App Names

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Capedy_Toni, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Capedy_Toni

Capedy_Toni Active Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Will an app be approved in the App Store if an other app already exists with exactly the same name?

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    if you could registered in in itc in the first place your probably good to go..

but i would think twice about naming your product to closely to a competitors name..

"Angry Birdz" will probably net you alot of trouble

3. Capedy_Toni

Mar 8, 2012
    Actually the situation is a little different, I am working on a big project and I am having the trademark pending for my name. Now I noticed that there is an app with exactly my company name, my domain name and with my trademarks name.

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    what a coincident.. your company name and your game name.. well..

time to write apple i guess..

may i ask which game we are talking about?

5. Rainier

Rainier Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Whoever has that app out there first may have the claim to the trademark under the First Use doctrine:

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/metaschool/fisher/domain/tm.htm#4

Might be a good idea to get some legal advice on this.

6. MarcJay

MarcJay Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    California
    #6 MarcJay, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    A problem may be that even if you're eventually granted trademark protection from the PTO, you would still need an attorney to enforce that trademark or at the very least hire an attorney to serve the delinquent party with a demand letter, which means more $$$. Curiously, why would you trademark a name before acquiring the domain name? Also, did you do a google search before filing a trademark application? Have you also been using this name in the market or just file an application? Filing a trademark application in and of itself is not really the same as having trademark protection. Check USPTO online to see if the name you want or even a similar name is being used already if not done so. First use holds a lot of merit, that's why I'm curious where you are in the process vs the other party who clearly has use in a wordwide market on his side.

7. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

#7 Syndicated Puzzles, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    Tony

Something doesn't add up in your story. The only thing I could think of is you filed your own Trademark online without using an attorney. You are entering a world of hurt before you even have your app go live. Do you own the .com for the app name? For me everything is pointing towards finding a new name.

The other option is to simply publish the app using the intended name and see what happens. If you need an awesome Attorney drop me a line.

8. Capedy_Toni

Mar 8, 2012
    I do own the domain name and yes we did research on the name, the trademark office does check that there is no conflicting brand name out there and we got the trademark granted for apps, software, web etc.

9. Capedy_Toni

Mar 8, 2012
    I did use a lawyer, I own the domain name, I have the trademark and I own a LLC with the same name...

10. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    But you said in your first post that there is a conflicting brand name 'out there' - there's an app with the same name in the App Store?

11. MarcJay

MarcJay Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    California
    I guess that was my confusion as well, HLW. If you have the trademark registered and not just pending, there may be a simple procedure with apple (showing them an approved trademark from the USPTO). If you need to, it sounds like you would have a viable trademark enforcement suit. At the very least, you could use the attorney yo worked with to file a demand letter, basically demanding the offending party to cease and desist. See if that scares them off before filing a complaint, which is more costly.