Multiplayer Gaming - Questions

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Kris Jones, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    Hey guys,

I was hoping I could get some of your personal feelings about multiplayer in iPhone games, since you are here due to your avid interest in iPhone gaming and likely have your own opinions.

This is going to be a bit of a mix of public forum for debate and a focus group.

My questions:

1. On a scale of 1 - 10, how important is multiplayer, either Bluetooth or WiFi, in your decision making of purchasing a game?

2. Would you download a game for $2.99 that is not currently multiplayer enabled and pay an additional $.99 for multiplayer mode(s)?

3. Does a game turn you off if it is ONLY multiplayer enabled? Such as DinoSmash Online, etc?

I'll have more questions for you later as we continue this discussions. Thanks for your feedback and remember, this is all a matter of personal preference, so no one here is wrong, unless of course you say you hate video games in which case Shun the unbeliever!

2. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    1. Personally I don't care much for multiplayer unless it is online (I have never used local wifi or bluetooth). So I'd say multiplayer is about a 6.

2. Sure I would. $2.99 isn't a bad price if the game is great, and I'm sure others would be willing to spend a dollar more for multiplayer.

3. YES. I really dislike games that require wifi to play and don't offer a single player mode.

3. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    1. depends on the nature of the game..I'll go with 5
    2. sure, but I'd prefer it to be online (like Seishu I've never used local wifi or bluetooth except when I was playing around with it at an Apple store. al my friends are cheapasses and don't buy any games)
    3. yes probably. can't get wi-fi everywhere ;)

4. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    I responded in red above.

5. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Well, considering that I currently don't have Wifi, the first answer is pretty much a 2. If the online is that awesome I'll download and play it at someone's house (Like with Eliminate. But that's free)

As for the second, most likely not. I find paying for half the game to be a stupid concept. It's like saying "Ok, we'll give you half the game that you paid full price for, then make you pay a bit more for the rest." If anything, it should be added in a free update.

Multiplayer only games usually turn me off. Even after getting Wifi (which is probably going to be tomorrow) there's alot of times I can't play online, or just don't want to. Besides, almost every single of my favorite games don't even have online features. Single player truly makes a game for me, and making it multiplayer only really takes away from what it really could have been.

6. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    local wifi: 3 (I have the software update so I dont really care)
    Bluetooth: 5
    Online: 10 (!!!)

2. it depends what game. If it sucks I wouldnt bother with the .99 cent multiplayer. But if the gameplay/concept is good and the multiplayer is well implemented then go for it!

3. depends. If it's online then im cool with it (unless it lags or no one goes online) If its only local wifi and bluetooth then hell no

7. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    You bring up a point. I was playing iFPS Online the day it came out for free, and there was one single server. I went online, and lagged so badly I couldn't even move. It was like that time I tried to play COD4 on my pc. Then I kept getting killed by the one other person online and then the game crashed. That's when online is just no fun whatsoever.

8. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    As I thought, some of you would say that developers should implement multiplayer at the core of the game without any extra charge.

The reason that I asked is because in these ever-changing AppStore times and conditions, making profit is becomingly increasingly hard. (At least there are no more Fart Apps in the Top 50!!!)

So the idea is that a solid single player game gets shipped but for a reduced price non-multiplayer people don't need to be extra for something they won't use but if you want the multiplayer, you can have it.

Of course, this also limits the # of online users so getting people in games would become a concern.

9. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    You do bring up a point... If anything, I'd say to charge for extras IN multiplayer, and not for the mode alone. This way, we all get what we payed for, but if you want that experience enhanced, then you can pay a bit more. For example, charging for multiplayer map packs would be a great way to bring in some extra cash without resorting to cheap tactics like making people pay for the mode. Maps, skins, and maybe an extra character or weapon or other thing like that without making it so that those who buy it have the upper hand are the things to sell. Just if selling characters/weapons, if they're over/under powered, no one's going to buy, as it'd be way too cheap/detrimental.

10. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    That is actually a great idea. Glad I had this forum created.

So, for example, if we were doing an RTS with a fantasy based theme (think Lord of the Rings) with the main factions of Human vs. Orc, would you be willing to pay for additional factions, such as Elves or Dwarves, etc? (Being fully balanced, of course.)

11. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    1. On a scale of 1 - 10, how important is multiplayer, either Bluetooth or WiFi, in your decision making of purchasing a game?
    moderately low-3-4ish. Though bluetooth is a 6 for me.

2. Would you download a game for $2.99 that is not currently multiplayer enabled and pay an additional $.99 for multiplayer mode(s)?
    As the others say that depends on how good the game is and I should also mention that I have a touch which limits my online options as I am also not often near a hotspot.

Now your other question related to this is yes and no. Here it is different as we understand the developers method of saving money and giving what the consumer wants. The others would find it/think it as another way to make a quick buck. Which leads to them arguing that it isn't a complete game and should have been in an update than downloadable content. There are always mixed reviews with D/l content. For me I am a fan of it and support, though not how Mjmoco does it but a complete game with d/l content if they are eager for more like Ravensword. Use your judgement on whether implementing it that way but whether I think you should do it, it's a yes.

3. Does a game turn you off if it is ONLY multiplayer enabled? Such as DinoSmash Online, etc?
    Again yes but only because i am limited to online play.

12. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    Can you clarify this for me? Bluetooth is better than WiFi, although it's only local?

13. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Well Kris this is just personal preference. I am limited in hot spots and bluetooth I can play with another with a limiting factor other than the fact that it is only local.

14. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    Oh, I see. I was just trying to understand. :) Thanks.

15. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    1. In my decision making, bluetooth and WiFi aren't factors I look for. But if it is included, it just makes me like the game even more as the developers took the time to add in "the extra". Probably a 5 or 6 if both Bluetooth and WiFi are implemented.

2. The multiplayer update idea is one that I tend not to enjoy. I would rather pay a full $3.99 for multiplayer and the game rather than buying half, and then another half later. I'm sure most of us want the full experience right off the bat.

3. Oh yeah, for sure. Only multiplayer-enabled games usually sit in the dust after 1 or 2 days of intense playing, and while it's worth the $0.99 I paid for, the long term factor is not there. But if people say it's good (like DinoSmash), I tend to buy it just for the smooth and intense online play.

16. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    1. 5 or 6, multiplayer is for certain games, but not all games.

2. If I enjoy the game, then yes.

3. YES. I hate it when games are Online-Only. Especially when you aren't in a wifi connection.

17. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

1. Probably 6. I love multiplayer games, but I have no problem in a great single player game

2. Depends on the game and whether it is global or local multiplayer

3. Yes, unless the game is really good or works over EDGE

On another note I hate games that are only bluetooth enabled. As original devices (like mine) cannot play them. If your going to make a multiplayer game please take the time to make it bluetooth as well as wifi

18. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    Question: If and when, for example, Minigore ever receives multiplayer, would you pay an additional $.99?