Universal One Finger Death Punch (by Mobirix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Just thought I'd report back that even tho I bought the memebers pack that gives you each rewards daily etc. I'm still getting video ads in between every two rounds I play which is really starting to get annoying.
    So buying the iap doesn't remove the adverts!!!
    Still enjoying the game and I know the Dev will want to make money but come on adverts this often is a bit to much.

2. logik2000

logik2000 Member

Jan 18, 2013
    The announcement in-game mentions fixes they're working on and one of them is a "pop up bug" or something like that. I think they may be referring to what you're talking about.

3. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Never played this game on Xbox, so I went in pretty neutral. It seems like a pretty decent game. Of course it would be better without timers and ads (thanks SP for the heads up on IAPs), but so far, it's not bad. I dig the simple control scheme. I'm still trying to figure everything out though. I've only sunk about 20-30 minutes so far. I'd still say it's worth a download. Especially if you don't have the Xbox version.

4. pointaken47

pointaken47 Member

Jul 25, 2013
    I downloaded this exact version on Android a few months back after Markiplier played it, did not go pass the first stage cos it forced me to sign in to Google Play Games even though there was a bug that made me keep failing the sign-in process. So I literally was stuck replaying the first tutorial stage until I decided to delete it. Downloading the iOS version now with slightly higher expectations...

Btw, the publisher, MOBIRIX, imo is very revenue-centric in the games they (re)publish for mobile. I get it, it's free, you're a big company, and you need revenue. But at least monetize it better.

5. 64o

64o Member

Jul 7, 2014
    F2P mechanics are more abstracted than usual due to there being multiple currencies and the actual cost to purchase being hidden until after you've entered your password. seems like the purchase to make if you're gonna is the £2.29 for 900 gold which you can then convert into 1350 stamina. annoying how you don't immediately get the 900 gold on purchase but rather 30 gold a day and being dependent on your logging in. another annoyance is its on iPad Air at least being fullscreen for the dev logos (including obnoxious shouting of the studio's name) but then it switches to letterbox format. ignore the one star ratings as with a few small tweaks this'll be a top tier iOS game

6. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Too bad I didnt see this before buying. Played alot without any ads UNTIL I purchased and immediately got ads. Hope theyll fix it.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    This has got to be an app store first: Buy IAP: get ads! :(

I'm sure they will fix it.

8. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

In Ad Purchase, perhaps? :rolleyes:

9. modus_ataraxia

modus_ataraxia Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    #29 modus_ataraxia, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    I guess I'll just keep playing their game for free every once in a while, until they decide to put a full game unlock, unrestricted IAP for $4.99.

When you want me to spend any money, give me the option.

10. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Haha same happened to me. No ads then I bought the iap and got them o_O strange lol.

11. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Small tweaks? It sounds like they have to rework their entire monetization scheme.

12. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Absolutely they do. I mean come on 2 currencies, an energy system, and then a subscription purchase where in order to get the entire benefit you must log in every single day or you miss out. It's ridiculous and insane. And then you add in the new feature where you actually get ads if you make a purchase rofl.

Billy

13. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    My weak spot for stickman games let me download this f2p feast. An hour-ish later, replaying the first chapter to get the hang of it and always leveling up, i still have enough of stamina to have an Implosion-like fun, specially due to those perfect responsive controls.

But it won't stay that way, right?
    I'll enjoy it as long as i can before my delete finger goes to work. Very pity, i easily would have paid ten bucks.

@Mobirix
    Your german translation is close to body violence.

@Exact Psience
    Touch Fu (by Daniel Truong, no GC)

14. 64o

64o Member

Jul 7, 2014
    for £2.29 you get to play 1350 stages without having to worry about timers or stamina recharging. the App Store's savage, thousands of games released a week and a user base that's loathe to pay for any of it. success for paid games is so unusual that ustwogames released an infographic their numbers and for every Monument Valley there's a Battle for Wesnoth that's unknown. this version of One Finger Death Punch has its problems but that's one of the things i love about about iOS gaming, its iterative process, no having to pay $40,000 to a hardware manufacturer each time you want to release a patch, like was the case with the last cycle of consoles. automatically one starring a new release just because you don't like the business model they've opted is an extremely limited way of voicing your disapproval

15. modus_ataraxia

Jan 7, 2015
    And for 4.99, I should be able to play as much of the game that I bought as I like, as well as get unlockables like new fighting styles, weapons, and items without having to reach into my wallet every time I should be getting something fresh that other games provide for free. Like the 1FDP version on Steam (that's not on mac).

For every F2P nightmare model like this, there's a ton of developers that provide options to the consumer. This should be fixed, and I'm not paying a cent until it is, which means I'm likely SOL. But that's $5 less for them, too, all for not adding a button.

16. setomoto

setomoto Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2015
    Literally, almost every freaking thing worth purchasing must be bought with gold. I would really want to pay for a 2x multiplier or something but the closest option is a 30 day subscription. Its benefit details aren't bery clear except the perk of 30 gold for 30 days (and what happens after? Recurring billing? More gifts draws?)... I feel like the game is trying to hook those 2% players who probably won't mind paying for every skill and equipment. I am very willing to pay for a good game, but I really think there are better ways to monetize from players than Paywalls and Timers.

When I first saw OFDP was xbla exclusive, my heart was broken. Then they announced it would be iOS I was really happy! Now my heart has been broken again. Maybe I dont love the game enough.

17. 64o

64o Member

Jul 7, 2014
    if only it were as simple as releasing on the App Store for the same price it's available on Steam. how about instead the screaming into pillows that you're all doing currently, you actually do something constructive, message both devs on Twitter, fingers crossed you might get a reply. Silver Dollar Games haven't been posting the last month and Mobirix's posts are mostly in Korean but we might get some answers as to if the ads appearing after making an IAP is a bug and if they're gonna display the prices for them more clearly. as an aside, Silver Dollar Games commented on how difficult the port process was proving to be

18. modus_ataraxia

Jan 7, 2015
    App description:
    Experience cinematic kung-fu battles in the fastest, most intense brawler the world has ever seen! With the unique 1:1 response system of One Finger Death Punch, players will feel the immediate feedback of every money-crunching wallet hit!
    Pay tribute to the masters (literally!) using the one free classic kung-fu style mixed with a few unpaid weapons. Dream of getting face-to-face combat with throwing weapons to recreate complex fight choreographies, or just send money to get it now. Complete the epic 140 stage campaign five levels at a time, then wait an hour for more!
    Choose from 1 item and 1 different skill, and 68 more that can be purchased in thousands of ways to assist you in your journey.
    Put your one free kung-fu to the ultimate test in the survival mode where you will be ranked with players from around the world, assuming you can access the online modes at all!

Every Press Matters! DO NOT BUTTON MASH! You'll waste 10 minutes of stamina for 6 seconds of gameplay!

19. modus_ataraxia

Jan 7, 2015
    #39 modus_ataraxia, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    Had enough. Deleted the app.

As much as I want to love this game, It's obvious what they've done to it. I'm on stage 51, Volcano level 1, which is barely 1/3 of the way through the game. I spent all my available silver upgrading the only available F2P style, Mantis. It's +5, which gives me the most possible HP for where I'm at, without burning silver on a one time use item, or by spending money. This is close to maxing out a style, mind you, only 1/3 through the game. BUT...

Every attack kills me in one hit. My character is unable to take a single hit in a precision game, making me weaker overall than where I started. Regardless of upgrading, unless I'm spending money, I am going to burn through free stamina, because it has been balanced to get me to spend. Each tiny mistake literally costs me another 10 minutes of waiting, woth no room for error. But hey, I could circumvent that for a while, if I spend money, right? Not permanently, though, because there's more money to be made.

I'm out. What a colossal disappointment.

20. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    This is the first in a multi-part series of posts (I had a lot to say about this port):

This port is a waste of time. That doesn't mean that the game is bad, but that this port is not worth your effort nor your patience.

To present as evidence to my assertion, I will compare the original game on Steam on PC to this port to highlight the differences and explain why those differences make this port a waste of time.

First off, there is no stamina system in the PC version. Instead, there is a game speed system, where the better you played the game, the faster the game would get, and the worse you played the game, the slower the game would get down to its base speed of 100 percent game speed. This means that players seeking a challenge would quickly get it after a few stages, while those who struggle with the game won't be thrown into the game's deep end of difficulty until they build the skill necessary to push the game's challenge level. This puts player progression into the hands of the players, and let's the players dictate how they want, or can, play the game. The stamina system prevents players from playing the game how they want, because their ability to play and have fun with the game is tied to a finite resource, which means that any failure is an immediate punishment. Either you play the game perfectly (or with a very small margin of error), or you don't get to play at all, and must wait before you get the chance to try again and hopefully not screw up.

The stamina system is worse than the game's original system because it wastes all players' time. Those who easily grasp the gameplay may not run out of stamina as fast as others because leveling up grants bonus stamina that has no cap, as far as I know, and the better you do in the game and its gameplay the more the game rewards you, but the stamina is still a finite amount. Eventually, no matter how good at the game you are, you will run out of stamina, and the game regenerates only five stamina after you use up all of your stamina. Every stage takes no longer than a minute or two, which means that five regenerating stamina equals only five to ten minutes of gameplay. Since it takes ten minutes to regenerate one stamina, you will have to wait ten minutes for one to two minutes of gameplay. That's a lot of waiting time for so little game time, and for an action game that relies on fun gameplay to keep people interested, that's a death sentence for the game. Sure, there is survival mode, but that requires stamina as well, and the rewards from survival mode are far smaller than from progressing through the stages, which makes survival mode pointless outside of leaderboard bragging rights.