iPhone SpaceChem Mobile (by Zachtronics)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Felonious Tub, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Felonious Tub

Felonious Tub Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    This game has just popped up on the app store and I didn't hear anything about it so I thought I'd share.

It's a game that's been out on the Mac and PC for awhile now and in a word, it's awesome.

It's a puzzle sort of game where you have to make different chemicals by bonding, rotating splitting and all sorts of commands.

It starts out pretty simple but the difficulty ramps up really, really quickly. It's definitely one that's going to keep you thinking for a while.

I think it's well worth the asking price, there should be heaps of videos on youtube if you want to check it out.

PS, i've got no idea how to add the app info so here's a link. Maybe someone could PM me how to add games to the posts. Thanks.

http://appshopper.com/games/spacechem-mobile

SpaceChem Mobile

Need help? Contact [email protected]!

SpaceChem is an obscenely addictive, design-based puzzle game about…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details

SpaceChem is an obscenely addictive, design-based puzzle game about building machines and fake science!

Take on the role of a Reactor Engineer working for SpaceChem, the leading chemical synthesizer for frontier colonies. Construct elaborate factories to transform raw materials into valuable chemical products! Streamline your designs to meet production quotas and outperform other engineers!

SpaceChem Mobile is a faithful adaptation of the award winning PC game SpaceChem, and includes the full selection of player-created “ResearchNet” puzzles and a modified campaign tailored for the iPad.

Awards and recognition for SpaceChem:
    * Indie Game of the Year at EDGE Magazine and Gamasutra/IndieGames.com
    * "I think we might have just received one of the year's best indie games in the first week of 2011." (Rock Paper Shotgun)
    * Winner, Extra Credits "Genre Buster" award
    * 7/8 at Out of Eight
    * 89/100 at PCGamer
    * 9/10 at Eurogamer
    * 9.5/10 at Igromania
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Puzzle
    Release:Oct 01, 2011
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    User Rating: (2)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Looks interesting, but at 5.99, I put it on my wishlist on appshopper. I had not noticed it yet either

3. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Thanks a lot, Felonious Tub!

SpaceChem is ridiculously good. It will keep you thinking for weeks (even for months), not because you're dumb, believe me. :p

The port is amazing, perfectly suits the iPad. Hands down, it's one of the best puzzlers on the platform, which means a lot.

Go check out a great introduction here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/10/wot-i-think-spacechem/

4. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

SpaceChem Mobile

SpaceChem is an obscenely addictive, design-based puzzle game about…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details

SpaceChem is an obscenely addictive, design-based puzzle game about building machines and fake science!

Take on the role of a Reactor Engineer working for SpaceChem, the leading chemical synthesizer for frontier colonies. Construct elaborate factories to transform raw materials into valuable chemical products! Streamline your designs to meet production quotas and outperform other engineers!

SpaceChem Mobile is a faithful adaptation of the award winning PC game SpaceChem, and includes the full selection of player-created “ResearchNet” puzzles and a modified campaign tailored for the iPad.

Awards and recognition for SpaceChem:
    * Indie Game of the Year at EDGE Magazine and Gamasutra/IndieGames.com
    * "I think we might have just received one of the year's best indie games in the first week of 2011." (Rock Paper Shotgun)
    * Winner, Extra Credits "Genre Buster" award
    * 7/8 at Out of Eight
    * 89/100 at PCGamer
    * 9/10 at Eurogamer
    * 9.5/10 at Igromania
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Puzzle
    Release:Oct 01, 2011
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    User Rating: (2)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

5. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    @ Dazzlemi -- I feel you there, the price is pretty steep.

But man, you have no idea how wrong you are if you think it's not worth six bucks (or twenty, as it's original price)!

You will get hundreds of hours of pure joy for your money, so it's well worth it. Sure, you'll need the appropriate mindset, but you will love every minute of it.

It's a Cave shooter calibre game, with tremendous replayability. Go get it.

6. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I've just downloaded it, and have found I've apparently spent £2.99 for an advert for a PC game - the first screen I am presented with says something along the lines of 'did you know SpaceChem is available on PC with more content, including boss battles and a story'...

7. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    I bought the Mac version on steam a couple months ago and I can tell it is one of my top 3 games of the year, awesome puzzler, but not for everyone.

8. Felonious Tub

Felonious Tub Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    I kind of disagree that it's just an ad for the PC version. The only reference I've seen is on the menu screen telling you about it but that's it. Either way though, this game stands up on it's own merits but like goiMot says, it won't be for everyone.

9. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Puzzle games about programming (however abstract) are way rare. This one is very, very well done on PC/Mac. Instabuy for me.

10. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Interface is a little wonky, though. Especially not liking the bit where you hold down show menu type buttons while touching elements. Makes it hard to play with one hand. They really need to learn tap and hold gestures for menus instead of menu buttons.

Basic goodness (storyline aside) seems all there. But newbies to the game may be put off by the mobile UX design decisions. Might be worth waiting a rev or two to see if they're smoothed out.

11. Dreamshadow

Dreamshadow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2011
    I hate this game with a passion, and yet I'm still gonna buy it for the iPad. I hate the game because it makes me feel so stupid when I can't figure out how to process molecules and ship them off properly. And then suddenly, I get a challenge and I want to jump up and yell "take that chemistry teacher in tenth grade!" (my chem teacher was a very good one, any failings I have in the subject are my fault, not hers,). Buy this game now for some of the best thinking/programming/efficiency puzzles out there. Zachtronics deserves for this game to go to the top of the charts.

12. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    #13 Fimb, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
    You know what's funny with a game like this? We're always moaning about not having many full-fledged games on the platform, then we have one, and we're complaining about the price. It's ridiculous how spoiled we are. I gladly pay 6, 10, or 15 bucks for a game like this. For a World of Goo, a Sworcery, a Cave shooter, or a SpaceChem it's nothing.

We are part of the problem, sure, but Apple is as guilty as we are here. They should curate their stuff. Or separate a premium game section with premium prices.

/end minirant

13. Dreamshadow

Dreamshadow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2011
    I agree. While I was in the beta test for it, so I had lots of experience with the game, I didn't flinch at King of Dragon Pass at 9.99. I knew the game had huge replay value. SpaceChem is right up there. It's a solid game on the PC already, and I happily own it. 9.99 would have been fine with me, and 5.99 is a great price.

It is possible that he is able to maintain the lower price on the ipad because the PC/Mac version has sold well, but only Zachtronics Industries can tell us that.

14. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Thanks for the reminder Dreamshadow, I'll get King of Dragon Pass as soon as I'm done with SpaceChem and Dark Souls (two wonderfully masochistic games)!

15. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #16 Misguided, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
    I'm on the second planet and Spacechem has died. CTD every time the progress bar hits the right side of the splash screen. I've closed every program, turned the power off, etc. New version does the same thing.

I think this started after a crash inside the game. I was moving symbols around but don't know exactly what caused the problem. I have a feeling my save state is borked. Looks like I'm going to have to delete the game, which is a bummer.

iPad 2
    OS 4.3.5

Working again after deleting the data. Just completed the second planet.

16. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Scratched my head a lot with this last night when I first launched it - so much to take in first time - but wow was it worth it.

17. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Not about to double dip since I have no wish to play through the game twice and thus feeling my stupidity a second time, but this is a brilliant puzzle game if not for everyone.

18. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Not to take any thunder away from the iOS version, but SpaceChem was recently added to the Humble Frozen Bundle!

If you've got a computer to play it on, here's your chance to buy it (and a number of other great games) for whatever price you feel like paying...

19. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Hmmm...