Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-22-2014, 05:34 PM
iPhone 6

New IOS Apps AND Updates will need to be 64bit starting February 2015

As some of you may know, Unity 4.3 and higher has a regression that makes IOS Trees unworkable due to a low framerate. I'm using Unity 4.2 and have been following this bug for a year and asking Unity for a fix.

I just received confirmation that App Updates will need to be 64bit starting February 2015. I'm trying to find out if Unity can already build 64bit IOS Apps or if Unity 4.2 will be able to do it. It's kind of freaked me out because I have solid plans for BrightRidge and the remaining games. But it looks like there's 3 potential outcomes here:

1. Unity fixes the IOS Terrain Tree Bug, I upgrade, build 64bit and all's well
2. Unity doesn't fix the bug, i stick with Unity 4.2, it does build 64bit and i continue to use it as long as possible
3. Unity doesnt fix the bug (preventing upgrade) and I will no longer be able to update the app
4. Unity doesnt fix the bug, I update anyways buy due to the bug have to drop support for anything lower than the A7 chip

If #4 comes to pass, what i am thinking to mitigate it is that i would make the previous version of BrightRidge free so A5 and A6 devices would have something to play, and then just focus on A7 and up and hope there isn't another feature regression in unity like this one.

The other option im looking into is to replace my terrain trees with a custom system of billboards and occlusion to handle trees as objects. (maybe that should actually be option #5

I guess I just wanted to put this out here because so many people on this forum have been so helpful, and being able to share this worry i think soothes me somewhat.

My official outlook is that Unity will come through and fix the bug before February. In any case I am just going to continue to work on BrightRidge and hope for the best. But I'm kind of scared that all the money and time I've put into this might come to an end.

I'll definitely keep people posted - im sure this news affects other developers as well.
And who knows, the say in Chinese the word for Crisis is the same for Opportunity. I don't know if that's true, but its a great piece of advice, and no matter what happens I'll approach it as openly as possible. Maybe it will even lead to a new opportunity or path (HTML5 only games?, Android and PC only versions)

Thank you to the forum for listening and all you great support and feedback - it has meant a lot to me and helped a lot

Last edited by Protopop; 10-22-2014 at 06:15 PM..
Old 10-22-2014, 08:11 PM
iPad Air, iOS 8.x

Default Wow

As always blown away by the support you show on here! Loving the new update, the jumping is crazy high, but so useful for climbing. Also, for the UI, would there be a way for the users to move sliding actions or buttons around?

Curious what unitys position, if any is on fixing the bug. Objects may be the best route, would you lose a lot of functionality doing so?

Will continue supporting, can only see this becoming better and bigger over time! Oh, also played around on your website, love the mini web adventure rpg, great way to introduce your mythos and legends. Keep it up! Though more so cause I'm greedy and want to see what you create next!
Old 10-22-2014, 09:43 PM
iPhone 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrith View Post
As always blown away by the support you show on here! Loving the new update, the jumping is crazy high, but so useful for climbing. Also, for the UI, would there be a way for the users to move sliding actions or buttons around?

Curious what unitys position, if any is on fixing the bug. Objects may be the best route, would you lose a lot of functionality doing so?

Will continue supporting, can only see this becoming better and bigger over time! Oh, also played around on your website, love the mini web adventure rpg, great way to introduce your mythos and legends. Keep it up! Though more so cause I'm greedy and want to see what you create next!
I'm really happy to hear that Woodrith

I always thought Super Mario had the best jumping and i wondered why games like GTA has such lackluster jumps. After working ion it i know - it's hard I read a really great book Game Feel by Steve Swink and it helped a lot to simulate the feeling of a jump o a touch device. Its a work in progress but i wanted to make it high because i think its less realistic but more fun, more exaggerated, and i think even though BrightRidge has a kind of realistic leaning art direction, there's this element of exaggeration in everything I do.

I just heard Unity is working on the bug again, but ive heard that before and honestly it's out of my hands. I'm going to have to just accept what comes and deal with it as it happens. In life to be honest there are USUALLY work arounds to most problems - its the worrying and stress that's my only regret in this and thats something that i can control if i work on it, so... Que Sera Sera for now

If i use objects instead of trees it could work if i can build a goo billboard system, so we'll see. It would also make climbing trees possible, which is a mechanic i would love to have. Anyways i'm going to use the same algorithm i use to grow unity trees to create similar patterns of trees as objects, pull out my iPod touch and see what the performance is like. Maybe this is all a wy of telling me to try new things

Thanks so much for the support - this is one of those time i really need it and I appreciate you can feel the effort I'm putting into the world. I know I'm not an expert in any one thing, but i feel especially in the last two years that im focusiing on just a couple of games and that through iteration and feedback they're coalescing closer and closer into my vision, what i'm achieving is slowly coming closer to what i'd like to achieve - an engaging, though provoking mini world that eschews (but doesn't totally eliminate) violence in favor of adventure.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 PM
iPhone 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrith View Post
Also, for the UI, would there be a way for the users to move sliding actions or buttons around?
Forgot to mention - Customizing the position of UI buttons is coming in the next update 1.3
Old Yesterday, 03:32 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

As always, if there is anything we can do to help you - with the tree problem in this case - holler and we'll try our best

Just remembered that vonknut mentioned to use terrain-4-mobile instead a while back, here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...&postcount=528
Before you start building everything from scratch (e.g. if the bug does not get fixed) , maybe give that - or a similar solution - a shot?

Some bad news: I just went through the changelogs for 4.5 and 4.6-betas and could not find anything that looks like the tree bug is fixed in any of the two.
And no release date for Unity5 yet, looks like you are stuck with "hurry up and wait"