Best puzzle game? Recommendations, please.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Poco, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Poco

Poco Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Hi guys,

I tried to look for a similar topic but it is impossible to find it in so many posts (so if any of you knew about it please post a link).

Basically I would like some recommendations - I am looking for a puzzle game that is not time dependent (although it may have a time dependent mode, I am not against) and it is not that classic "match/rotate/swap/shoot or whatever 3 pieces of same kind/shape/color". I just want some puzzle game which may be played in tram, bus or train with one hand and the most important is the user's logic and not his hands' speed or accuracy. I tried to look through the games in appstore and the reviews here in TA but the offer is just too great and of course I don't feel like buying every single app to try it out.
    No price limit.
    Thanks a bunch for every opinion!

P.

2. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    #2 Ravenblack, Oct 5, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
    The latest puzzle games that are good:

Crystal Caves Classic (one hand playable, cave/dungeon puzzle)
    Boulder Dash Rocks (one hand playable but has a timer, still this is a lot of fun if you like cave/dungeon puzzles)
    Electric Box (logic puzzle)
    Wriggle (one hand playable)
    Copy Cat: A Painter's Puzzle. (color mixing and shape play)
    Sheeple (casual pathfinding puzzle, improvements and additions to come)

For more puzzle games, check out the link in my sig at the bottom of my post. :)

3. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Yeh Ravenblack's link is the ultimate resource. We've got Mew2468 to thank for that!

4. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    #4 Ravenblack, Oct 5, 2009
    Yes. :)

And Camzy, you forget your own; Poco should look into your sig's "Best Of Its Kind" links too.

5. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Thank you :D. I didn't think the thread would grow into such an extensive list. :eek:

6. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    Get Symbolism and Str8ts (Or Str8ts 6x6). Both fantastic puzzle / logic games you can play with one hand that depend on your thinking skills and give you the time you need to think.

7. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #7 ArtNJ, Oct 5, 2009
    It seems everyone has their own opinion on this subject, and the master puzzle thread that was linked for you is now highly overwhelming if you try and get through the whole thing, although it does make some recommendations up front to help.

Perhaps I can help by saying I like conceptually simple puzzles games (i.e. puzzles with simple and clean rules where the complexity comes from figuring it out, not the rules) best, and you can see if you have similar tastes by trying out a free rush hour puzzler. Try Unblock Me! Lite, which has hundreds of puzzles, all for free.

If it turns out you like the simple logic/look ahead of rush hour puzzles, then I highly recommend Fling! which is completely different, but has the same sort of simple to understand, but at the same time complex to do logic/look ahead. Fling! is .99, but is so highly polished its totally worth it. It has an untimed unlock mode, and two timed modes, one of which comes in three difficulty levels.

If your looking for something with a little more of a game built around the puzzle, well, there are a million choices. But if it turns out your tastes in puzzles are like mine, your not going to beat the above 2 for train puzzles.

If you do want your puzzle wrapped in more of a game then my above 2 recommendations, you might try alchemy. I feel as you do about match-3s, but alchemy takes the match-3 concept and makes it into an amazingly challenging and fun puzzle game.

8. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    very true, for mw try iphyzzle, iphyzzle2, ancient wonderland(better version of azken imho), and timeploop.

Also a +1 on electric box and str8ts.

9. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    If you want simple rules but complex puzzles, I find Huebris to be a fantastic experience.

There is a timer, but it is here to brag, you can solve the puzzles at your own pace.

10. Aspargusman

Aspargusman Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    enigmo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

good puzzle game

try Stoneloops of Jurassica! it's an action puzzler and IMO, it is the most worth it of them all. however, if your willing to spend a bit more, you may want to consider getting atlantis sky patrol.

i know, im impartial to marble poppers but they just seem more appealing to me:D (im 13!)

if you want a more 'puzzling' puzzle game, get bejeweled, its the best match three app.

12. Poco

Poco Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Prague, Czech Republic
    #12 Poco, Oct 5, 2009
    ArtNJ, which game is that? I can't seem to find alchemy in the appstore. Could you please copy the link? I remember I had a game called like this some time ago on my PC and I enjoyed it pretty much. If it is the same (you have to make a row or a column of the same colored symbols) I would like it very much indeed.

Enigmo is a game which I didn't like too much. Got it as my very first app but was rather disappointing for me. Enigmo 2 look kinda nice, tho, maybe I will try it out later. Thanks for your suggestion anyway!

13. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sorry Poco, I meant Alchemize, not Alchemy. My bad. There is a big thread on it in the games forum that you can search for. The signature concept is that when you make a match of 3 or more, the 3 things that you match dont dissappear, they transmute into a single one of the higher level item, that always drops on the left. As you unlock a higher level item, instead of 2 things dropping, its 3 then, 4, etc... until it eventually gets unmanageable (various powerups help). Your goal is to get all the way to gold, which is the 25th level item that drops. My wife who isnt too into puzzles can get to the 10th or 11th level item. I can get to the 15th level item. There is someone on this forum that can get up to the 20th level item, which I just dont understand -- they have strategy that I cant fathom yet.

14. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Theseus is a great puzzler with tons of maps, save when you quit, and a very clean interface.

15. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    I'd recommend Wriggle - 80 puzzles with 4 levels of difficulty and a super easy to use interface for navigating puzzles. There are also achievements and medals awarded for solving the puzzles in the minimal amount of moves possible.

16. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    Symbolism is Alchemy for the iPhone (and is not the same as Alchemize).

It's a buck, and unlike the original Alchemy it comes with some additional challenge maps to try and clear. :)

17. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    If you enjoy building things and watching them work, without the real life nusances involved with them get Fantastic Contraption.
    One of the best computer, puzzle/ physics games ever. You can google it and try it out before you buy. I really like it cuz it gives me a sense of accomplishment when I beat a very ,very tough level. A lot of the levels may seem tough, but that actually extends the gameplay, theres something about trial and error that makes this game soo fun.
    Recently it feels like they fixed most of the crashing online. Oh i didnt mention that you can make ur own maps and submit them online. You can also download other people maps. You'll know what im talking about when u try out the computer version. Seriously get it, its fun. and addicting

18. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Turn: Episode 1 the lost artefact is a fantastic puzzle game

19. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    I don't think it should be considered as a best puzzle game as I found it a bit boring unless there a an update that I do not know about that changes that.

20. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Pentanimals is really good and free!