Gameloft in perspective.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by goodboyback, Apr 29, 2014.

1. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    #1 goodboyback, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    This thread is for anyone who has something to say about GL.:)

2. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    They kinda kicked us out of MC5 thread.
    I hope new BIA game isn't on rails.

3. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Some of their games are good. Some of them aren't. All of them are pretty derivative, but they're also very slick - and there's a place in the world for slick unoriginal games.

4. goodboyback

Mar 30, 2014
    Hehe,I don't blame them though it got off topic pretty quickly.
    I hope that too sir,I loved the first one to death it was incredible,had great set pieces and was filled with upto the brim with little details specially how bullets pierced the ground and a splash of mud would show up really added to the feel.I just wish they would remake BIA 3 with Mc5 engine and in third person,like the first game.:)

5. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    that's not Gameloft that's Copyloft...

6. goodboyback

Mar 30, 2014
    I agree,I actually liked most of their older rip off of uncharted and resident evil ut it seems that they have dropped in quality and even ambition,there's rarely a GL game that excites me anymore,I thought they had a great chance with TDKR but it ultimately fell a little short.More polish and focus on gameplay mechanics would help a great deal,Total mayhem is one such example.

7. waderain

waderain Active Member

Feb 3, 2013
    yuma, az
    Gameloft has done a damn fine job bringing quality games to a mobile format. I have yet to see any of the big gaming companies come close. Yes they have some bad games but all in all they've done a fine job in a sort of new market.

8. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I agree.

9. goodboyback

Mar 30, 2014
    I used to feel the same way about them up until NOVA 3 but 2013 and 2014 changed my perspective.Games like oceanhorn and shadow sun coming from smaller devs aped all GL released in the last 2 years,I think it's been a case of bad influence form freemium as a result of which game mechanics have been sacrificed to insert freemium model.

10. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    I really like most of their games but what they did to GT: Racing 2 left a really bad taste in my mouth.

11. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Their games tend to feel rather soulless to me, but to each their own.

12. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Agreed! Matter of fact I probably really got into mobile gaming because of them.

13. goodboyback

Mar 30, 2014
    #13 goodboyback, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    They were incredible until late 2012,In 2013 onwards freemium games started dominating the charts which wrongly affected devs like GL and they started competing with them by inserting gimmicks into their own games.

If the future of GL is Tasm 2(A dyanamic shadow version of first game),Capt america and thor then count me out.

However all hope is not lost mc5 looked like a very good game,It's their leading franchise and they are taking their time with it.the hands on impressions which were almost a year ago looked fantastic and after a year I can only expect it has gotten better.Here's hoping for better textures though,My ipad 2,5s and my bro's ipod4g all had the exact same textures in mc4 which was dissapointing.

And a DARK SOULS ripoff may just change my mind,Ryan if you're watching this thread please make that happen.

14. I like Gameloft Ryan, he is a nice guy.

But no always online please kind sir.

Thanks,
    Connector

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I loved dungeon hunter 1 and 2. Two brilliant games. But then they ruined it. DH 3 was a joke, DH4 full of freemium. Loved those early two games though

Like I say their early games were great (hero of Sparta, Nova 1/2 etc) but haven't bought/downloaded a gameloft game in quite some one now. Shame

16. goodboyback

Mar 30, 2014
    Sometimes I wonder why they dropped their older franchises like Hero of sparta and Shadow guardian,I just played the latter one a few days ago and I was blown away by the varied gameplay mechanics and even graphics.It was a great game and the graphics were extraordinary considering I played it on my bro's ipod 4g,Shame it doesn't run on my 5s though.

17. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Agreed.
    And well said and accurate.

And anybody who complains about Gameloft and freemium obviously hasn't heard of or played any recent game by EA, Chillingo, Rovio, Supercell, Disney, King, Mobage, Kabam, Gung Ho, Storm8, Glu, Zynga and about 15 more of the App Stores highest earners and biggest publishers.

Gameloft is the only one of the major developers that has the industry questioning their support for premium and criticised for still supporting and releasing premium games and not fully switching to freemium.

They are one of the very few that has even adapted the freemium models they have based on feedback to be gentler on the player (with one exception due to lack of revenue generation due to a far too soft freemium model at launch).

So it might be time people got some perspective on the reality of things and start looking at the big picture because Gameloft is one of the few we have left in relation to the big publishers and support for premium or some form of balanced freemium.

They are also the only major publisher investing in community feedback channels in order to find a suitable balance and adapt to players needs and requests.

It might be time to lay off with all the hostility and uninformed criticism towards them and actually look at the big picture because they are one of the few (independents not included), probably the only major, that is actually trying to please the standard player and not simply focus on the whales and are a gamers best chance of having balanced monetisation models going forward.

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Because games are expensive to make and maybe premium wasnt cutting it, while their freemium titles skyrocket in sales. Since then they have been slinging out less than stellar, but great looking games riddled with IAPs.

Cant blame them if consumers cheap out on everything and cause them to go this route.

They only had premium titles before. Until the indie scene started cranking out enjoyable one-dollar titles. Then freemium started, and everyone just wants to get their games into everyones devices, which in effect increased the visibility of the games, which increased the chances of people buying even just the tamest of IAPs.

If these smaller titles generate more money in some games than Gameloft's offerings, tis merely adaptation that Gameloft has to make batter looking casual games and try to make cash cows instead.

I've been wondering for some time now... Does anyone know if Gameloft has freemium titles that makes more money than say, MC3 or MC4? Coz that'll be the end of premium for GL.

We already saw how many stupidly good titles have freemium sequels.

That said, im pretty sure GL still has the capacity to make the best games, but keeping a steady cashflow means they have to cut out development resources (time, people, etc) and instead crank out mediocre games with high-style visuals.

At least GL still at least tries some form of balance in their games' freemiumness. One company in particular has the same capacity as GL in terms of creating quality games, but they go through the roof in the ridiculous IAP-pushing balance of their games: Glu.

19. goodboyback

Mar 30, 2014
    #19 goodboyback, Apr 30, 2014
    If Glu are basis of your comparison then that itself is a big loss for gl,The question isn't whether they go freemium or not the question is that thequality of games hasn't improved at all and in many cases degraded.Asphalt 8 is their only great game in the last 2 years,mc4 was decent and everything else was sub par.
    The fact that they average 59 metacritic in the last 2 years says it all,Whenever there's competition they fall short.Fifa crushed Rf,even FTs killed RF coming from a smaller devveloper.Oceanhorn bests every other adventure game from gl,Eternity warriors bets dungeon hunter,Thor and other licensed games were just boring and repetitive mess filled with bugs and framerate issues,Tasm 2 has the same exact assests as that from a 2 year old game has outdated animations and unrefined combat,side missions are terrible and despite using the same old engine they could not take out enough time to optimise the game for ANY device in the world.

They deserve all this hate for being incompetent and unprofessional just like how EA deserve it for doing the same on console department.

And charging 30$ for in game iap is not exactly 'balancing',they'll keep on churning out crappier games as long as the casuals will keep buying it,Always online is just the start.

For those saying customer support has improved should just check how many times they have updated their games and actually resolved any major issues.Tasm 2 is the shining example,we still don't have any performance update as it stands.

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #20 psj3809, Apr 30, 2014
    I'm happy paying premium prices, bought Star Wars KOTOR, Baldurs Gate and many more.

Again picture the scene, first 'discover' iOS gaming, found Dungeon Hunter 1, loved it, 2 i heard was even better, completed the first one moved onto the second and loved it. Gameloft were one of my favourite companies.

Then i hear Dungeon Hunter 3's coming out and i'm like a kid at Xmas, then it came out and it was terrible (in my view). Heard DH4 was coming, heard they were going 'back to its routes', some promise but i wont hold my breath and its just a huge freemium game.

I loved the original DH games, i'm happy to pay a high premier price to have something similar, just imagine your favourite game series just drastically changed? I was gutted !

Yeah companies need to make money, yeah theres a lot of money in freemium but my main issue with DH was the way it drastically changed, DH3 was a terrible arena game, DH4 just seems packed of freemium and isnt non-linear.

I just find myself playing the older Gameloft games much more as i keep getting the feeling the second a Marvel film comes out there'll be an 'average' gameloft game based on it. A few years back Gameloft were my favourite developer by far, quality game after quality game, then i dont know, i just dont play their new games anymore.

Must admit hats off to the Gameloft guy here who answers a lot of questions, must be a tough job at times but hats off to him