First app to hit a million PAID downloads: Flick Sports Fishing

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by astrosaurus, Jun 23, 2009.

1. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
  2. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Thats insane

Looks like Apple had the right idea

3. astrosaurus

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
  4. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    I saw this and was very puzzled. Flight Control and Pocket God both hit a million long before Flick Fishing.

5. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Maybe they mean first freeverse paid app to hit a million?

6. astrosaurus

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    I thought that for a second too, but they make it pretty clear in the opening sentence:

NEW YORK - June 23, 2009 - Freeverse, one of the leading developers and publishers of iPhone games, sold the millionth copy of its Flick Fishing game over the weekend, making Flick Fishing the first paid application to reach the one million download milestone.

Looks like they might have their facts wrong, which I'm assuming is the case.

7. llbros545

llbros545 Active Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Hmm.....since the report is mostly on the in-app purchasing, could it be that it's the 1st app to have 1m in-app purchases....just guessing cause that's really far off...

8. sconethief

sconethief Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I bet fieldrunners and nitro kart have sold a million copies a loooooooooong time ago.

9. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    That holds less awe than being the FIRST to do it out of all the games out there. But congrats none the less, big achievement.

10. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    It's the internet guys! Everyone claims to be the first!

Ps. First!

11. AttackOfThePwned

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Haha, technically you are the first...On the second page.

12. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    hmm I thought it meant to be the first to reach 1 million of that 3.0 paid in-app content thingy. That's what surprised me.

13. ian1969uk

ian1969uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Can't see that a million people have bought in-app on Flick Fishing to be honest.

14. AttackOfThePwned

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    #15 AttackOfThePwned, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
    Agree. To make it to 1 million for in app would mean the userbase for the game is HUGE. I can't see everyone that bought the game also purchased the in app download because I own the game and I didn't buy the extra fishing spot pack. Consider the game has 3 mill users, 1/3rd of them downloaded the expansion pack? Not likely. That last part was a hypothetical.

15. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Congrats to freeverse. Flick Fishing is a great game.

16. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    not for me, i have 20 posts per page. And yes this app has got its facts wrong

PS First! (time for me to post in this thread)

17. meder87

meder87 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Product Development Manager
    In the world of iOS
    Is there a site that gives stats on sales for apps? I've always wondered about certain games how many copies they sell.

18. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    who cares, i would be happy to sell a million anything anytime. it is really funny that they were all stoked on it tho and ended up being wrong, hahahahah

19. Scott30

Scott30 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Found this elsewhere, it does mention about FC and Firemint announcing it only a few days ago as well but doesn't exactly mean they were first just first to announce it and they didnt state they were the first either so who knows really.

"Phone publisher Freeverse announced that its popular accelerometer-controlled fishing sim Flick Fishing has become the first paid application in the iTunes App Store to surpass the one million download mark. The title sold its millionth copy worldwide over the weekend.

Freeverse also reveals that nearly ten percent of Flick Fishing owners have used the iPhone OS 3.0’s In-App Purchasing functionality to purchase additional game content. Flick Fishing’s expanded paid content — which includes new fish, an extra fishing spot, and a multiplayer gameplay mode — was released shortly after the debut of iPhone OS 3.0 last week.

Interestingly, developer Firemint has issued a similar App Store sales claim, noting that its air traffic management game Flight Control surpassed one million downloads late last week. Firemint’s announcement arrived on Friday, June 19th, while Freeverse issued its press release earlier today.

Firemint made no mention of whether Flight Control was the first application to sell one million copies, however, leaving some doubt as to which title was the first to reach the milestone."