Why do you want to be game developer?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by sallysmile, Dec 29, 2014.

1. sallysmile

sallysmile Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Hi everyone,

The one who's reading this post, I guess is game developer. Why do you want to be game developer?

I could be the first one to share: Feel satisfied to see others happy at playing games that I made

2. HEAT9

HEAT9 Member

Jul 20, 2014
    The most fun way to potentially make a living.

3. sallysmile

sallysmile Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Potentially...

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I do it cause I have lots of ideas and I love developing.

I would like to make a little but it won't stop me making no matter how much or little I make.

5. scfxv

scfxv Member

Aug 27, 2014
    I do it because I love creating, and see some people enjoying the games I've done! :)

6. Sean Noonan

Sean Noonan Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Male
    Lead level designer on Gears Tactics
    UK
    #6 Sean Noonan, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    I've been doing it for almost a decade now, which is the majority of my post-education life. I've been fortunate to have the opportunity to work at startups, independent companies, big publishers and even create my own indie titles - I know this isn't the case for everyone, and I know when I have a good thing... that, and I can't imagine doing anything else ;)

Even after all of this time, it's genuinely a joy to get up in the morning. There's always the potential to learn or create. I love to dream up ideas then execute on them, often with others to create something totally new from those initial nuggets of thought.

I've met some fantastic people who share the same passion for video games as I have, and getting the chance to work with such people is really something special.

7. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    As others have said I love creating and knowing people are enjoying my games. Games got me through some rough patches growing up as a kid so I know how important they can be.

8. IronNinjaGames

Jun 17, 2014
    I left an extremely well paying job with tons of security for... well... something I knew had a low probability of both in indie game development.

BUT -- I was sure I'd love it, and I was right. This has been the most I've enjoyed working, hands down. And we haven't even launched our first game yet.

9. Idle Complexities

Idle Complexities Active Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Personally, I'm actually a prematurely 'retired' developer, previously working in comms protocols and telephony signalling. Turned out though, I can't stop being a code-writer and 'retirement' has just released a bit of time, so I now have time to develop the things I enjoy, games/puzzles easily beat comms.

I do a bit of country walking as well, and the occasional afternoon in town downing beer with a few pals who are fellow retirees.

For the main part, games/puzzles dev is turning out to be a lot like working used to be except nobody pays me anymore. Even so, chances of making money in the App Store may be slim, but they are not nil... so I can hope. And even in the absence of sensible income, I can still have fun. And I can talk about it, endlessly boring my pals, on these afternoons in town...!

10. pikpiak

pikpiak Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Have to agree with all the above.

Either you build your dreams, or you get paid to build others'.

Try both, then decide for yourself.

11. unexpect3rd

unexpect3rd Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Mobile Game Developer (Fulltime as well as indie)
    Singapore
    #11 unexpect3rd, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    "Why do you want to be a game developer?"

Because I hate myself. :lol: (then cries)

At first, I started making games (and joining the industry) out of passion. Large part of my education was gearing me towards being a programmer, because I knew programming is how you "make a game" (and also I found out I couldn't draw if my life depended on it).

Now, I've reached the point in life whereby I'm starting to feel "time is running out". Friends around me are moving up, settling down, owns their own homes and car (and I live in a country with the most expensive car ownership in the world, plus at least a quarter million dollars for the cheapest apartment ownership to start a family in). While I'm still "chasing my dream" making games in my day job for a company in an industry where small companies are highly volatile, AND making games in my off hours, playing the App store lottery, instead of out socializing and trying to find myself a life partner, or :shudders: enjoy life.

As I told a buddy of mine, "Now, I don't want to just earn money, I want to earn money making games, better still, earn money from MY games". Unfortunately, unlike numerous others, who hopped into the game industry after leaving a well paid job (with possibly a sustainable amount of savings), I started here at zero, I can't just live off instant noodles and bootstrap my projects, or start my own studio, or even outsource my game's art creations, or even give up my day job just to focus on my own games, I have the obligation of financially taking care of my retiring mother and grade school sister |:Asian:|.

Yet I still want to remain a game developer. Why? Maybe it's passion, maybe I'm just irresponsible to my life, my family, or maybe I just hate myself.

Sorry for the rant.

12. imjustmike

imjustmike Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Well, my job doesn't really allow me to be that creative, so making games in my spare time is a great outlet for me.

I doubt I'll ever become a professional developer, or do it full time, but I think I'd go insane without the freedom to go home and make something. Even if it's just making a silly little game about a man trying to get a kebab based on an in joke with a friend.

13. gatchaman73

gatchaman73 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oh So Shiny - founder : chief pixel officer
    Texas
    I feel the same way. I didn't intentionally get into games it was supposed to be for a year and then I was going to go back to graphic design/advertising/web. That was 10+ yrs ago. WOW!

It's really a hard job to "create fun" and most people don't get the time/dedication/know how that it takes. I've worked some insane hours in the past to get products out. Also, I've been lucky enough to have worked on some amazing products and with some really talented people.

I helped start a company about 18 months ago with the first programmer, I ever worked with long ago. We just announced our first game, too! This has been one of the hardest undertakings I've ever done, but totally a passion/obsession to keep making it better. Hopefully, the love shows through? Since it's just the 2 of us we have had to wear a lot of hats. Call me crazy but I love doing it and I don't sleep much... and I wouldn't do anything else!

BTW, Sean... Jack B. Nimble is awesome!

14. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    I love creating things. And to now have tools readily available to easily create amazing products that bring myself and others so much joy it's almost hard to not to want to create games. A few years ago I taught myself how to program and discovered Unity. From there it's all history. Sometimes it's tough getting caught up in the business side of things as this is my job now, but it's great to get to work from home and do something I truly enjoy for a living.

I'm hoping one day I can fund a game that gives me the same experience I had from my favorite games growing up : like Mario 64, Final Fantasy 7, Zelda Ocarina, and too many other epic games to name. Striving to create a product that offers that amazing experience is something I work towards every day. Games are a lot of fun to play and now they are even more fun to create.

15. MoonyBaboon

MoonyBaboon Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Italy
    What I really like is the creation process: starting with an idea about something that could be fun to play and adding stuff as it comes to your mind until at some point you have to force yourself to release the game even though there's still that silly thing that I could add...
    I like the fact that at some point, after so many hours of coding and sleepless nights (especially when gamedev is not your day job), the game becomes an extension of me, a sort of avatar... I believe that game making is an art form, and as such a work of art is extremely personal: you can say so much about the author playing at his games (indie games at least).
    Then I like the adrenaline rush of the moment when you show it to someone that isn't family or friends, someone that could really tear it apart and say that your game is a total piece of organic material... and maybe he says it's good.
    And finally (I must thank TA for that) when someone understands what you meant when you added that silly little detail that you thought no-one would notice... it's really, really awesome.

16. stuffedanimals

stuffedanimals New Member

Dec 17, 2014
    If you develop games, you decide the rules and players should follow your rules to play, which is a great pride to you.

17. yoethan

yoethan Active Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Couldn't agree with this more. I just can't see myself working for a big corporation so I decided to try and make games for a living. It's not easy but hey, it's really fun.

18. ThumbSnail

ThumbSnail Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
    I think it’s the progression of the whole project: you start with an idea and wonder if you can turn it into something more. You learn to code and eventually get a basic game up and running. Then you wonder if you can make it look prettier, so suddenly you’re learning how to draw and make better artwork. And now that the game plays well and looks cool, you’re getting really excited and begin to add this feature and that feature and that other feature. And then what started as a tiny idea has ballooned into this massive monster that causes you to question whether or not it will ever be finished. And when you actually, finally finish it, you jump out of your chair and scream:

I MUST SHOW THIS TO THE WORLD!!!

It’s a fun process. Until you realize you have to pay developer fees to show your game to the world. Then you go, “Oh, no, this has to make money? Well, surely I can sell enough to cover those fees AND buy a $3.49 pizza afterwards.”

Sadly, I have not achieved pizza…

19. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I just made an augmented reality test where I can augment an object rather than a 2D target. I had lots of fun doing it and really that is why I am a developer. I like being able to turn what I imagine into reality (rather than be the frustrated person trying to get other to turn it into reality.

20. luniac

luniac Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2015
    To be all good.
    brooklyn
    Because we're all stuck in the early 2000's....

100 years ago the concept of going to space or even the ability to visually see amazing CGI creations didn't exist.

100 years from now we're at least gonna have the ability to visit the moon as a tourist.

but we're stuck in the now... all this potential and possibility... just out of reach...

Games can at least give us a small taste of what's possible. I love being a part of the industry, even in my current tiny tiny insignificant way...