Universal Mini Motor Racing (By The Binary Mill)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by D3adly, Dec 7, 2011.

1. UncleLimey

UncleLimey Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Awesome top down racer .. Shame about the IAP , but to be honest, you don't really need to buy any IAP unless you want to unlock extra cars quicker.. The game cost me £1.29... I would have been happy paying £3.99 for a game of this great quality, so I bought 2 lots of 69p IAP .. So including the cost of the game...it totals about £2.50 I've spent... I'm happy with that, this game is worth that.

I hate the iap like in asteroids gunner where you have no choice but to buy extra IAP if you wanna see the whole game. Or the IAP in flight control where you can buy your way to the top of leaderboards without having any gaming skill

This game the IAP is totally optional. It's just a bit more of a grind if you opt out of buying IAP. And let's be honest, it's hardly a grind with a game of this terrific quality :)

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Awesome game no matter of IAPs cause LeMans is an awesome car. Tweak its nitro and top speed and you don't need a new car for a long time!

3. JTBentley

JTBentley Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Technical Director @ The Binary Mill
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Actually, in the harder races you end up earning around a grand or so per race.

4. pappakenoo

pappakenoo Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Will hold off a purchase after reading dk79's impressions about the game being far too easy. No challenge = No buy. Hopefully later stages get alot harder or adjustable difficulty get patched in. I'll keep this one on my radar for now.

5. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    The game gets much harder the further you get. The first few circuits are easy but trust me, its much more difficult later on.

6. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    This

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Helriser, look at my sig :) Added the entire comment of yours to my signature :D

8. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Really like this game, it's physics are very reminiscent of Super Sprint and Mickey Thompson's Off Road. Very simple mechanics, maintain your forward momentum and drifts will happen on their own.

For those wondering what purpose the nitros serve, one use is to regain your momentum out of a sharp turn. Once your vehicle is lined up with the middle of the road, hit the nitro and gain a serious advantage over the pack.

As far as difficulty is concerned, its not necessarily based on AI as much as Real Racing is, its more based on the speed of your opponents. You will need to upgrade your car, or buy faster ones when you earn the cash to do so. Luckily, I've not been in a situation that has required grinding cash on completed tracks, the money flows pretty well with the game's progression. That said, you really don't need any IAP for those of you concerned over that.

Great game, just wish it was "really" AirPlay mirrored, as in a full game @ 720p, not just a literal mirroring of my iPad's screen. Evertales did this, and I regretted buying the game. At least in this case, the game is quite good, so I can cope with not actually having true AirPlay mirrored gaming like Real Racing 2 or Modern Combat 3 does.

9. hbernritter

hbernritter Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Inventory/Marketing Manager
    Toledo, OH
    This is awesome! Well said!

10. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I can't believe how damn good this game is. IMO its now the best iOS racer.
    Everything about it is perfect , the graphics = brilliant, the handling/physics = perfect, the amount of content for your cash = amazing.
    All round absolutely fantastic game. Well done and thanks to the devs.

11. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Cant believe i wasted 30seconds reading this

Mummy!!!!.....

12. mashead2000

What he said :D

13. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Really? A member of this site has a valid opinion and is then shot down (rather rudely) and we celebrate this?

Helriser also made good points but there is a better way to express it IMHO. This should never be encouraged.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It sounds like dumb rumours are starting to get out of control here.

The IAP is very subtle indeed. There is absolutely no need to buy it at all if you don't want to, in fact, you might not even be able to find the menu it's located in unless you actually try. I played the game for a good two hours before remembering someone mentioned IAP and had to poke around trying to find exactly where it was. It's probably the least intrusive IAP I've ever seen in a game.

The game is not easy. You'll probably destroy the AI in the first couple of cups, but why shouldn't a game start out a little more forgiving? If you want a challenge, try saving coins for new cars and not permitting yourself to buy upgrades. Before long you'll be tearing your hair out.

You might think you're all pro, finishing the first three or four cups with little sweat... until you realise there are THIRTY cups in total and the game has barely broken you in. Once it has, it's not gonna go quite so easy on you.

15. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    I wasn't planning on buying anything this week (waiting for GTA 3 etc.) but the video looked nice so I decided to get this. No regrets. I even bought some IAP credits because the sportscar looked so cool and I had to have it immediately. :)

16. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Cheers mate, played a few tracks last night before bed and was worried by the easy nature of the game. Will get back into it tonight.

17. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Really love the game, picked up the iPad version last night, going to get the standard version now. Price wise, its still cheaper than what I would expect for the quantity and quality of game I'm getting.

Wonder if iCloud saves are cross version, sure hope so.

BTW - Steering wheel control is perfect, if a bit counter intuitive when you first start out. You need to break your muscle memory of wanting to counter steer, as doing so will send you that direction. Going to try out the slider next and see how that fares against the wheel.

18. Ben909

Ben909 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Bought it for the 3GS, and after playing one track, I was impressed enough to buy it for the ipad 1 too. Silky smooth on both devices, steering wheel control is perfect. I've only played two tracks so far, but first impressions are very good.

When I saw that saved data was stored in iCloud I'd hoped that I could continue my career across both devices, but that's not possible. I guess because as far as Gamecenter/iCloud is concerned, the HD version is a different game to the non-HD one. It would be great to see this changed.

It would be awesome to have a camera control on the ipad version (or even both versions) to be able to choose to zoom out a little bit to reveal a bit more of the track ahead. Not a complaint by any means, but a 'nice to have'.

Great game though, after just a few minutes with it so far.

19. Ben909

Ben909 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    No, they're not. At least, not for me anyway.

20. mashead2000

Cheers for the support-helriser can suck it since hes been a member for years but only has a post count of 50

Has anyone figured out how to change your name yet?so on the end of race scores dont say Player

I cudnt use the wheel control-opted for the nitro button in the middle and left and right buttons either side, seems to work well for me :)