Universal Kingturn RPG - (by Mangobile)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 11, 2013.

1. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Mangobile. Designer & Developer
    Germany
    So far it looks quite promising.

At the end of May the beta version of Tactics Maiden should be entirely finished, so I'm aiming at a closed beta test starting in the first or second week of June (depending also on the app approval process by Apple).

While waiting for the app approval, I wanted to open up a corresponding Tactics Maiden thread then.

Basically the remaining tasks for the beta version are:

-Writing the dialogues for the last 5 bonus scenarios
    - Story and dialogue editing done by a professional writer and editor
    - Overhauling the current reward system (either dynamic rewards or achievements / badges based on the player performance). Basically a system that doesn't put casual players at a disadvantage, but gives hardcore players more incentive for replaying scenarios.
    -'Final' play testing and balancing of all units and all 80 scenarios

I've done quite a lot of play testing already, and Tactics Maiden seems to be (bug wise) in a very good shape.
    The final release date will then very much depend on the feedback during the beta test, of course.

The beta test itself is supposed to be completely informal, without any obligations, and without a time constraint.
    That said, I will give a few hints about the kind of feedback I'm looking for, and you can just ingore it then, and tell me what's on your mind instead :).

It would be great, if I could interest some of the very active Kingturn thread posters in the beta test of Tactics Maiden.
    Among them (in alphabetical order):
    bigred447uk, DaviddesJ, iPadisGreat, Isilel, mekanikal fiend, Mephala, nestor, nullzone, TinyKitty, undeadcow, Yerti1.

I've just quickly put this list together now, so I'm pretty sure I've forgot someone.
    Apologies for that.

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Of course I'm in, very happy Panda here ;)

And if you want to hear my opinion, throw us what you have already (or as soon as it's somewhat playable). While having professional dialogues during beta is nice, it's basically icing on the cake. And we can provide gameplay feedback without Pulitzer-price writing ;)

Also, do you really need Apple for that? I thought Testflight is completely separate from Apple and their Appstore?

3. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #563 niebau, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    Absolutely valid points.

I guess I'm kind of a hardliner when it comes to beta testing, preferring what I would call a 'true beta test':
    Instead of officially releasing the 'finished' product to the public, it gets tested by a few players first.
    Including unlocking the full version via in-app purchase (which is set to $0 during the beta test of course).
    That's why I would prefer using Apple's App Store directly instead of e.g. Testflight.

The story and dialogue editing will (hopefully) be more than just a grammar check.
    It might turn out that the order of some of the scenarios has to be changed, which would lead to compatibility issues with existing game saves.

All of this doesn't mean that I'm not absolutely open for changes based on beta test feedback, of course. The whole thing would be pointless otherwise.

I just don't want to waste the players' time by offering a half-finished, bug-ridden app.

Anyway, it's great to have the first highly motivated candidate on board :).

Edited note for clarification: Most likely we will use a tool like Testflight for the beta test, of course, especially for feedback related patches.
    With an initial (real) app store version I just wanted to make sure that there will be no surprises later on,
    e.g. app denial during the approval process or issues with IAP.

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Are there iOS gamers out there still not playing Kingturn?
    Count me in too, I'm flattered to be considered for the beta. I'm really excited to hear about Maiden Tactics' momentum.

5. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #565 niebau, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
    Awesome. I'm looking especially forward to your thoughts about the scenario and unit statistics.
    After all, this wouldn't be part of Tactics Maiden without your doing.

Most of the things will look familiar, since they are based on your various posts concerning this topic.
    The layout isn't entirely finished yet, but here are the first screen shots already.

I'll post them again in the Tactics Maiden thread coming soon, then we can discuss everything in detail (I'm sure the screen shots will raise a few questions).
    For now just consider this as another teaser.

Attached Files:

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Looking good!

[​IMG]

7. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #567 niebau, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    The closed beta test of Tactics Maiden has to be postponed to late June / early July.
    Balancing all 84 scenarios, the new skill point system, as well as the new class ability system combined with status effects like Poisoned or Silenced turned out to be much more time consuming than initially expected.

That said, the game play of Tactics Maiden has exceeded my own expectations so far, and I think Kingturn fans have something to look forward to.

8. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
  9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Hooray, he is still alive! :)
    Glad to hear you made such good progress, moving over to the new thread.
    And eagerly waiting for the betatest, of course.

10. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Count me in if I'm not too late. Very keen. Can't wait to see the evolution of the Kingturn series. These three games are in my 'classics' folder for keeps.

11. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
  12. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    'Spring cleaning' patch for the Kingturn series

The overhauled version of all 3 Kingturn titles is available on the store now:

- Higher resolution graphics and fonts
    - Some graphics entirely replaced (e.g. overland map, some GUI parts, dungeon tiles, and a few visual effects)
    - Minor UI improvements, e.g. units can move around even if a skill was selected
    - Tapping on enemies shows their move & attack range
    - A few animations replaced and new animations added, e.g. Stealth animation, or flying arrows and staff missiles
    - Sound system overhauled
    - A few minor AI improvements
    - Dropbox support
    - A few minor changes to some of the scenarios

13. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    #573 nyanpass, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    I recently got recommended this game and am glad to know this game. This is the SRPG I was looking for. I feel something nice and nostalgic in this game. What is this great developer doing by now? I would like to see the developer's next work. :)

14. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
  15. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017