Why isn't Multitasking taking priority with most apps?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MasterChief3624, Jul 20, 2010.

1. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I was expecting most apps to be getting updates that allow Mutitasking (or more appropriately, 'fast app-switching'), but a billion updates in, I think there is honestly only 10% or something (from my app library, at least) that allow it.

I see updates for "iOS4 Compatibility", but that never means support for multitasking. Especially with Gameloft games, I was expecting them to update for multitasking or something (since checkpoints in their games are not always the nicest), but to no avail.

Has anyone else been rather disappointed by the lack of Multitasking implementation?

2. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Because supporting a miniscule percentage of your app base should never take priority, a lot of games and apps have so many other things that are more important to everyone who doesn't have a 4G(99%?), content updates and bug fixes should always take priority. Retina support and multitasking will probably be seen implemented in lot's of newer games, and only a few very popular older games, until the 4G has a sizeable userbase. if 1 in 1000 of your customers or potential customers(much lower) has a 4G, what is the point in putting all that effort in? Think of it that way.

3. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Yes I understand that, but so far it seems the iPhone 4's retina display is seeing more implementation in updates than multitasking, which I think is rather odd.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Why would most (especially large) games need to support multitasking? Do you really want other apps running in the background while you are playing a game?

It's not like you're going to be switching quickly back and forth from N.O.V.A. to check your shopping lists...

Now if you're talking about small apps like sudoku or something, I can see your point, but when you're talking Gameloft games...

5. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    iv seen the same thing.. do not care about big apps.. but this multi tasking is a fail to me.. cause i can almost bet good money most of the apps on my ipod will never get multi tasking.. im using a ipod touch gen 2.. so dose not really matter to me at this point.. but come sept when i get a gen 4.. it may.. but i saw this coming. heck so many apps are broken cause of iso4.. ( i would like for them to at least be updated and fixed.. ) and i really doubt some of them will ever be fixed.. maybe dev did not make enough money or what not.. but i see this being a problem as the appstore grows and the years to come..

chris.

6. darkcrayon

darkcrayon Member

Jul 26, 2009
    #6 darkcrayon, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
    The OP is specifically referring to Fast App Switching- I think everyone would want to be able to exit a game at any time, and return to it and have it continue exactly where they left off. This was something technically possible before iOS4, but iOS4 makes it much faster and easier for developers to implement (i think it just needs a recompile, as long as they aren't doing anything else that's iOS4 incompatible in their code).

It's annoying to play something like Prince of Persia and have to sit through the opening sequences and the game loading when i just want to leave it for a moment...

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I understand this, however whatever app you switch to has to have enough resources to run, otherwise Prince of Persia ends up unloading anyway. Unless I'm totally wrong (it happens all the time :eek:) multitasking will only benefit people switching around from smaller apps, like between Calendar, Notepad and Calculator.

8. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Fast App Switching makes things much more complicated actually - it's in no way a simple recompile. A better name for it would be "Sometimes Maybe Fast App Switching". There's no guarantee an app will still be running when you switch back to it, and if that app is a memory hogging game (and most games are) there's a good chance it'll have to load up from scratch more often than not. Worse yet from a developer's perspective, apps don't get notified when they're forced to quit. It's like Schrödinger's cat - apps have to assume they're both running and not running simultaneously - you can't tell what's going on till the user switches back.

When we get devices with 1GB+ of RAM this stuff might start making more sense, but for right now fast app switching ain't all it's cracked up to be, especially for games.

9. Froggyboby

Froggyboby Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Missouri

Well the 3GS supports multitasking as well as the iPod touch 3rd generation So there is a fairly large userbase that can use multitasking

10. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    So far I have abstract war and carcassone which support fast app swithcing and I absolutely love it!!! It's amazing. I dont really mind prince of persia, it loads super fast on my iPhone 4 :) The one I'd like to see support fast-app switching is Battle for Wesnoth. That would be sweet :rolleyes:

And my undestanding is that 3gs also supports fast app switching so it's not like you're targeting a minority of users. In fact, I'd say that by now the first gen and the iPhone 3G, while still in the majority will start diminishing so it'd be nice to see support for the new OS features

11. darkcrayon

darkcrayon Member

Jul 26, 2009
    But - since the iPhone 4 has double the memory of the 3GS, it's unlikely there are many current games that should use all of the memory on the iPhone 4 - if a game is using 150 megs of RAM, well that probably uses most of what a 3GS can handle but the 4 still has a ton of room left over. And of course plenty of games need much less RAM than this (since most games still run even on the 128 meg RAM iOS devices).

12. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Good News, according to the gameloft twitter, their games are being updated to support iOS4. Hopefully this means multi-tasking finally.

13. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    yeah i see a lot of sales for the ipod 4 come sept.. i know ill be updating.. and probably a lot of gen 1 owners too id imagine.. guessing tho.. just hope it has most of the bells and whistles of the iphone.. but that seems to be the norm.

chris.

14. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    NOVA was just updated to support iOS4, multitasking and the fancy new gyro too. Good start in my opinion :)

15. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    i wonder if they fixed the online cheating too. i stopped playing when that started.

chris.

16. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    well lately ive only been buying games that support retina display/anti aliasing/mutlitasking. So it's a big plus for sure

17. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Because I have an iPhone 3G.

18. darkcrayon

darkcrayon Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Well you're the game developer so I'm inclined to believe you :) however in my actual use, at least on the iPhone 4, I'm able to have Predators, NOVA, and Doodle jump paused and fast switch between them with iSub playing music in the background and it all runs fine (and in reality i really dont need 2 "large" games paused to switch between them).

So for me it seems to be a significant improvement over what I had to tolerate (every game's individual loading times, etc) with iOS 3.

19. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    The extra memory definitely makes the iPhone 4 better suited for this sort of thing ;)

My previous post was kinda harsh but I wasn't suggesting game devs shouldn't support fast switching (it's on my todo list as well) - I just wanted to point out that it's not as easy to implement or as clearly defined a feature as some users have been lead to believe.

20. BroonBottle

BroonBottle Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2009
    From my point of view, I really don't care whether games support it or not because even in those that do I'm just not using it.

I like being able to run Spotify or a radio app in the background but that's about it for me when it comes to fast app switching/multi-tasking.

Maybe others do tend to flit from one app to another than I do, but in general I'll finish what I'm doing before composing an email, checking the web or whatever. Perhaps there's some types of games where natural breaks don't come as regularly in others; so maybe some games benefit from it more than others.