Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-03-2014, 11:25 PM

So, I tofft'd, being a softie for boardgames. What I found:

Not UNO. The gameplay is much more like Ticket To Ride--the numbers in the middle are the sets you need to collect to score. But to actually score, the sets you make need to match in UNO/Crazy8 style, by number or color, so it's more risky to go for more points. To help you along there are exchange tokens which give you a trump suit when matching. You can switch your trump suit any time on your turn, swapping with another player, but one of your two actions are gone. Also one player every round gets a one action bonus that passes to the right after execution. Also, random card bonuses. Mechanically sound boardgame.

The implementation is clean but minimal. Very little animation. Tap what you want to manipulate on your turn, and done. Helps with quick play but the graphical fluff missing seems a bit jarring. I can't speak on the power of the AI, but it exists and seems capable. Local and GC multiplayer also available but that's not my cup of tea so no impressions there.

Hope that helps you.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:28 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Some interesting bits that I'm sure could be useful for strategery but I still am not sure how to exploit:

Sorting Yard: When you purchase a railcar it is immediately added to the back of the train IF it matches (size or color) your last added railcar. Even if, for some sneaky reason you bought a railcar you DID NOT want to add to your train, if the new railcar matches your current back car it MUST be added. Here's where stuff gets interesting, IMHO, if this new railcar isn't a match, it goes into the sorting yard. The sorting yard is a holding area you can add a potentially infinite number of railcars to without any sort of penalty. If later a railcar in your sorting yard can be added to the end of your train you can add it without using up an action, in fact, you can add any number of railcars from your sorting yard, as long as they legally match, in a single turn at no action cost!

No Hand Limit: There is NO maximum hand size and I don't believe there is any danger of having some 20 card hand count against you beyond the fact that it would signify you spent several turns drawing without doing anything.

Bonus Cards: While I love the expansion that adds even more new Bonus Action Cards (cool 1 time actions that you can do without spending an action), if you enable this optional IAP expansion, it can be that much harder to draw that specific cargo you might need.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:33 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
more new Bonus Action Cards
hopefully they are new and not just more of the same, hence my question. these are the base game cards:
-Draw 2 Cargo Cards
-Pay 1 Less
-Take 1 discarded
-Plus 1 action
-Exchange 1:1

can anyone list and briefly describe the new ones? i've played 2 games with the expansion enabled and don't believe i've seen any but these.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:34 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack the Knife View Post
hopefully they are new and not just more of the same, hence my question. these are the base game cards:
-Draw 2 Cargo Cards
-Pay 1 Less
-Take 1 discarded
-Plus 1 action
-Exchange 1:1

can anyone list and briefly describe the new ones? i've played 2 games with the expansion enabled and don't believe i've seen any but these.
They are 5 new ones, and sorry I can't list them off the top of my head, but do have a related question myself.

Has anybody else, with the extra bonus cards enabled, seen what the "Swap Exchange Token" bonus card does? While it would seem self explanatory, every time I've used it I still have to pay an action to swap an exchange token when done immediately afterwards.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:41 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

well, you listed one at least. i saw your post at BGG where the developer had responded earlier (i asked some stuff too). put your question about the card in your iTunes review as i'm sure they'll read it there. ask for an update to the rulebook to include an explanation of the expansion cards.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:42 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack the Knife View Post
well, you listed one at least. i saw your post at BGG where the developer had responded earlier (i asked some stuff too). put your question about the card in your iTunes review as i'm sure they'll read it there. ask for an update to the rulebook to include an explanation of the expansion cards.
Good call on the rule book! I just put up a 4 star review with that suggestion.

Last edited by LordGek; 09-06-2014 at 06:51 PM..
Old 09-06-2014, 07:10 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Update - Tim, the new card details are in the rule book (doh!). I missed it because I read the in-app rule book was just a scanned in PDF from the physical game. Soooo, I just downloaded it so I could read it on my bigger PC screen and didn't even look at the in-app rules. Better edit your iTunes review.

mine was 4 stars too. no tutorial, iffy rulebook. also, when the AI wins it instantly switches to the victory screen and i don't know what the hell just happened. i'd like an option to go back and review that last screen. also, to colorize the caboose a little more while it sits in your Sorting Yard so you can see it a little better, now it's almost black.

Last edited by Mack the Knife; 09-06-2014 at 10:05 PM..
Old 09-09-2014, 12:27 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Yardmaster: Rule the Rails! was nominated for the Touch Arcade forumsí Game of the Week poll. Voting will occur over the next three days. Come vote for your favorite recent releases:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=241647

Developers may not vote for their own games; only pre-existing Touch Arcade members may participate (users cannot join just to vote).