Thoughts on Bluetooth Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jychong, Jan 19, 2010.

1. jychong

jychong Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Hello all,
    I am working on my next game and am wondering if putting in bluetooth multiplayer is worth the time and effort. Do most people who game on the iphone/ipod touches mostly do it for a single player experience or is it more about the multiplayer? When I mean single player experience, I still include global leaderboards/high scores. What do you guys think?

2. FancyFactory

FancyFactory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    My next game will include multiplayer via WiFi - I think multiplayer is something that should not be missed in upcoming games (as long as its fits to the gameplay). Beside of that its a nice challenge for me as a developer.

3. jychong

Nov 22, 2008
    Interesting.. why not bluetooth?

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I mostly play single-player, but the majority of my multiplayer iPod gaming is Bluetooth, since the local WiFi blocks a lot of things. ;)

5. FancyFactory

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    Because I have no idea how to implement it. :) WiFi multiplayer is an "easy" client/server based networking component but Bluetooth is peer-to-peer networking....I guess. But I have not really checked out all possibilities as I'm working on the singleplayer part of my game currently.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't know a single person with an iPhone or iPod Touch, so bluetooth MP leaves me hangin'.

Actually that's a lie, I know a guy with an iPhone, he lives 3000 miles away.

7. FancyFactory

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    You are living in London and the next guy with an iPhone is 3000 miles away? I guess iDevices are not very popular in UK. ;)

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The next guy I like enough to talk to and play games with :p

9. jychong

Nov 22, 2008
    Did you check out the GameKit SDK for the iphone? Bluetooth seems relatively straightforward to me(though I haven't tried it). Sending data also seems to be the same(they have the same TCP vs UDP type protocols)

10. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    iPhone/iPod touch is probably the most popular mobile device out there, so there are obviously a lot, and there is a high chance of two friends or co-workers owning oneā€¦ but you also have to consider how likely it is for two co-workers or friends to each have your App too!

I think the most successful target audience for bluetooth multiplayer will be kids in school, who are likely to both purchase your app if they are good friends and want to play multiplayer. Apart from that, it might go a bit unused.

I think network/online multiplayer is a lot more compelling.

11. Amelia

Amelia Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    we're working on a multi-player aspect through bluetooth for the multi-player version of running with scissors.

12. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

you could play with me and my little brother! we live in england! proof is, my dad works at imperial college!:D

13. Quorlan

Quorlan Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    Personally, though I've done plenty of multiplayer gaming on the iPhone, I have never used Bluetooth for a multiplayer game.

I think the OP was after some opinions on whether it's worth the time and effort of implementing Bluetooth multiplayer vs. leaving it out and relying on WiFi or Internet multiplayer.

Plus, first gen iPod Touch doesn't have Bluetooth, but does have WiFi.

To me, I guess it depends on what the time and effort looks like. Will it take an extra day to do, or will it take a month? In the end you have to weigh the cost vs. benefit.