Best Camera for shoot a gameplay Video

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by hasan044, Aug 17, 2011.

1. hasan044

hasan044 Active Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Senior Operating Officer
    Miami,Fl
    Hi guys,

I have developed some games for iPhone and iPad but the success rate in appstore is bad. So I think I should do some marketing things and thats why I need to make some gameplay video of my games.

Can you guys please suggest me some good mid-range video camera for shooting the gameplay video? I prefer Sony/ canon.

A quick help will be appreciated.

Thanks to all

2. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    I used my personal Canon 550D, It's called Digital Rebel t2i in the US
    price is around $600-700

I can record in Full HD without any problem.

here is a excellent review made by Lex Luthor

3. hasan044

hasan044 Active Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Senior Operating Officer
    Miami,Fl

It's something like costly for me right now.. can you suggest any camcorder under $500 ?

4. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    If you want a more professional video, I suggest you a spend a little extra.

This is the best price/quality camera that you will found on the market.

5. IndieApp

IndieApp Member

Jul 11, 2011
    London
    This might not be what you're looking for but have you considered running it in the iPhone simulator and recording it on your desktop using a screen recording program? There are even iOS apps available so you can use your iPhone/iPad as a controller for the iOS Simulator so you can use multitouch/accelerometer etc. Thats the way that you will obviously get the best quality video all at a low cost!

6. d0bermann

d0bermann New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    If you want a sharp picture, your best would be a DSLR. 550D, 7D, 5D will all do it. Traditional simple camcorders have a high compression rate, which will not react well on a luminant screen. Also, they usually have auto exposure settings, which will probobly give you a bright screen with dark surrounding.

DSLRs are very common nowadays, I'm sure you can borrow one from your friends.

If you manage to get your hands on one, keep in mind that you should adjust your shutter speed lower than 50, or you will get banding artifacts in the screen. Adjust the exposure according to your screen, and light the environment with external sources. I once shot a very nice looking video with 2 floorlamps with blue tracing papers.

7. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    You still need a camera if you want to show somebody playing with the real device.

8. kcpediredla

kcpediredla New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Could you please suggest some apps that i can get, which can be used as a controller while we record the screen on the mac in the ios simulator?

9. IndieApp

IndieApp Member

Jul 11, 2011
    London
    I personally use iSimulate which is really quite good but I'm sure there are other options out there too!
    http://www.vimov.com/isimulate/

10. iGotIt

iGotIt Well-Known Member

The bits in my Colorfly's Trailer were filmed with my iPhone4 and a really shoddy setup... I think the trailer conveyed the message well enough. I used After Effects for post processing.

I actually have a T2i now so I'll definitely be using that for my next trailer, but the iPhone4 was good enough.

11. miter

miter Member

Jun 29, 2010
    as for me I heard Macvide ScreenCap ( www.macvide.com ) is a good app for recording screen, anybody use it?