The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jdragoon19, Nov 8, 2011.

1. gamerjames22

gamerjames22 Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    want to see more comment about it.. if good, will try it

2. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I made potions like resistance to frost and fire etc.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    A lot of people seem to overlook the magicka damage enchantments, but they're incredibly useful against casters. A few whacks with that and they're forced to try and melee you.

4. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
  5. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Haha! That is some of the most offensive and ridiculous things I have read so far. Please tell me it's fake.

Best bit.

6. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I'm having such an amazing time with this game... 25 hours in and i've barely progressed through the main storyline.

A few nice shots I took earlier:
    (FXAA Injector + several texture mods)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Buy it.

8. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    If only I had more money. Anyone wanna volunteer to buy it for me? :eek:
    Hopefully you realize I am just kidding instead of ragin at me.

9. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Kinda funny how the snow changes texture in a certain radius around the rocks, but other than that.... I wish I had a gaming computer. :p

10. smashdev2011

smashdev2011 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Near San Fran
    Shield + Destruction spell owns everything. Bash them when you're out of magic, spray, then bash again. Awesome game.

11. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I used to play skyrim

Then I took an arrow to the knee.

12. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    IGA GOTY

Can't wait to play this in 4 days. Getting a 360 as soon as I'm back home, and this will definitely be the first game I load up. Already got a brand new copy of it.

13. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    #75 TakenXXDeadly, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
    I'm not a fan of RPGs or games with old weapons, but this game is AMAZING. It's really awesome. Practically everyone in my home group is playing it now because of what I have been saying about this game.

I just bought borderlands because it's coop, and I guess I'm going to be playing these two games until halo 4 comes out.

14. Been playing the game every saturday since it came out, but foes anyone feel Skyrim isn't quite as engaging as Oblivion was? Oblivion didn't feel so linear in how you had to do things (for example in Skyrim, you have to do a quest to join Dark Brotherhood, but in Oblivion, it was just to kill someone. Yes I know, the order is only slightly different but that difference makes a big impact.)

Also, the questline, whist engaging, feels a bit quiet at the start. For miscellaneous quests and dungeons etc, you have to be more proactive in finding them. What's more, it feels simplified in these ways:

Shadowmere can die
    Cannot create spells (yet?)
    Short questlines for Companions and Mages guild
    Some overly long (and consequently boring) dungeons

Skyrim just feels kinda low-key and depressing compared to Oblivion. I'm not saying it's a bad game though - it's still good. Just part of personal preference I guess, and the current lack of DLC. I wonder (since I bought Oblivion with DLC as GOTY) if the presence of DLC is having that large an effect?

15. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I was initially not going to purchase Skyrim - being an avid fan of the series since Arena I was let down huge by not only Oblivion but Fallout 3 as well. Both games felt empty and boring compared to Morrowind - although I did find Fallout 3 more enjoyable than Oblivion.

Anyways I eventually got to try out Skyrim for a little while on a low-end computer and it was epic enough that I ended up buying it for the 360. Been playing it heavy since yesterday and I think this is finally the Morrowind killer for me.

So far I love the sense of scale (first game I've played since Daggerfall that really got this right) - but what impresses me the most is how natural everything feels now. With previous ES games it always felt as if there was an excellent game world with an odd RPG system grafted on top - with Skyrim I love the way the stats work and how you don't predefine your character at the start.

Oblivion felt so small, random, and boring in comparison with cookie cutter dungeons and an artistic style that felt out of place in the series especially coming after Morrowind which had such a bleak setting in comparison to most RPG games of the time.

I do wish the environment was more dangerous though - the mountains look epic and you should not be able to scale up or down them with as much ease as currently possible. I would love if the rivers with enough water pressure would hurt you and toss you towards rocks and such. Generally I still think they need to make the world more dangerous.

16. Good point. Once I stepped out into the world, it was rather amazing to see small animals running around, since that was never seen in Oblivion. However, in its attempt to be realistic, this means any realism shortcomings (such as lack of danger) can also throw the game off. It's a bit of a see-saw, but still fine nonetheless.

17. smashdev2011

smashdev2011 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Near San Fran
    *SEMI-SPOILER*

I'm level 25 in the game (a non-violent thief type) and what I've found in this that the game scales up with you (like Oblivion). Trolls everywhere! What I suggest is investing in some combat skills, or a really good tank companion.

18. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I haven't seen much trolls... Besides the annoying 3 frost trolls guarding this tower... But I killed them with ease! I have the ebony battleaxe enchanted to do 32 shock damage (34+32=64 damage) ebony war axe enchanted to do 18 fire damage (24+18 = 44 damage) sword of draining, drains 10 health with 15 damage. Ebony bow with ebony arrows (24 + 20 + 18 enchanted fire damage).
    Oh, and I have ebony armour and ebony gauntlets.