New World Colony gets free-to-play 'lite' version

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by easmussen82, Jan 8, 2012.

1. easmussen82

easmussen82 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2011
    independent iOS developer
    #1 easmussen82, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    Hello, I'm the developer of New World Colony, a digital strategy board game built for iOS. It's well-liked by players (4.5 stars avg over 500+ ratings) and I just released a 'lite' version of my app, so now you can give it a try for free.

This lite version allows you to play unlimited games against the easiest AI setting which is perfect for beginners anyways. The paid version grants you access to all different levels of AI, all the game modes + map sizes, online multiplayer, and is a universal app.

If you're interested in viewing a history of its development and reading some in-depth discussions of the mechanics, there's a useful TA thread here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=71843

Here's the download link for the lite version:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/new-world-colony-lite/id492594363?mt=8

and the paid version:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/new-world-colony/id395137626?mt=8

Hope you like it, and feel free to drop any feedback you have right here and I'll respond as soon as I can!

[​IMG]

2. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Still requires iOS 5, eh? :(

3. easmussen82

Jan 2, 2011
    Yeah, although I've been considering going back and changing this. Are you intentionally staying on iOS 4.0, and if so what's the main reason for that? I thought that they restored multitouch gestures to 5.0, and I know that was a big reason why people didn't want to upgrade.

4. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    1) Because I don't happen to have a free week to upgrade my iPad 2. And no I'm not exaggerating, my iPhone 4 was so messed up that I spent the better part of a week putting it back together, and there's no way I'm even going to consider going through that for the kids iPods, let alone my iPad. Even considering that it was probably an outlier, there's not enough benefit to take the chance right now. Outside of this game, and a couple of Apple products (keynote, pages, imovie) everything else works just fine in 4.3.5. (And I have LOTS of apps.) And BTW - Apple Tech Support sucks. I say that as having been the head of a couple IT departments for 15+ years, and working in IT for 25+.

2) I have programs that have not been updated for iOS 5 compatibility.

3) iOS 5 offers very little compelling for me. I say that currently running it on one of my 4 itouch devices - 2 ipod touches (both 32 gig), one 32 gig iphone 4, and one 64 gig ipad2.

FWIW you're cutting yourself out of a whole market segment. Most likely largely of older devices, but also of people who are in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it category". As a developer I think you want to make your product compatible to as many products as possible. I suspect there are more folks who didn't upgrade than who did, but you'll never hear from them because those are the folks who just buy the device and use it (and probably who apple is trying to get to upgrade by making upgrades for their own apps require iOS 5).

My .02 cents. It's your product, do as you wish.

5. easmussen82

Jan 2, 2011
    You have lots of great points. I'd definitely love to grab as much market share as possible, and I do have a hunch I'm leaving a lot on the table. I'll definitely be taking a look and making a decision for one of the next few versions. Will post again here if/when I end up making this change.

6. easmussen82

Jan 2, 2011
    Thanks to your post, I was convinced to add backwards compatibility into the next version. I submitted it today and hopefully should be available soon!

7. easmussen82

Jan 2, 2011
    The new version of New World Colony Lite is now out, and now it's backwards-compatible with iOS 4.3. Thanks for the feedback!

Lite Version
    Full Version