★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The app store is dying... :'(

01-20-2009, 03:51 AM
The app store is dying... :'(

people prefer to buy crappy apps for 1$. apps are sorted by number of sales, this way all developers must drop their prices, and reduce the quality of their game. thanks ifart, thanks isteam, and all those crappy apps, they should have come for free. how apple can let this happen? now with rolando dropping its price because it is out of the top50 i guess the app store will die, and we will not see good games anymore. there is no more game at 10 bucks i guess?
something must change... what do you think guys?
01-20-2009, 03:53 AM
People WANT crappy apps. Supply and demand my friend, supply and demand...

01-20-2009, 03:54 AM
quit worrying. like anything else - you have to find the quality out of the muck.

and with sites like this and instant info, we can be a much more educated buyer with a little effort.

Gravity is my game :: Top Slingshot Player and working to get my #1 spot in Orbital back...
01-20-2009, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM imagery View Post
quit worrying. like anything else - you have to find the quality out of the muck.

and with sites like this and instant info, we can be a much more educated buyer with a little effort.
maybe apple shoud sort apps by quality, not by sales, otherwise how will you find quality games? just a few people read forums and dedicated web site.
01-20-2009, 04:05 AM
Gloom and doom so soon?

The app store is far from dying. Rolando lowered it's price after it enjoy a long stand near the top. And it dropped its price to 5.99 so I'm sure the devs are still getting profit.

Sim City
I Love Katamari
Hero of Sparta
Pay Back(if it ever finally comes out)
NFS

There will always be far more dime a dozen .99 apps.
01-20-2009, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by armen View Post
maybe apple shoud sort apps by quality, not by sales, otherwise how will you find quality games? just a few people read forums and dedicated web site.
i can only worry about what i have control over (me) and i'm in good hands.

Gravity is my game :: Top Slingshot Player and working to get my #1 spot in Orbital back...
01-20-2009, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by armen View Post
You mean rated by review stars? Might be difficult if someone says app won't start because they didn't reboot their iPhone, and gives it only 1 star. What then? It will be forever doomed from the quality list. If this was accompanied by other filters like "minimum x number of reviews" it might be more useful.

As for Armen's original post, Apple has to maintain as neutral a position as possible, otherwise it's accused of bias (already experienced with some apps.) They will get even more flak for forcing set pricing, or regulating apps.
I too got vexed at one game that had a screenshot of torturing children who hold terrorist info, but held my breath and let it go. You can't have full censorship on all kinds of media. Consumer choice (however tasteless it can be) is what makes up our society. Imagine how boring life would be if everyone was fed the same games only.....
01-20-2009, 04:26 AM
Improve ranking system?

Apple should rank apps by revenue - Price x sales
With the current ranking system, the cheaper apps have an advantage in competing against more expensive apps for volume. Ranking by revenue would solve this.
01-20-2009, 04:38 AM
One important thing in your post is: "people prefer to buy crappy apps for 1$"

Yes. People are part of the problem. I don't have a problem paying the full price (still too little) for Sim City or Rolando, but most people do, because they are afraid to buy a game which gives many hours of fun for the same price they pay for cinema or Burger King. Just plain stupid.

"developers must drop their prices" They MUST? No, of course not. They should charge what they think the app is worth. The lists are broken *because* the devs charge too little.

I must say, they I'm a bit amused how many think that the AppStore is the cause of all evil. Take a look at other gaming platforms, like the DS or PSP and how it worked for the last years: Every month plenty of games come out, they go to magazines (online or offline) for review where you read about them, you have marketing campaigns and THEN the people GO INTO STORES to buy the games. The people don't go into stores to see what to buy. And, in the internet times, we have online mags, blogs, youtube and podcasts to promote stuff, most of the time for free! So promotion just eats your time, not your money.

Devs should start to see the AppStore as a store, not more, and not as a free promotion thing. And customers should start looking somewhere to find what's worth, be it 0,99 or 9,99.

Of course Apple could add some more Top lists which divide between free, cheap, mid-priced and premium priced games, like I said it before, but that's only a minor solution.

Devs have to take a look on how marketing works on other platforms. We already have a printed iPhone magazine in Germany, besides several iPod/iLife magazines. Other mags like the c't from the German heise verlag even produced a special magazine for gaming consoles and the iPod touch was one of the presented gaming platforms - with featured games. And online we have sites like iphoneblog.de, mactechnews.de, gamegea.com or my own new site, which will launch in a few weeks (http://www.taptoplay.de ). So if you have a great game, talk to them, promote your game. Don't sit and wait for the customers to come. They won't.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
01-20-2009, 04:47 AM
Send a message via MSN to synagence
The appstore is still very much in its infancy.... its only been live for a little over 6 months and look at the numbers...

The problem right now is that there is this race to the bottom ... but the novelty of the fart apps will diminish ... also there can only be so many fart apps ... but look at games like galcon, dropship, space ninja and the upcoming blue attack! .. these are original, innovative games .... things will settle and it will find its level.... just don't write it off quite so quickly