iPhone Baldur's Gate Enhance Edition for iPad

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Trayray, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloud tiger

cloud tiger Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2012
    UK

Will I be right ? I don't want to sound negative here but I know I do. Sorry for that ! The pc edition is getting a bit of a bashing on the forums.

My second prediction here is we are going to be disappointed with Baldurs Gate. It's going to be released late and be full of bugs. Maybe just before Christmas to catch the Christmas trade.

We will be left with a broken disappointing game riddled with bugs over Christmas while the Devs are in Hawaii.

I REALLY want to be wrong but I'm afraid BG has gone from a instant buy for me to a wait and see how it goes.

In the mean time ill dust off my original disks :)

2. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Yet to read the forums but it plays fine for me on my PC beside the old flickering issue which can be resolved by manually disabling vsync. Looks like the multiplayer aspect is unfinished though...there probably isn't going to be any cross platform multiplayer for a while.

3. cloud tiger

cloud tiger Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2012
    UK
    Well that's good news about the pc then. Something that seemed to crop up a bit on the Formums was that people were hard pressed to see any difference between the original version and the new version.

Some people were saying they had wasted their money when they could have just played their original copy.

Having the pc version what's your take on it ?

4. jamessh1

jamessh1 Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    quote from the dev on twitter:

“@TrentOster: Plan is to submit iPad build and test fixes all weekend. Monday, if build is 100% ask for expedited review. #ThatsThePlan”

and for people like myself who had no idea how the game truly played you can check out the IGN review for a bunch of information.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/12/01/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-review

5. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #385 Bytebrain, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    I also bought the game.

Their forums was after the release filled to the brim with new members who bought the game, and a good deal of them are either trolls, whiners or people with no sense of civility in a forum.

Those who needs help have a hard time finding it because people keep making new topics on things there are 30 threads about already, which are buried for exactly that reason.

The game is a great improvement over both vanilla and Tutu IMO.
    There's a few bugs, mostly minor of which I haven't run into yet.

Mostly the issues have been with certain hardware combo's that have been an issue on top of their server troubles.

The biggest complaint from a very vocal group is the interface and the fact that they see a slight blurry texture when running 1080p.
    I have no issues myself, but I have a slightly lower resolution.

The settings options in the game is lacking somewhat, although most can be achieved via the ini file, which isn't very user friendly.

This morning a hot fix was released, resolving a host of the hardware issues some was having, as well as one or two minor bugs in the game.

Personally, I absolutely love the game on such a high resolution, and having the interface autoscale, ensures that it won't be tiny, like the widescreen mod for Tutu and BGT, the same goes for the visuals and character's, they scale nicely with every resolution.

The zoom feature is improving the gameplay and visuals immensely for me.
    I only completed vanilla BG1 just after release day in ’98, and have only dabbled a bit recently in Tuto, tried a couple of mods, and I missed the close up of the characters when I played Tutu with widescreen.

I didn't play in a resolution near what I do with the enhanced version, but everything was tiny in comparison with the original, and I soon gave up on Tutu and resigned myself to wait for Enhanced Edition.

The new NPC's is great, there's new classes, new kits, new areas, quests, items, weapons, armor, dialogue and the promise of more to come in DLC, some free, bigger ones probably for a fee, which is fine by me.

The Devs cleaned up a bit in the forums, and it's not so bad anymore with multiple threads with the same topics, a few obnoxious trolls have been banned, but there are still some who seems to just revel in complaining about everything in the game.
    I guess that's to be expected, but for me, it's best buy of the year, and I can't wait for the iPad release, hopefully next week.

6. nahsik

nahsik Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Started playing the enhanced edition on the PC. I'm waiting for the port on the ipad. Can't wait.

7. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    I will be surprised if apple gives them an expedited review. It's supposed to be for apps that are currently selling in the store and have debilitating bugs, not for devs who miss deadlines.

If I had to guess, we'll see it the week of the 11th. OS X version, probably not until after the 28th, when iTunes connect comes back from the holidays.

8. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Actually, there have been developers who have gotten an expedited review and release for an app not released on AppStore. It's not a common thing, but it does happen for the higher profile games I have noticed...

9. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Ah, nice. I did not know that. BG is certainly high profile, so here's to hoping.

10. Prodigy_BE

Prodigy_BE Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    It even happens for smaller games. Our co-created game Retrobot got expedited because our Canadian partner had the opportunity to do a launch live on TV. As long as you have a valid reason, Apple will grant it.

11. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Well, it's rejected by Apple.. so have to wait till later or next week...

12. nahsik

nahsik Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Damn it! Looks like I'll keep playing on PC.

My character I started with was a thief. Big mistake.

13. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Heh, yeah, with Imoen being a thief as well, that would make things a bit difficult...

14. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    #394 Bool Zero, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
    Not really, just know you can't do it all yourself! It's been a long time since I've played but I've beaten the game as a Thief (on at least one of many playthroughs). Stealth, backstabbing and reloading if it goes south is the way to go! Your thief should be your scout, checking rooms ahead for enemy positions and counts so that you can plan according for the tactics of the rest of your party...

Man, I can't wait for this iPad version to come out. I may need to load up my old copy just to pass the time or just break down and buy the PC Enhanced Edition, even though my old copy of BG 1&2 are staring at me from my CD case!

15. nahsik

nahsik Member

Dec 2, 2012
    #395 nahsik, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
    This is exactly my problem. I had to let Imoen go. I'll definitely choose someone a lot better once on the ipad.

Thanks bool for tip. This is my first time playing the game and I can see why it can get addictive.

16. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    No problem! Just remember position is actually key, especially when you throw spell asters into the mix! Make sure you get your Thieves/Rogues flanking and behind for backstabbing damage as that is where they are an asset! Use you Fighters, Babarians and even Paladins as meat shields with Clerics pulling healing duty. Rangers and Druids as middle support as they fill both rolls but none do them fully well, so make use of their range and their special abilities. Also make sure you focus your characters progression on what roles you want them to fill, particularly Wizards, Rangers, Thiefs, and such, as they can go in different directions.

For example, do you want a pure blasting wizard, a trickster type that deals in illusions and controlling groups, etc. likewise for the rest, like Rangers who can go the mile path or the ranged path and so on. You have lots of options, just know you have little room to play around with everything. Even multi classing, you will never truly have a jack of all trades... Or you may but you will have a master of none!

17. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Just read a tweet fom Trent 6 hours ago the the ipad app was rejected by apple. So it looks like they wasted their expedited review. It starting to look like this game won't make it before the end of the year.

18. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    Why it was rejected?
    Buggy version was accepted, now fixed version got rejected?

19. nahsik

nahsik Member

Dec 2, 2012
    For those who are totally new to the series like me this guide can definitely help to get the most out of your experience without the spoilers.

http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/home.htm

20. Garret

Garret Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    the website says coming soon for ipad and mac os x so its back to square 1 and a case of we just wait till it comes