Good snes style rpgs?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by rumbl3, Dec 29, 2012.

1. rumbl3

rumbl3 Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    I loved snes jrpgs back in the day. Like FF, chrono trigger etc. I'm looking for games like those.

New to phone mobile games and there is just so much out there.

Any suggestions?

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Kemco games get them I think most are on sale for 99 cents they usually range from 6.99 to 8.99

3. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Second on the Kemco games! Also, check out Square-Enix's lineup - including Final Fantasy Dimensions.

4. Darkus

Darkus Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Oh. Hi.
    Dragon Fantasy
    Final Fantasy 1
    Final Fantasy 2
    Final Fantasy Dimensions
    Pretty much anything by Kemco (I personally feel these games lack coherent dialogue and stories, and are really just milled out for cash.)
    Chrono Trigger
    Secret of Mana
    Adventure Bar Story

...I'm sure I could go on.

5. thezman

thezman Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Penny arcades on the rain-slick precipe of darkness 3.

6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    You're kidding right? I hold Kemco games very close to my heart. They're in league with old-school FF titles, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, ect...

They've got some of the best translation found in the AppStore, wonderful, well thought-out and written (albeit sometimes cliche) stories, some of the deepest mechanics (Dark Gate is phenomenal!) found in the AppStore.... I can go on and on.

Really, reading that makes me think you quickly tapped through dialogue without reading it, couldn't figure out what was going on, didn't take the time to figure out the equip/spell/job system, and rage deleted because of constant deaths/lack of will to take the time to figure anything out.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Kemco games... Every single one of them.
    Saturday Morning RPG
    Cthulhu Saves the World
    Penny Arcade RPG
    Square Enix ports, along with the Chaos Rings titles
    Dragon fantasy

8. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
  9. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Forgot about Dragon Fantasy, even though I own it! HA! Also... more NES than SNES, but I really like Guardian Saga.

Also also, and this is a Genesis rpg, but Phantasy Star 2.

10. rumbl3

rumbl3 Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    #10 rumbl3, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    Yeah I'll take a look at the Kemco games. FF series I've basicly played all of them. Looking for games I have not played.

I was just curious if any games have came out that I never heard of from new companies.

I'm currently playing FF Dimensions it's alright not bad but not great so far. Thing that really gets me about it is looks like it cost a fortune to buy into the whole game so I'll be waiting for a sale before I finish off that game.

The only Square game I'm thinking about picking up is Chrono Trigger cause I heard it has a new dungeon or something? Not sure if that's correct last time i played it was on super nintendo a million and 1 times lol.

UPDATE: I see they have Lunar Silver Star Story on the store. Probably my favorite rpg of all time, I remember preordering it at the game store rental store when i was a kid for sega cd lol. One of the few I'll rebuy next to chrono trigger. Man can't wait to play that hopefully they release lunar 2 also.

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #11 syntheticvoid, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    You should also check out Lunar Silver Star Story if you haven't played it previously in another platform....

And if you're even remotely interested in Action RPGs, CrimsonHeart, Osiris Legends, Squids (1&2) and Bastion are must haves.

As far as Kemco goes... If you're looking for deeper gameplay, you might want to check out Dark Gate or Fantasy Chronicle first. They're both on sale right now for $0.99 each. If you're more interested in pretty straight forward gameplay... Grinsia, Eve of the Genesis and Alphadia are great. Nice stories, and pretty straightforward, but still have enough depth in the equip/skill department to keep them interesting. Grinsia and Alphadia 2 are both on sale right now too. I should also say that the original Alphadia is kind of grindy, but if you're willing to put the time into it, its a wonderful game. Right now I'm playing through it a second time. Symphony of Eternity is kind of in between the straightforward and depthy mechanics... If I'm remembering correctly. And it's also on sale ATM as well. Actually, the only Kemco games that aren't on sale right now are the original Alphadia and Eve of the Genesis.

Anywho... Good luck!

12. rumbl3

rumbl3 Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    I just picked up symphony of eternity from kemco. Was a few 99 cent games on sale by them so i just randomly grabbed one lol.

So far it's good been playing it for around 2 hours now. Some hard boss battles if you dont stock up on potions etc.

Story so far is ok, nothing top notch but not bad at all.

I just been tired of online gaming lately (which is what i do 99% of the time). So i've been on a 2d mmo kick now. Need a break from all the smack talk etc.

13. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Orisis legends has a save bug I wouldn't recommend that one till its fixed.

14. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Strange... I haven't come across any sort of save bug... Guess I should go back and re-read the thread... I haven't gone through it since back when it was released. =o/

15. rumbl3

rumbl3 Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    I got bastion on pc from indie humble bundle. But iw anted to get it for my iphone but i seen on the page it's only for iphone4 S and up. So out of luck on that one.

Shame it's a good game would love to have a mobile verison.

Lunar i plan on getting I had preordered it back on sega cd from a game rental place down the street from me as a kid. LOL probably one of the few people who actually preordered games back then.