to beat him 5 times in a row, but he still flaunts that first win that he got.

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Is MvC 3 newbie friendly? I love SFIV on my iPhone, but it's a struggle to have fun on the Xbox. It sounds like MvC 3 has a newbie controls mode, and that sounds great, but then it also sounds like it's focused on online, which seems not newbie friendly, especially if you're put up against people playing with full controls (are you?) Also, with the 3 characters on a team thing, the game sounds complicated. So I don't know if I should get it or not.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It's about as simple as fighting games get, bar Smash Bros. It is mostly online though, the offline modes are shallow and quite frankly, boring... so as soon as the casual crowd start to drop off you'll be left fighting people who won't let you get a single hit in. The best reason for getting it would undoubtedly be local multiplayer, against friends you know share a similar skill level, or even ones that could train you up a bit.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Dang, well I guess I'll pass on MvC... at least until some perhaps future day when I don't suck royally at these console brawlers. :)

What I'd really like is to see an update to SSFIV that adds a "newbie controls" mode to make it work more like the iPhone version, at least for single player. I'd even happily pay for it as DLC. Give me my "P" button, et. al. :) I tweeted to @iCapcom such, but I'm sure they never take such things into account.

7. Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    My house
    So, despite being a sissy baby, I gave in a week ago and bought Dead Space 2 off of Amazon. It came in yesterday. I'm currently on chapter 6 and WOW. I had no idea what I was missing. The game is awesome! Some may rip on me for not having played the first one, but I will for sure buy it after this. There are no words to describe the epic. Now excuse me while I go change my pants.

8. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Was it difficult for you to understand the story? I played the first one but didnt beat it and then played the second at a friends house and was confused as shit.

9. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    I think it is newbie friendly. Example: My friend who doesnt like fighting games played MvC 2 with me all the time and bought MvC 3 on day one. It is the only game of the type that he likes. The 3 character teams aren't complicated, it just adds strategy to the game but it is easy to comprehend. You get one player out at a time but can call in assists from teammates or switch out entirely. When characters are out, they heal up their red health bar, so that is the main reason for switching them out.

I'd say give it a shot, I'm honestly not good at the game and would be considered a "n00b" but I love it. I don't usually play online with random people because I would get my ass kicked, but I play online with my friends all the time (it is great because I can beat them). I think for this game though I want to get really good and start playing online. Just like any other game, it takes practice to be good.

10. Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    My house
    Nah. I managed to get the story pretty quickly. But if you're not a fast learner, there's a "previously on Dead Space" video you can watch from the menu that explains everything.

11. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    I though Dead Space 2 was hella fun, I didn't play the first one but the video did indeed summarize what happened and helped me get a better understanding of the story. The game is probably one of my favorites with lots of replay value. I recommend beating it on normal then going for a hardcore playthrough, the reward is super worth it (YouTube it)

12. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    I've gone and got Dead Space 2 now as well :D

It was on offer in HMV for £25, cheaper than anything I've seen online, and that's not even factoring in the postage yet. High street stores are being competitive now?

Anyway, the game is great, haven't got too far yet but it seems pretty fun. Hadn't played the first, but had no trouble following the story.
    Does anyone know what the optimal looting method is? I spent way too much time on the first few levels messing around, stomping on bodies for ages seeing if anything else came out. Any tips? Are bodies just laying around generally harder to find loot in? (as opposed to bodies of stuff you've killed) Once you've got something out of a body, should you carry on stomping it to see if there's more?

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    #2833 MidianGTX, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
    I haven't played 2 yet, but in the first game a body only drops one item. I think the item always comes out with the first limb that drops off (Edit: or explodes) due to stamping.

14. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Most of that I'm not sure, but from what I played in the demo and first game: one item per body.

15. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    Thanks guys, that seems to be true in Dead Space 2 as well. That'll save me a lot of time stomping on bodies.

Just finished Chapter 5, pretty awesome boss fight at the end there. Seems like a nice place to wrap it up for the night too.

16. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I know I should be shot for not playing it earlier, but I feel like giving the Mass Effect series a go before No.3 comes out.

The original to me looks like it has a lot of issues and reports from friends say it drags on.. ALOT. Seeing how ME2 has received so much praise, should I start off the series with this title as I'm not a huge RPG fan. How vital is knowing the story from the first to the sequel?

17. Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    My house
    While certain games like Dead Space don't require you to play the series in order to enjoy it, you MUST play the first Mass Effect before the second. The story in that series is much more complex, and the first game does a great job of establishing it. Not only that, but your choices from the first game carry over into the second game if you choose to keep your save and import your character. Doing it this way, though, the game becomes much more personalized.

The first one does have issues (not to mention that it's pretty difficult even on normal), but the good far outweighs the bad. The cast is awesome, The dialogue system is fun, and the combat is satisfactory. Do yourself a favor and play through the series in complete order.

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't think you need to play the first at all. In fact there are now thousands upon thousands of PS3 owners who are loving the second without having played the first. I played the first for quite a while but eventually got bored of the slow pace and crappy combat and jumped ahead to the second, no regrets.

It did drag on and have a bunch of issues, and the only thing you'd be playing it for is the story, which is easily caught up on via YouTube videos or perhaps reading the Mass Effect Wiki. There is the whole thing about your save file descisions, but there weren't actually that many... the PS3 version makes you answer questions to determine how your game plays out, but I'm not sure if the 360 version does the same when it lacks a previous save.

19. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    I agree, and the interactive comic is just fine, a quick easy way to get through the first and make your choices then get to the second. Then you won't end up spending money on the first either.

20. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Well, that's if he's going to get the PS3 version, which would make more sense if he doesn't plan on playing the first.