Blutrol Compatibility list (iCade with non-iCade Games)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by lumothesinner, Jan 11, 2012.

1. DataBasic

DataBasic Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Hmm. In the meantime then I might just wire an in-line switch on the wires running from the battery compartment and fix it to the side of my iCade to cut the power temporarily.

2. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Just thought of something easier than that...
    To get blutrol you have to be jailbroken.
    If you are jailbroken you almost definitely have sbsettings installed.
    Drag down notifications and use sbsettings toggle to turn off bluetooth.
    Type in name, then turn bluetooth back on, iCade reconnects, play game again.

3. DataBasic

DataBasic Member

Jan 27, 2012
    No, I hadn't got sbsettings. Thanks for that idea :)

4. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Guys, did any of you try automatizing profile migration to just build up a HUGE database of separate iPad / iPhone profiles (ready-made BluTrol settings of compatible games) and distributing them? Then, in the worst case (unless the author of BluTrol – or I, for that matter – writes an importer app to do this) the end user will need to install SQLite Manager into his Firefox, transfer his var/mobile/Documents/BluTrol.sqlite to the desktop, run the INSERT statements and just transfers back the file to his mobile.

I've checked out the DB structure in var/mobile/Documents/BluTrol.sqlite and it seems to be fairly easily portable and deployable on (importable to) other machines. The two affected tables, ZCONTROL and ZPROFILE, only contain game- and virtual position-specific info (including even the imported game screenshots as BLOBs) and not, for example, BluTrol registration or device-specific info.

5. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    To answer my own question (after having played a bit with the SQLite databases): it's not sufficient to overwrite the original tables with two (ZCONTROL/ZPROFILE) or three (the previous ones + Z_PRIMARYKEY) table exports: games generally don't work and/or the Blutrol app immediately crashes when you try adding new games to it (by tapping "+"). It seems the plist BLOB'ed (Z_PLIST) in the table Z_METADATA also contains some metadata on the installed games.

Needless to say, direct file (BluTrol.sqlite) overwriting doesn't work either.

I'll continue with investigating the content of Z_PLIST tomorrow to be able to write an exporter/importer app to do the easy migration of game settings.

6. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Very interesting idea - thanks for looking into this!

7. Wasgo

Wasgo Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Anyone have any luck with iPhone games using Blutrol on the iPad? I've tried with RetinaPad and it didn't work, as well as without it and it still didn't work.

8. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Tested SF4 Volt with retinapad enabled. Didn't work at all (it's a working title on the iPhone). Will continue testing with other titles.

9. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Thanks! I'll try to come up with a direct database record injector to inject new games' coordinate / key binding data to the Blutrol DB from an internal database.

10. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    What I really think is missing are as follows:

- analogue iCP nub support to make games like Death Race fully playable with the nubs. This is essential and would result in a lot of new games being fully supported. Analogue support should also include the two-stick mode of e.g. Minigore (HD).

- adding continuous touch simulation is also very important. Unfortunately, tons of games (for example, GTA3 or NBA Jam) use adaptive D-pads and in most of these cases this just can't be disabled. This could be fixed by a checkbox saying "continuously inject the coordinates of the center of the D-pad to the app" and a similar code. That is, when you initially set up the position of the D-pad in BluTrol, the center point's coordinate should ALWAYS be virtually "touched" for these games to correctly work and not try to always relocate the D-pad to the new position.

I've tried playing GTA3 in the way a previous poster stated ("grand theft auto 3 works great, the move ment with the dpad for when your guy is on foot doesn't work as well but if u press and hold the dpad right in centre then start pressing in different directions you can control him kinda ok.") Unfortunately, the way of control described is pretty much useless and even worse than using the on-screen D-pad.

11. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Try flipping your unit over, or use the "FLIP" option in Bluetrol. I play SF4 Volt on my iPad (with Retinapad installed) daily.

12. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    I have:

I found a platformer called Super World Adventures which is or was free http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/super-world-adventures/id416029733?mt=8

It's obviously inspired by Mario World, and not half bad! Works totally fine with BluTrol and Retina Pad -- no problems. I simple made the control pad disc big enough to saturate the left/right movements of the virtual pad. Works perfectly with iCade.

13. blackiepang

blackiepang Active Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Works fine for me. The trick is that you have to play in a certain orientation in landscape mode.

14. darebear999

darebear999 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Marathon

Just tried mapping for marathon and it works great! It's a free download for anyone who wants to try this FPS from the mid 90s.

15. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    #55 lumothesinner, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    How do you play an FPS with an iCade? You can map movement to the stick but looking is still going to be either touch screen or horribly mapped to some buttons which wouldn't work. Did you get it to work well or one hand on stick and one hand on the screen?

I'm not going to try shadowgun until dual sticks on iCP are supported, which sounds like its in the pipeline.

16. darebear999

Dec 12, 2011
    Exactly! The icade is tiny enough that I can have a finger on the screen and another resting on the fire button. It works well and I like it more than having to hold the pad and do all that stuff too.

17. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Can't see many other people liking that method, gonna leave FPS off the list until blutrol properly supports them with drags between button presses instead of just touches.

18. darebear999

Dec 12, 2011
    Meh, it's no big deal really; and, like you say, trying to aim with buttons is retarded anyway. Give it a try before passing judgement. ;)

19. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    updated with some more posted in icade thread

Also who said that galaxy on fire 2 didnt work? gameplay works fine with dpad mapped, although I prefer tilt control on this one like the racers (only using iphone, not a huge ipad)

20. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I'm having trouble getting 3 games to work with Blutrol:

- Pinball HD (when the game is over and the enter name screen pops up, my keyboard is suppressed because of bluetooth, and I have to kill the app the end the game)

- Hook Worlds (buttons don't' map right and I can't get the jump/boost button to work at all)

- Commander Pixman (buttons don't work right)

Anyone else have issues with these titles and blutrol?