Go Kart Racing

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by fatboxsoftware, Jan 10, 2013.

1. fatboxsoftware

fatboxsoftware Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    iPhone Multimedia
    Ormond Beach
    My GoKart project is not dead. I actually just finished optimizing the Kart model, the driver model and the environment for mobile purposes. Want to be able to port this to the Android and iOS devices, tablets, etc. I just got a hold of NGUI some time back and am in process of converting existing GUI code, and assets to an NGUI based GUI. I am nearly ready to implement AI into this track. The visual elements on the wall (signage, banners) are all stand-in, will replace with some realistic looking signage/banners. Also the UI will be redone and is stand-in as well.

Link to a temporary webplayer:

Unity Web Player | WebPlayer

[​IMG]

2. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I am a personal fan of single seater racing games too. If you need some funding, I can give you a few hundred. Would like to see this come to fruitation with a certain degree of polish.

3. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Can I have some funding?

4. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Dude, this isn't a joke. I am serious.

5. fatboxsoftware

Mar 15, 2011
    iPhone Multimedia
    Ormond Beach
    #5 fatboxsoftware, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    @Leonard

I am considering using this as a full on track, with a single race, AI implemented, etc. Basically get a single race demo running on the web (free demo). Start a Kickstarter with this playable demo as a proof of concept that it all can be technically done and would be a fun game. At that point attempt to fund actually creating a bunch of tracks and karts and make a full fledged mobile game out of this for Android/iOS and also port to Google Play for web.

What I like about the Kickstarter plan is that I have communities on the forums and in here to get instant feedback from all of you on what I should fix, or implement. I feel that by the time I kicked up a Kickstarter to fund this game the demo could be very solid and polished and people would want the game.

Thank you for your offer to help development. This is the project closest to my heart and the one I want to see through to fruition. I would not even consider a Kickstarter campaign unless I had 100% commitment to see this one through.

I don't know if you are a Facebook user or not, but please give the page a like over on Facebook so you can see the feedback of the people on there as well. I'd like you to see that insight and offer your own as well. Sometimes I miss posting to some forums, but I always update the Facebook page directly.

http://www.facebook.com/fatBOXSoftware

6. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    #6 ThreeCubes, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    Looks good

7. fatboxsoftware

Mar 15, 2011
    iPhone Multimedia
    Ormond Beach
    @ThreeCubes - Yep someone over on the Unity forums caught this a week or so ago. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/154903-The-Woods/page2

They found this and my mind was blown...it's very similar to my project. He made it to market first, so the title is his. This is actually what threw a kink into me moving forward this month on the project. I have to refactor quite a few things now to work around it, the biggest being the title. I don't mind that his artwork is similar, mine is PC/Mac based and his is a mobile title...so we'll have a different visual fidelity there. So considering that setback, I decided to shift my focus to the GoKart project and try to see that to the mobile markets. It should be a much faster game to turn around (doesn't have the complexity of story, etc). Eventually I will return to The Woods with a new title and some reworked environment stuff I do believe, but for now it went back burner.

8. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Well I don't have any plans to take it to PC, and I'm sure there's plenty of room for more horror games. I developed my game quite quickly. It was not until I had started posting it on here that I came across your version in your posts, was a bit of surprise. I did play your web demo it is looking good. Maybe we could do some cross promotion stuff when you get it done. It's odd that my smart phone version of the game is 60mb and your pc one is just 10mb, I must be doing something wrong. ;)

Well I've decided to cancel my new go cart game so it's all yours!

Good luck!

9. fatboxsoftware

Mar 15, 2011
    iPhone Multimedia
    Ormond Beach
    [​IMG]

Web playable update: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16956434/Kart_Race_Demo/1-18-13_Webplayer/WebPlayer.html

Converted all in-game HUD elements to NGUI. Now they're rocking 2 draw calls of the entire UI (1 is for the font and other for UI elements.) I am aware of the position indicator doing it's bugginess. What is occurring, is that when the player and AI are equal in Laps Completed, Waypoints Passed and are relying on Distance to Next Waypoint to calculate who's in front..well that value is jumping back to 0 at each way point being passed (resets value). So I think because the data is relying on the rapidly changing value to determine race position in these circumstances, it's glitching a bit. Once you determine a lead by passing more waypoints in general or more laps, the position indicator is fine. It's a bug and I'll fix it.

I've also added in driver camera functionality if you click the camera icon in the top of the game window. Helps with the sense of speed a bit, but I'll do more with the far camera's sense of speed when I get to that. For now I'm working on getting the second functional AI vehicle in...I intend to have a race between (3) Karts.

10. fatboxsoftware

Mar 15, 2011
    iPhone Multimedia
    Ormond Beach
  11. Cowboyman381

Cowboyman381 Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    Count me in....looks great !

12. fatboxsoftware

Mar 15, 2011
    iPhone Multimedia
    Ormond Beach
    #12 fatboxsoftware, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    ** removed **

13. fatboxsoftware

Mar 15, 2011
    iPhone Multimedia
    Ormond Beach
    What a pain, but I finally got the entire web site upgraded from Flash to HTML5. Had to be done! Now I have a great place where I'm going to post all of this feedback and input and put it down in a "to-do" or "bug" list.

Super Kart Racing Official Web

14. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Really? Wow. Why not just give me a few hundred and just play Go Karting. It's already out and is a very good racer of that kind! I'll just consider it a finders' fee! :D Seriously.

15. fatboxsoftware

Mar 15, 2011
    iPhone Multimedia
    Ormond Beach
    @bigrand1 - The game you mention, while what you said is all true, I do have something that separates my project from that game. During my development investors (Kickstarter backers) of that level, will be able to send over a drawing or concept/design of a track and/or environment and see it become reality in this game. I am also offering as reward that individuals at a lower backing level will be allowed to have their own custom signage and banners in levels...i.e. advertise their own web site or fun park, etc. This is an opportunity to have your ideas put into a game and realized. Not only that but it creates a bit of unique in game advertising!

Right off the bat I am needing to pay Apple their $99.0 iOS fee to re-up my license with them. The Android license fee is much smaller and can be acquired once the Kickstarter was successful (assuming it will be). There are just immediate developer needs, and this kind soul would help realize that.

16. fatboxsoftware

Mar 15, 2011
    iPhone Multimedia
    Ormond Beach
    Updates: No work on visual art this week. Implemented a sound controlling system. Integrated sounds when smacking walls, other AI karts. Will play from (3) random sounds in an array. I've also included an engine sound that changes pitch based on engine RPM. Lastly I've implemented the skidding sound when sliding in turns, I've also put the trail renderer in there to leave visual marks on the track behind you. The audio is definitely placeholder (and it's not high quality stuff). It's only there at this juncture, as proof of concept that the scripts are working to produce sounds. Follow the link to the updated web player.

http://fatboxsoftware.com/super-kart-racing/4573006708

17. fatboxsoftware

Mar 15, 2011
    iPhone Multimedia
    Ormond Beach
    Hi everyone. I know some of you have seen me posting up stuff with my GoKart iOS/Android project. Well I'm finally getting a coherent funding and marketing campaign together to get this game in production full time. Here is the new URL and web site I have up for the game. I'm also finishing up an IndieGoGo funding campaign to finance the game, but the it's not live yet (so no links to it anywhere yet). Check out the web site and if you feel so inclined give the Facebook page an official like! Thank you for following me and all of the support.

Super Kart Racing Official Web

18. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Best of luck with this. I'm liking what I see a lot, and look forward to playing this on iOS and Android very soon. :)

19. fatboxsoftware

Mar 15, 2011
    iPhone Multimedia
    Ormond Beach
    #19 fatboxsoftware, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    I have a QA feedback list on the official web page. I've implemented feedback from users on the forums and it contains features and fixes that need to be implemented.

20. fatboxsoftware

Mar 15, 2011
    iPhone Multimedia
    Ormond Beach
    #20 fatboxsoftware, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    Finally got the funding campaign LIVE!

Super Kart Racing on IndieGoGo

[​IMG]

Everyone I know on here, you've all been amazing supporters of my site and Unity work. I've launched my funding campaign for Super Kart Racing. If you can contribute, please do. If you cannot, please share the link with your networks and pass the word. Thank you all so much for the support!