iPad Majesty: The Northern Expansion. Grab the game for just 99c!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by HeroCraftGames, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    As a veteran Majesty player (PC) I have agree... In fact even felt that the first (iOS) Majesty seemed to have tweaked the balance from the PC version as well in my opinion

2. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    yeap, after playing some levels i should say the game is too difficult. spawning rates are actually very high and the first port is definitely more balanced and playable.

maybe it is ok on ipad but fonts and some ui elements are just too small on iphone like in the first game too.

3. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    I've tried first two levels, difficulty was rised indeed. But the worst is item mall, which can be used to buy one time powerups.

4. Kotovsky

Aug 22, 2012
    Third level, easy difficulty - I was overwhelmed by swarms of monsters. Definitly undoable without iaps. What a waste.

5. kin

kin Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    Pity, the PC and previous iPad version was fun and well balanced.

6. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    if you mean of course the easiest setting that it's actually playable, in that mission you just need at some point to send all heroes to deal with wizard.

7. Kotovsky

Aug 22, 2012
    #27 Kotovsky, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
    What build order you have used?

I know that I must destroy wiz castle, but all my heroes are forced to defend my base from monster hordes. Also there is magic attacks killing any hero and stuff in one blast.

8. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    well just important is to produce a lot of advanced warriors, and when the wizard starts casting spells just build the statue and set all money as reward. so the base is not important. i dont remember what i built but if the paladins are available than them. because they are really better than other heroes. so it would be like - blacksmith, market. then warrior guilds and corresponding shrine, upgrading castle. then upgrading all stuff in market and blacksmith. and when wizard starts attacking you - just all in. but of course no spending money on other guilds, they are useless. should work on easy. on medium it looks impossible without cheats.

9. HeroCraftGames

HeroCraftGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 2, 2012
  10. Kotovsky

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks for the tip.

Looks like this is the only workable build order as you should build up before day 20 when wizard kill all heroes in one shot.

This talks a lot about game balance. My rating will stay on "1 star" mark until at least "easy dufficulty" became easy, not "hard" as it's now.

11. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    lol and the dev completely ignores player complaints that the game is unplayable in its current state.

guess i'm never buying a product from you ever again.

12. HeroCraftGames

Patreon Indie

Jul 2, 2012
    Hi, TouchArcade readers. Thanks for letting us know about your difficulties playing the game, we do take on board feedback and are working on a slight rebalance in order to make the game easier in Pacifist and Peacemaker modes. It's not a straightforward task though, as I'm sure you can appreciate, to lessen the difficulty curve in one area without throwing out of balance the whole game mechanic. We appreciate your patience and we hope to implement some fixes in the January update, which will also add new missions. Anyone with suggestions on game difficulty or hero balance we'd always love to hear from you at [email protected]. Contacting us there will ensure your voices are heard more quickly and you can always paste your email and our reply into a thread such as this to keep the community informed.
    Regards,
    HeroCraft

13. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    So if i got it right. The original game on pc had different balance, according to posts of other players. You introduced iap and changed the balance, and the changes are quite big. Now you say that it’s hard to rebalance the game. So where is the sense? Why actually you changed the balance compared with the original game? I mean is it really such surprise that people think the game is too difficult on non easy settings.

14. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    ...Because the iOS Majesty games are not direct ports of the PC originals but more reimagined remakes; this is appropriate given the differences in the two systems.

I am glad to see the developer respond and hope the "slight rebalance in order to make the game easier in Pacifist and Peacemaker modes" is enough to make this app enjoyable and realistically challenging. Although it initially sounds too limited and dismissive.

15. HeroCraftGames

Patreon Indie

Jul 2, 2012
    As suggested by undeadcow, this game is not a port of the original PC game, it's developed from scratch by HeroCraft for mobile devices, with new missions, artwork, mechanics and as such a new difficulty curve. As mentioned we're taking on board feedback and working towards finding a balance that works for newcomers and hardcore strategy game fans alike.

16. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    ok, i understood when people compared balance of this game with the original than this is the port and that's all. if not than yeah, that stuff what i was taking is not really fair but not completely. because honestly the balance issues are clear and it's not like you could not see it. i can see the challenge than, because the easy mode is already very easy and medium is too difficult so it can take some tweaking to make things work. and because dev is here something else, why not making build and other buttons bigger on iphone. console text could be much bigger, there is enough space on iphone screen too.

17. Kotovsky

Aug 22, 2012
    #37 Kotovsky, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    I've completed it ontwo markets and elven booth build order. Sadly with other build orders almost There is no chance to win for me.

18. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    The title of this thread should be changed to reflect the fact that the game is not on sale anymore, at least according to its US iTunes page. :(

Regardless, it's not my kind of game, and the comments on the ridiculously unbalanced nature of the game and the immensely daunting difficulty scares me off completely. I am not very proficient at tactical games, let alone ones that are so dependent on the user apparently being a mastermind.

But how do IAPs work in the game? Looking at the "Top In-app Purchases" menu on the iTunes page, it doesn't look like the things you buy can do all that much. What do crystals do, for example?

Without understanding the advantage of the IAPs, I think it's unfair to attack the developer and belittle their ability to balance the game. Having not played it, though, I have no worthy say in the matter.

So how do In-App Purchases for the title work?

19. Kotovsky

Aug 22, 2012
    #39 Kotovsky, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    You can buy gold or one-time boosts that lasts only one mission. For example immortal tax collector ($1), uick build, veteran heroes, double XP for heroes, double HP for buildings. Would this bonuses be permanint, I'd try one or two, but to pay a buck to complete one level is a strange idea.

20. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #40 SkyMuffin, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    Game Impressions

There was an update today that claims "minor fixes", which means the balance is barely better than before, so warriors can last two or three monsters longer but all the other units are still worthless. Guard towers are still a waste of money. It is still impossible to finish the hardest difficulty with the best rating, even with optimum play strategies. For newbies it is very difficult even to beat medium. The balance pigeon-holes the player into only ever playing one specific way to eke out a success, which is counter-intuitive to the original game's mechanics. Again, I am an expert level player who has beaten all of the levels on the PC version-- even the hardest final mission. So I know what i'm talking about.

It's incredibly insulting that the developer has still refused to acknowledge how horribly flawed this IAP-baited "balancing" is, even omitting the slight balance change in their update changelog. It's disgusting and shameful. Definitely not giving this company my money ever again.