Exiles of Embermark - a PVP RPG tailored for one-handed play (by Gunslinger Studios)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thewzrd, Feb 5, 2016.

?

In mobile RPGs, do you get more excited about PvP or PvE? (and why)

1. PvP is more exciting

41 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. PvE is more exciting

93 vote(s)
    52.0%
  3. They are equally as exciting

45 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Hunt

There's a community Hunt going on over at the Exiles forums, where all role-playing participants get an Epic item at launch (no matter the participation level).

Much will be revealed about Exiles lore, so check it out-- it's centered around this very important piece of Embermark geography:

[​IMG]

The Hunt is here! Who wants an Epic?

2. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Couple game dev updates this week, with new forums design going live last week (check it out here) as well as full PVP working from device to device. Now you can Search for anyone in the game, see if they're live and ready to battle or play their "data" (read: play them as a bot if they're not around-- don't worry, that doesn't affect anything other than practice and you get some XP):

[​IMG]

We don't have all the weapons looking right just yet (check that enemy axe ^) but we're getting there!

3. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Game Dev Update | 12.31.16

All new Game Dev Update is up over at the Exiles site!

We're jamming toward a build you can playtest, and there's a bunch of info on progress we've made including:

This Legendary Helm:

[​IMG]

Magery!

[​IMG]

Info on Factions and how your Reputation with them matters:

[​IMG]

A sneak peek at the Rogue Class:

[​IMG]

And a ton more info on everything. Check out the Update for all the details and hit me with any questions about our progress here on the thread.

4. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    ...and in hypocrisy news, I've stated many times that there are no rats, bats, spiders or wolves in Exiles, but I lied.

We're working on a wolf.

Here's a sketch from the last Dev Update:

[​IMG]

He's modeled and into animation testing too, but my defense is that we came up with a really cool lore/storyline element that made this run-of-the-mill RPG NPC staple worth designing. I was just making fun of low level RPG enemies anyway.

If you end up hating him, I will submit to your punishments...

5. Kimchisoju

Kimchisoju Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Male
    Caregiver
    No dont!

If the usual run of the mill has its own story and its engaging, then the usual run of the mill is not in the mill and i would not mind running against it! I hope all is well in the development too and cant wait to beta this beauty and help find bugs!

6. paolopingol

paolopingol Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    IT Programmer/Digital Arts
    Hope to have some good customizations on your character. Add some female characters as well. :)

7. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    In looking at the games website, it looks like female and male characters are planned, although the male is being developed first. I don't think you will get much in the way ofnactusl character customization, I believe that would come later through the gear you decide to pick up and wear.

8. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes, that will be the idea out of the gate. There's a base male and female that you'll customize over time, though we have built in support for skins and races-- it's just down the roadmap of features right now (after deep loot, talents, Abilities, etc-- don't worry, I think the level of gameplay-affecting character customization will satisfy your RPG urges).

And @Kimchisoju, thank you-- we hope not to disappoint you with our non-run-of-the-mill wolves... they're sly and eeeevil, just you wait...!

9. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We're off and running now with Bound, having delivered our first several story beats to them to kickoff the storyline of the game before it comes out. There will be several "episodes" prior to game release that ground players in the world of Embermark. Posted a little snippet here.

10. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Psst!

Exiles is gonna be a showcase game in Epic's GDC booth Mar 1-3 (WOOT). Anyone going?

11. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    A showcase game huh? That sounds fancy! I wish I could go to GDC but alas, it's not in my neck of the woods. Good luck though!

12. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    thanks, Nezuja-- we're looking forward to it!

13. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Game Dev Update | 1.30.17

Just posted a big Dev Update on the Exiles blog.

This month, we're featuring a bunch of detail and imagery which I'll highlight here:

Equipment tells and what players can learn from looking at their opponent's loadout

[​IMG]

Narrative choices that players will use to learn lore, affect the Motivation system and help guide the overall game story

[​IMG]

Eeeeevil wolves

[​IMG]

The beginning of our series of deep dives into individual Abilities, so that players can get a sense of what "Moves" do

[​IMG]

And of course, a bunch more. The hidden tidbit this time around is in the final image of the Update... check it out.

14. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Gunslinger team is going to be working the Epic Unreal Engine booth at GDC from Feb 28-Mar 3 to show off the latest build of Exiles.

[​IMG]

If anyone is going, let me know and let's hook up to play the game at or around the show...

15. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Figured out animated LOOTS this last week (well, we've been planning for it for a while and it doesn't QUITE work yet, but I'm very excited about it-- imagine this staffs eyeball changing... and looking at you!):

[​IMG]

16. fliindnyce

fliindnyce Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    #156 fliindnyce, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    That's so you wiz... that thing is amazing... I love the progress since I signed up back in feb 2016 this is a long time coming...

17. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha, thanks I think! Looking forward to hearing what you think when it lands...!

18. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We're cranking on more equiment this week, and here's another staff that will find itself into the GDC build that we'll be showing on the show floor:

[​IMG]

19. zdkazz

zdkazz Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Can't wait for this....

20. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Wow, reeeally nice. I can still say without a doubt this is my most anticipated mobile game of 2017. Loving how Morphite is shaping up too, but Exiles still beats all by far. So hard to be patient, it sounds and looks so good.