Have you seen Christmas sales?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by VirtualPool, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Please, someone else verify that their sales for Dec 25th increased by 4 TIMES. I am reluctant to get excited as I fear ITunesConnect has messed up.

2. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    HOLY CRAP! :eek:

I saw the same thing. 3x-4x across all titles! Most of the increase came from US + Canadian sales. Rest of the world was higher, but not significantly.

Very Merry Christmas :)

3. Yep, exact same thing here. US sales went crazy, everthing else was maybe 2 or 3 times more.

Thanks for the confirmation.... going out to party now. :)

4. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Congrats guys, great to see you rewarded for your continued efforts. :)
    I hope that the post-Christmas sales will also be good for you, because of the gift cards people got.

5. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    good luck with the sales devs!

6. Solitaire City

Solitaire City Active Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Hi-Tech Ski Bum
    South Lake Tahoe
    #6 Solitaire City, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
    Sales of my Solitaire City game increased by nearly 4 times on Christmas Day and Boxing Day and doubled on the days leading up to Christmas, so you'll be pleased to hear your sales data isn't a mistake !

Time to sing that horrible cheesy song .....

"Well I wish it could be Christmas .... every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play-eeeay
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas every day-aaay
    So let the bells .... ring out ... for Christmas !!!!!!!"

Apart from the expected increase in US sales, I saw huge sales increases in the UK and France and pretty decent pops in Germany and Italy. I found it interesting that sales from Japan, which have been fairly decent for me since I had my App's description translated into Japanese were fairly pathetic this festive season. I guess the Japanese don't celebrate Christmas ?

7. Morti

Morti Well-Known Member

#7 Morti, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
    Hi,

noticed here too a heavy x3/x4 bump during the christmas days. My free game Bubble Bang Lite went up from 5.000 downloads per day up to 20.000. The full version of Bubble Bang went up by x3.5

[​IMG]

Regards
    Martin
    ---
    www.Decane.net

8. Manta Research

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Arn,

I saw you posted an article on Macrumors correlating the christmas day app sales to the increase in iPod Touches over the holidays. There's no question that some of the bump was from new owners, but I believe the real reason for the christmas day increases in the western countries was simply that people were sitting around at home and had more time to browse. This is the same as the "weekend effect" where most developers see a nice 20-30% increase, but multiplied by 10x over Christmas :)

Having said that, I really hope to heck that I'm wrong and you're right but I don't think the sales data over the next few days will reflect that.

9. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    obviously, it's hard to say.... but since the browser market share is a percentage, you are then saying that people who stayed at home on Christmas for some reason browsed disproportionately more on their iPod Touches but than others did on their home computer or iPhone.

it'll be interesting to see how the sales numbers trail out in the next few days/weeks.

arn

10. Manta Research

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I think there's no question that there were a lot more Touches given on christmas than iPhones. That makes complete sense, and hence the spike in web presence. I'm just saying that unless you have some other data indicating that the increase in app sales were largely attributable to the Touch, the christmas day increase was likely a general increase in sales across all platforms.

Here are numbers for two of our games, with Dec 23rd sales being normalized to 1.0. I'm really hoping you're right and that we see a general increase in sales going forward.

App1:
    Dec 24 1.05
    Dec 25 2.28
    Dec 26 1.79
    Dec 27 1.44
    Dec 28 1.43

App2:
    Dec 24 1.43
    Dec 25 3.40
    Dec 26 2.06
    Dec 27 2.22
    Dec 28 1.90

Dec 29's numbers will be telling since 27/28 was a weekend as well, and many people are back at work this week.

11. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I just wanted to say that is pretty darn amazing. :eek:

I bet lots of devs are really happy about the results. ;)

12. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    no significant boost in sales for 1112 here,
    It's always been around 300-350/day WorldWide, with almost half of it from france(the only country where there has been significant exposure).

there have been very few exposure in the US (or only bad publicity like IGN) so I don't think we'll make it abroad before episode 2 and our new project

anyway glad to see there are more and more potential customers coming to the market !

13. byteclub

byteclub Member

Dec 30, 2008
    co-founder of ByteClub.com
    NYC
    stats for Scramboni

Download rate for the week of 12/22-12/28 is 2.6 times higher than for the week of 12/1-12/7.

And it's a free app, so yeah, nice bump in traffic.

14. blikstad

blikstad Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Freelance artist and game developer.
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Yep, looks pretty similar here. Our sales were already elevated somewhat on the 23rd due to an update so I included the numbers normalized against what we see as a "normal day" too.

Code:
    Date:		Normalized to Dec 23		Normalized to "a regular day"		
    Dec 24 		1.21				1.5
    Dec 25 		2.81				3.49
    Dec 26 		1.93				2.39
    Dec 27 		1.46				1.81
    Dec 28 		1.24				1.54
    Dec 29 		1.06				1.32

At least on our end it seem like it's falling back towards normalcy. But as said; will be interesting to see what happens within the next two weeks or so. We need a bit more time to get any stats about if things have risen overall or not.