Universal Twined (by Peter Doyle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 13, 2014.

1. trasheater

trasheater Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Web Developer
    Edinburgh, Uk
    Ok, added to the list of improvements for the next release.

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I would love it, there's a few puzzles have this, I think hundreds, I can't remembers certain, unlocks a few ahead and it allows you to advance and stay engaged with the game, so many times I get stuck and then kind of end up forgetting about the game as something else comes along.

3. trasheater

trasheater Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Web Developer
    Edinburgh, Uk
    Some Promo codes

Here are two promo codes to those wanting to try the game.

NYTMWMNPM6NJ
    X97A3LTR6E63

Just let me know what you think :D

4. Igoo

Igoo Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Grabbed NYTMWMNPM6NJ. Thanks!

5. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Finally got past level 12. It's a tricky one, I'm up to 24 and love the new elements but I was ages looping around the blue peg thinking I had to loop twice to pass it until I realised that you have to have the string through it. The further I get into this game the more I love it.

6. trasheater

trasheater Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Web Developer
    Edinburgh, Uk
    Yeah I really didn't want to hold peoples hands and show them how everything works. I love figuring things out myself and also felt that people have a closer connection with something that they figure out for themselves.

7. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I really like this game. You did a great job. I think it would be really cool if you had a difficulty selection screen that would move the dots closer & closer as you went from easy to hard. So for instance. I would learn on easy. The dots could be 2 inches apart. Then the same level on medium 1 inch apart then Hard 1/2 inch and on & on. Cool way for you to "add" levels without having to do too much. Also how about if you hit a say blue dot your "tail" is shortened to help you but there may be a penalty on timing if you go for it. Ie a red dot gets even closer or may catch you. I'm only making suggestions because i really like this game not because it needs it. Very solid game. Ive got a few other ideas to keep this game on top of charts. You can really have fun with your updates so i hope you do some.

8. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Up to level 28, spent some time stuck on 24 so I did a video if anyone needs it in future, trying to do one for level 12 but not been able to beat it again. I'm gonna do one for each level I get stuck on.

9. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Could I ask for alittle tip for level 28. It's confusing me as I'm doing everything I think I should but I can't pass the level. Am I right that you have to loop around the black pegs before the timer runs out? I have done this but what happens is is the first peg I've looped continues to count down then the second also runs out of time pushing the grey bar back. I've tried doing the left first and vica versa but still don't pass. It can't be that you have to have both looped at the same time as the string doesn't seem anywhere near long enough. I've double checked and there's def still time left on the first peg when I loop the second. I'm probably missing something obvious.

10. trasheater

trasheater Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Web Developer
    Edinburgh, Uk
    @cloudpuff The idea for level 28 is to do the right one first. Go between the red guys on the right one. Then do the left one by looping both the red guys and the the dark guy.

I have seen so many people getting stuck on that level :D

@mzinn great ideas! I have added some of them to the research/maybe list for future updated. I really like the idea of different difficulty sections.

11. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    First off, I want to thank Cloudpuff for sending a code my way. I really appreciate your generosity.

Secondly, the gameplay is elegant in its simplicity. Stripped of any visual noise, players are left with all key gaming elements on-screen and in-play for each level. I'm only on level 15 (I got stuck for a while on 12, mind you), and this is a unique puzzler that requires some creative thinking, spot-on timing and intricate movement. I like how the dev chose to display one's progression by graying out a percentage of the screen for each accomplished objective. For example, if there are three dots that need to be "twined", after the first one is completed, a third of the screen is grayed out...after a second one is completed, two-thirds of the screen is grayed out, etc.

Don't let the bare-boned simplicity of the visuals fool you. There is some well-thought out game design that is both challenging and satisfying.

12. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Cracked it just after I posted, I'm now on 31. I'm in the middle of a big spring clean and like how I can just dip into the game on my cig breaks.
    I have another couple suggestions, a restart button, sometimes it's better to start from the original start position after messing up rather than untangling the string if that makes sense.
    Also I'd like it if possible the speed if the levels restarting after a failure could be reduced, just a little, some of these puzzles take several attempts and I'm eager to get back it #

13. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    So far everyone I know who has played has got stuck at 12, it must have took me over 30 attempts.

14. trasheater

trasheater Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Web Developer
    Edinburgh, Uk
    I think I made level 12 a little too hard. I might just slow the red guy a little in the next release.

Also I'm adding a new mode to the next release and secret items in the levels :D

15. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Oh wow this is really really cool (yes, I too thought Blek clone). I'd have this by now if I had an iPad, this seems extremely cool, and the way the string behaves definitely makes some interesting game play from the looks of it

16. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I'm at level 46 now and it's a toughy. Still enjoying it though.

17. trasheater

trasheater Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Web Developer
    Edinburgh, Uk
    I made a short trailer. I hope it explains the gameplay well enough :D

18. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I don't get any of the bad reviews. This is a good game plain and simple. This game deserves a 4.5 but since it's not integrated that way, I will give it a 5. Heck, my dad even enjoyed it and figured it out. And that's like teaching monkey how to file taxes.

19. Gamer1st

Gamer1st Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    None. But I dream about being able to work again.
    USA
    Picked it up.
    It looks almost as simple as me!
    I've been on a minimalist kick since the late 70s.
    Or is it considered a lifestyle after that much time?

20. trasheater

trasheater Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Web Developer
    Edinburgh, Uk
    Twined is free for the next few days for all those that wanted to play but don't have the cash.