★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

question about developing iPhone & iPod touch apps

03-22-2011, 04:46 AM
question about developing iPhone & iPod touch apps

hey guy, first off great site. I stumbled upon it while searching for something else which brings up my question: I saw on facebook an ad for developing ipod/iphone apps with no programming skills required. this is something i have been trying to get into and learn about for over a month now. I have been searching the internet for a review of someone who bought this but have come up empty so far. its called devsecrets. this is the link. www.devsecrets.com
so who has tried this? or who is willing to try it?
somebody has got to have information on this, I dont have the money to waste if it is worthless.
also-
ive been bidding on macs on ebay but havent got one in my price range yet and am looking to buy a cheap mac if anyone has ideas on that. Thanks - matt
03-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk824 View Post
hey guy, first off great site. I stumbled upon it while searching for something else which brings up my question: I saw on facebook an ad for developing ipod/iphone apps with no programming skills required. this is something i have been trying to get into and learn about for over a month now. I have been searching the internet for a review of someone who bought this but have come up empty so far. its called devsecrets. this is the link. www.devsecrets.com
so who has tried this? or who is willing to try it?
somebody has got to have information on this, I dont have the money to waste if it is worthless.
also-
ive been bidding on macs on ebay but havent got one in my price range yet and am looking to buy a cheap mac if anyone has ideas on that. Thanks - matt
Yeah, I checked it out, it was pretty long. I am involved with developing games, although I don't do it all. I design it, name it, do all the writing for it, and other things, and someone else does the animation part. However, the one thing that he said that I know to be true through my own experience, is that no matter how good your game is and how well it's done, the most important thing is marketing it after and getting lots of traffic and interest to spur sales for it! It's a terrible drag to have a kick-ass game out there only to watch it fail because of that! Wonder if it's really informative myself. Has anyone gotten this or is it a waste?

03-22-2011, 05:51 PM
This topic almost smells of advertisement... but, whatever...

That website doesn't look too reliable to me... if it was it wouldn't be so vague about what it involves. The best way to develop a game with no programming experience is probably by using GameSalad.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
03-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
This topic almost smells of advertisement... but, whatever...

That website doesn't look too reliable to me... if it was it wouldn't be so vague about what it involves. The best way to develop a game with no programming experience is probably by using GameSalad.
lol not an ad i promise. I was thinking the same thing, Because it doesnt really say what it involves im kind of sketchy about trying it and wont until I talk to some that has. It looks promising but so do most of the scams out there.
03-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk824 View Post
lol not an ad i promise. I was thinking the same thing, Because it doesnt really say what it involves im kind of sketchy about trying it and wont until I talk to some that has. It looks promising but so do most of the scams out there.
Alright, fair enough

Check out GameSalad if you haven't already, it's pretty popular for iPhone devs and really easy to get into with a couple of tutorials. Anyone could release a game with a little dedication, no programming skills needed at all.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
03-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
Alright, fair enough

Check out GameSalad if you haven't already, it's pretty popular for iPhone devs and really easy to get into with a couple of tutorials. Anyone could release a game with a little dedication, no programming skills needed at all.
Im checking it out now, thanks. I appreciate all the suggestions.
03-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrand1 View Post
Yeah, I checked it out, it was pretty long. I am involved with developing games, although I don't do it all. I design it, name it, do all the writing for it, and other things, and someone else does the animation part. However, the one thing that he said that I know to be true through my own experience, is that no matter how good your game is and how well it's done, the most important thing is marketing it after and getting lots of traffic and interest to spur sales for it! It's a terrible drag to have a kick-ass game out there only to watch it fail because of that! Wonder if it's really informative myself. Has anyone gotten this or is it a waste?
I think if you have a great game , and a bit of luck you really don't need marketing! Just look at Tiny Wings!In any case marketing is not the most important thing!
03-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeQuack View Post
I think if you have a great game , and a, enormous amount of luck you really don't need marketing! Just look at Tiny Wings!In any case marketing is not the most important thing!
Unfortunately 1 out of 10,000 devs are that lucky nowadays. I'm planning on not being one of those and marketing my app anyway.

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!
03-23-2011, 11:00 AM
man that site has a typical scam formatting... I didn't listen to or read though.
I just don't believe there's any magic in game development.
Everything needs to be earned with great effort.
03-23-2011, 03:23 PM
about tiny wings getting popular simply on its merits - there was a fine article (not sure where, or I'd link it) that explained how it's a misconception that tiny wings didn't market. it did - on forums. Tiny wings built a strong forum following prior to release and from there on out - well, it's a great game, so it caught like fire

How thick is the line between playing games and playing life?
I learned everything I need to know about surviving 2012 from Fallout 1 and 2

http://superfunapps.wordpress.com/ !!