Buying games and not playing them!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Pr135ty, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Pr135ty

Pr135ty Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Student
    United Kingdom
    I notice alot of people in these forums that say they have purchased games but haven't played them yet. Personally when I get a new game I play it straight away, but then again I am not very patient. I just wanted to see what other people are like when they purchase a new game.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I usually play right away, but not for very long. If I'm scouring the forums I might download 4-5 in a row before I play any but it's not like I buy something and ignore it for days.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #3 backtothis, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    I try it out for 5 minutes after I buy it. If I don't like it, straight to the trash can. If I do like it, then add it to my 150+ game backlog! Yay, it's come down a long way from 200+. I don't have a single free game, and I buy 1-2 apps per day on average xP.

4. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

It really depends on the game, sometimes I'll spend $1 on a game and delete it after playing it once and sometimes I'll buy a game on sale and have it sitting on my device for weeks before playing it. I've wanted to purchase Secret of Mana for a while but waited for the recent sale and still haven't touched it yet. Meanwhile I've barely scratched the surface of Robot Wants Kitty and Superbrothers: S&S because I've been inclined to play a lot of Forget-Me-Not. I don't mind spending $15 or so on a handful of games at once and letting a few slip by the wayside.

5. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I'll sometimes grab games that go on sale even though I have other ones that I'm currently playing. In those cases, they'll often go to my backlog and I won't touch them for awhile until I get through my current ones.

6. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I've got to the point where if it's a game I've been really anticipating, I'll pick it up upon release and play it until I either beat it or delete it(if it doesn't offer replayabiltiy and/or planned updates). If it's just intriguing, I'll put it on my Appshopper and follow the thread for enough positive user feedback/reviews to stay up to date on it, a price drop, or an update that sounds like its then worth getting. Thankfully this has prevented impulse buys for sometime now.

7. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I'm a game player, not a game collector.

Why waste your money on games you know your not gonna touch for months? Even if you have the extra cash, it doesn't make sense.

Something like iDOS, or those other ones that slipped by Apple are understandable. But stocking up on Gameloft and EA games is like buying cottage cheese in bulk- they're gonna stink when you open them.

8. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #8 backtothis, Mar 30, 2011
    When you delete 5 paid games daily at least, this statement is invalidated.

If I find a game to be boring in the slightest way, it's instantly gone. The only games I put in my backlog are the best rated games of each month since I know they'll stand the tests of time. For example, I haven't started GTA: CW, and that came out over a year ago. 50 games in my backlog fall under this category. The other 100 are popular recent games in the top 200 that I haven't even 5 minutes on like I usually do when I buy the game. Sometimes I just have to play the new game though and spend hours and hours on it, like StarFront. It's cool knowing I'll always have tons of quality titles to play. I save these good games not because I want to save them, but because I don't want to get addicted to one of them, like StarFront (which I spent 30 hours on just the first week it was released), and have my backlog grow even larger. This happens since I always want all the new titles people claim to be fun. When I do find the time though, I play through the quality titles and enjoy them. Most times though during the weekdays, I'm pretty much just clearing out my backlog of games and mass deleting.

9. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

This.

10. Paradiso

I didn't mean you specifically, you seem to have good taste. I just meant in general, like when I hear of people buying games that are subpar today, and literally not even launching them once. I might buy a bunch of games I'm looking forward to, but I won't buy too many more until I'm done with those.

11. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #11 backtothis, Mar 30, 2011
    Updated my last post with a bit more info about myself.
    Yeah, I know that haha. To be honest though, it is a problem for me as well. For example, I very well know that I dislike casual games greatly for the most part except for a few quality titles that come around every now and then. However, I always download the newest high ranking casual games and ones that other people find fun. They just end up being deleted within 5-10 minutes. I wish I could just bring myself to only buy the deeper games that I enjoy that take time to finish. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I guess it's mostly the want to keep up with the times. Other that that, I'm an impulsive buyer. In a way, it's a good thing for the forums I guess, haha. I'll always have something to say about a game people are wondering about. It's just that the AppStore is such a different market in comparison to other consoles. There's always decent new games coming up without mercy, and the prices are low enough to splurge without too much guilt. It's a big change from $60 a pop. I can honestly say though that it's my favorite platform of all time. I started playing games on the SNES and the Game Boy Pocket, and moved through generally every platform since then up to the PS3. There's something here on the iOS for everyone, which is a lot more than I can say for any other console. Needless to say, I haven't touched any other consoles for quite some time, but now own a third iDevice (not including Nanos and Macbooks).

12. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    This pretty much sums it up for me too.... except I don't buy every new game and games I get on sales usually go straight to the backlog. The only games I play right away are games I've been anticipating for a while or games that have EXTREMELY awesome feedback (dead space, and the works) I do have some free games, so I guess backtothis's backlog is higher quality than mine... but mine is probably larger (considering I have free games, and some I just can't delete because I like it but I don't ever feel like playing it, if you know what I mean).

13. Paradiso

I feel the same here. Even though I'm spending about the same as I would with a console, and getting about the same amount of enjoyment, theres just more to iOS gaming than the games themselves. There's the hunt for the best ones in the AppStore, the thrill of taking a chance on one and finding a hidden gem, the generally great community, especially here, and being able to see 400 of your favorites right on one screen. No other device, handheld or console, can give me that.

I remember playing the preloaded games on the original iPods and thinking wow, this pretty nifty for a music player. How ever many years later and I've owned at least 6 iPods, 2 iPads, and a Mac. iOS really is the renaissance of mobile gaming as far as I'm concerned.

14. Paradiso

I know exactly what you mean. Having folders and 64GB of space means the majority of the apps I have never get touched, even though I've played them all some point :D

15. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I most definitely know what you mean. There's so games that you don't want to play, but just can't let go of. I used to only delete games off my iPod but still keep them on iTunes. Recently, I've been pretty much throwing everything out of iTunes as well, but there's so many older titles from even over a year ago that I just can't bring myself to delete. iTunes currently counts 455 total apps.

Most times I play the games I anticipated straight through (Dead Space, like you said). But there's time when two many quality titles are dropping one after another, and there's nothing you can do but keep them stored up on your iPod. Think back to December.
    Yeah, you're definitely right. There's something about iOS gaming that can't be found elsewhere, and you've listed a good deal of what those could be. Haven't gone through that many products yet haha, but I agree, Apple knows what they're doing as far as advancing technology goes. I know some people like having a material disc or cartridge, but with decent internet and Apple products, downloadable files are the way to go. They're just so much more accessible to everyone, and that's honestly what's important to a lot of people.

16. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Another situation in which I'll buy a game without the intent of playing it right away is when a developer I like releases a game and I feel like supporting them. An example that comes to mind would be Secret of Mana. I bought it when it came out, but since I've played it before, I'm in no hurry to play it again before I finish some of the other games on my iPhone. I know I could have easily waited for a sale, but I don't mind shipping Square-Enix a few extra bucks since they're one of my favorite developers of all time.

17. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    Chaos Rings
    Galaxy on Fire 2
    Zenonia 2
    Dungeon Defenders
    Battle for Wesnoth

I've played maybe about 10 minutes of a couple of these. But yea, I play more pick up games than I should. When I do get an hour or 2 to play, I normally resort to tiny wings etc...

Sad

18. cauliflower36

cauliflower36 Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Just like girls buying clothes, they are always in pursait for beautiful clothes, but they may not put on all of clothes they bought. We are often on an impulse. We need to be more rational.

19. plantstorm

plantstorm Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2011
    game developer
    I was trying to get free promo code before buying it. To save money and space.

20. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I have one game I've bought that I haven't even test loaded let alone played and I've had it quite a while easily a few months anyway it's rimelands hammer of thor I do like rpgs which is why I probably originally bought it but I've always been to busy with other games to try it.