If you want to live on Mars, now is your chance. 100% serious.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by TheEvilRobot, May 10, 2013.

1. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    #1 TheEvilRobot, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    The article and the video

The article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/apr/22/mars-one-project-astronauts

The videos:

Basically, they are selecting a group of 4 humans (you have to volunteer and there are already 10,000 applicants) known as "Mars One" to go and start to colonize Mars.

There are many issues though:

The humans will not be able to return to Earth because their body physiology will have changed. Their bodies will have adjusted to Mars's 38% surface gravity. Because of these changes, they will not be able to return to Earth which has a higher surface gravity.

After the humans settle, astronauts will be sent to Mars every 2 years.

In all honesty, I believe they should send a monkey up there or at least test this idea on the moon first.

This is very dangerous and I think they should test this out more before sending humans up there. The last thing anyone needs is a disaster. However, space exploration needs to start somewhere.

Edit

And with that I leave you with a quote:

"This is one small step for man, a giant leap for mankind" - Neil Armstrong

So! Here is the question: Would you do it?

I was thinking about, however if I were to do it I would wait and see how it turns out. The last thing I would want to happen is some kind of disaster and find out that we are royally ******.

Also, please leave your thoughts.

2. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Why would you try this on the moon? The moon is different than mars. The gravity and whatever is different. Right? I don't really want to google right now :p

3. TheEvilRobot

Apr 4, 2013
    Yeah true.

I just hope that they be more cautious. It seems like they are rushing it. It just happened out of nowhere

4. Sambobsung

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Hey man, we're making bold moves. Y'know, we're going to run out of resources eventually. Better doing it now and mastering it instead of doing it last minute.

5. TheEvilRobot

Apr 4, 2013
    I definitely agree. Space exploration needs to begin somehow.

It would be so cool to go to Mars.

Would you do it?

6. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Definately.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah I vote we send Saan. And three other people we don't want to post on TA ever again.

8. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Hey!

9. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'm sure they will get their volunteers I do doubt they will ever get there though and if they do they are in for a nasty time of it just think of all the medical tests and the actual physical work involved.

Would be one way of going down in history but way to many sacrifices for me at least as one of the first.

10. "The humans will not be able to return to earth..."

Sign me up please

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Voted.

Right, so that's Saan and Hoggy on the one-way suicide mission to the most boring place imaginable. Two more.

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    There's no wifi on mars for visiting TA or downloading the latest game updates, fyi. Just in case it slipped your mind.

13. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Mars isn't boring. It represents the biggest challenge in Humanity's expansion. Another world, so similar and yet so very diffrent from our own. Learning to master survival on this planet will allow us to grasp the universe at a whole new level. Mars' allure nowadays is not of possible life, water sources, or mining. It is test of man's ability to not only look at the planets, but to travel freely between them. Getting there will be the biggest leap in space history as it will be our first planet besides earth to be explored by humanity. It will always be looked on at from earth in the days after a sucessful landing, the settlements implaced on its surface a testemant to the indominatable of mankind.
    Mars is so much more than a planet. It is the gateway to the universe for humanity. A gate way we are getting closer to each day.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah, and it's empty. Go there now.

15. Sambobsung

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    So it's like Minecraft right?

16. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Exactly, not leaving much behind here anyways. Lol.

17. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Well didn't they upload the Black Eyed Peas guy's song to Curiosity? Maybe there will be Internet there and you can play, tweet and checkin on Mars via Foursquare.

18. I'll just go on the MWW

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Also empty.

20. THEN I SHALL FILL IT UP

And it won't be 75% sexual content like the WWW