New World Colony (universal) - $1.99 -> Free

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by easmussen82, Nov 11, 2011.

1. easmussen82

easmussen82 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2011
    independent iOS developer
    Due to the date being 11/11/11 I thought I'd do something crazy, so I'm putting my app on sale for free to see what kind of response I can get. If enough people download it I might keep it at this price over the weekend.

It's a born-digital strategy board game with turn-based online multiplayer. There's already a fairly strong TA community around the game:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=71843

And here's the download link. Hope you enjoy it, and make sure to tell your friends if you do!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/new-world-colony/id395137626?mt=8

[​IMG]

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    FANTASTIC game! I picked it up when it went on sale last month for the 4.1 update.

Highly recommended

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Whoooa...was interested in picking this up but looks like with it's latest update it now has an iOS 5.0 requirement. Think that's the first game I've seen requiring 5.0.

Ashame, would have liked to have given it a try.

4. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Much like siegecraft, I think iOS 5.0 is required for asynchronous online multiplayer games.

5. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Yeah, but you can still play siegecraft on iOS 4.

6. Rokrdude

Rokrdude Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    Get it
    Highly recommended for board game fans

7. easmussen82

Jan 2, 2011
    #7 easmussen82, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
    Just a final note that the sale is ending tonight, so grab it if you're interested.

Sorry for the iOS 4 folks - I'm a solo dev and maintaining two separate code bases (new and legacy) would just not be feasible given my time and financial resources. But if you're running iOS 4, aren't you able to upgrade to iOS 5 for free? Is there anything in particular holding you back from upgrading?

By the way, the sale has been tremendously successful - NWC hit the top 20 board games in tons of different countries and generated 10k downloads in two days - by far my biggest download haul to date. Of course, I didn't make any money off of these, but I'm hoping it'll generate some momentum for when the app goes back to paid. Anyways, thanks for the support and for spreading the word!

8. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Yes, the massive pita that it was to upgrade my iPhone 4. I have little desire to spend an entire weekend+ straightening out my 64gb iPad 2 after the "upgrade process" gets through with it. It was not exactly pain free on my iPhone 32gb (took me a week to get things somewhat back to normal, and even then I lost data).

Btw, I bought your app a while back, and still have the iOS 4 compatible version on my iPad. What changed besides multiplayer?

9. easmussen82

Jan 2, 2011
    Hmm, I understand your hesitation now. I've lost valuable game data during an upgrade and it was a big bummer. I know of another dev that lost pictures of their kid's first birthday during an upgrade.

But if you do manually sync first it should be ok...and future iOS updates will be 'over the air' and should be much easier to perform.

There's a fair amount of new stuff besides the transition to being a universal app and the turn-based matches. I increased the starting resources so that games didn't start so slow (especially important for online turn-based matches). This should also make it more rare that a player is totally shut down from the very start, because fields and orchards are no longer as critical at the very beginning. There's still some balance issues related to the start of the game though that I still need to work out.

There's now an 'Action Point' system that determines how many actions you can take in one turn. You earn more action points as you build more town and forts.

Finally, you now need a Fort to invade. This should prevent the problem where one player builds a town quickly and them immediately starts invading another player before they have a chance to even get started.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    If you have an iPod Touch 2G, the highest you can upgrade to is 4.2.1.

So, yes, unfortunately, even if you're running iOS4 you can't upgrade to iOS 5.0 on older devices.

11. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Did the manual sync first. It still deleted half my apps, blew away my folder structure, erased my images and while my songs supposedly made it through they wouldn't play so I had to reinstall them all. To top it off, it killed some of my favorite apps (they no longer function under ios5) and made my battery life worse. I've been in IT for 25 years, and this was the worst migration I've ever seen let alone had. And the benefits, to me, were marginal.

I'm not even updating my iPhone to 5.0.1 as some users are reporting an even worse decrease in battery life as opposed to 5.

12. easmussen82

Jan 2, 2011
    #12 easmussen82, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
    True, those older devices are locked out. But the other factor in my decision is that these older devices wouldn't be able to run NWC very well (it uses OpenGL, and there's lots of drawing and layering) and I'd probably get punished with bad reviews in the store. Players can be pretty fickle like that.

13. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Free again for the first time since November 2011. :)

14. easmussen82

Jan 2, 2011
    Yes! Thought I'd see what the revenue looks like now that there's an in-app-purchase map editor. If I get a lot of free downloads, the IAP might generate sufficient revenue. We'll see.

Also, the app now supports iOS 4.3, so those older posts on this thread about backwards compatibility are now obsolete.

15. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Can't wait to try it...

16. Rafnel

Rafnel Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Going to give it a go and see how I like it.

17. easmussen82

Jan 2, 2011
    Let me know what you think. I'm always looking for feedback.

18. Rafnel

Rafnel Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Well I've played a couple games against the AI. I can definitely say that the game has a lot of options to customize the way you play. There is a lot of strategy, and while I'm on the topic of strategy, I'm terrible at strategy games so I lost each match that I did against the AI hehe. (I was also playing on easy) I think if I play some more I could definitely get better at it. Most definitely worth $2 and even better free. I can definitely see myself using pass&play to play with friends if I can teach them how to play. Don't think I'll be going online anytime soon cause I was get stomped. Good game :)

19. easmussen82

Jan 2, 2011
    Update on the sale: the game just hit the top 100 free games overall in the app store. It's beating Angry Birds Lite and Cut the Rope lite. My revenue rank has decreased (since it's a free app), but at least a lot of people will be aware of the game now.

20. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Well, I've been playing strategy games my whole life, and though I'm sure I could mold my approach to beat the AI, this game still has serious balance issues. Read through like 30 pages of tutorial, and still they give you far too little to run with in terms of forming a solid strategy. Watching the AI helps, but I don't have the patience. There are far too many better games to spend my time on