iPhone Airship Downs - A Steampunk City-Building Simulator

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Yorkman, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Yorkman

Yorkman Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Hi guys!

I'm Patrick, the PR Director and Community Liaison for EVV Games. We are working hard on our debut title, Airship Downs.

A lot of games hope to be the next biggest title, so I won't bore you with this old song and dance, I will simply list a few of the standard and optional gameplay features and let you decide. It will be based on a city building sim,have a deep and rich storyline like the days of yore, have standard PvE battle encounters (which will have auto units and auto kill for the less experienced mobile gamers), and progress through levels using experience and gold. You will be able to enhance the buildings through building modifications and decoration based enhancements. There will be a unique leveling system, designed to prevent game breakage, which will progress the player through 10-20 levels, and then enter a new "age" which will start the levels over for the next age. Throughout the leveling, players will unlock new buildings, be able to combine the resources using streamlined mechanics, and unlock new buildings and building enhancing decorations. There will also be special "automaton" units that will be able to be created, and man the buildings, in order to add their bonuses to the particular buildings they oversee. These automatons will also have their own customization screen, and be able to be set on display for the player network. Other social features will currently include being able to build a network of fellow city-builders, who will be able to come to your city and collect money for you and restart your shop's recipes, which can be done a number of times based on the total number of people in your network. It will have a customizable UI for the main screen, user-definable play list for the music, the previously mentioned top-level "out-of-game" network, and allow the player to get full screen, high resolution pictures of each specific building.

The optional features will include a technology tree based on a level triggered points earning system, which can then be spent on the technologies, somewhat like a skill tree. Strategic combat with a multitude of units, using an 8-way square "star" grid, which will combine the flexibility of the hex directional capabilities, and the square's multi-sized unit practices. A Crafting system using basic and enhancement elements gathered from battles and exploration. Customization of the PC and NPC with standard attribute based stats in order to create specialty population units. Random overhead and underground special encounters with special enemies and loot (a-la dungeon crawlers) along side standard random encounters. PvP and co-op, turn based battle options.

The game will be a F2P with a premium currency based system, which will also have premium buildings to go along with it. The premium system will allow players to save time only, and also be a unique implementation of a currently abused mechanic. You will be able to "downgrade" premium buildings in order to get back somewhere over 50% of your premium currency back into your stash, and there will be plenty of promotional opportunities to earn free premium currency. This will be a generous system to basically "allow" players to spend money on the game if they wish, and help us sustain development and support for continued updates and expansions. It will also incorporate and in game bank, which will be able to upgrade normal currency to premium currency. This will be a unique implementation of this model, and will ultimately be standardized by the community.

To the best of my knowledge and research, nothing quite like this set of features has exactly been tried yet, so I hope it to be at the very least a unique gameplay experience. At best, I do hope it is very successful, so that it raises the bar for the current mobile development community in order to prove that not only can this be done, but is what should be done. We will need the community's support in order to do this, however, because the other mobile devs don't think you want a more engaging or deeper game than games about farm villages or upset avians, so come help us by showing your support!!

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I nearly stopped reading at F2P, but the last two paragraphs show that you're mindful of how it can be used inappropriately and sound like you're attempting something a bit different and less abusive. Hats off to you and wish you well with trying to do something a little unique with the model.

3. Yorkman

Yorkman Member

Jan 26, 2013
    #3 Yorkman, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    I appreciate you giving us the benefit of the doubt, September. :D

Let me re-assure you and everyone else that we are NOT pursuing the crippled-gameplay route to try to extort money from you. Airship Downs will be fully playable for free. The premium currency comes in to purchase better buildings and get better rewards. It's a matter of upgrading standard gameplay instead of mending rigged gameplay.

4. snozzyboy

snozzyboy Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Game sounds awesome you have my download already :)

5. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    No iPod/iPhone version?

6. Yorkman

Yorkman Member

Jan 26, 2013
    @bramblett05 We are releasing for iOS, Android OS, and Web Browser, so iPhone is included. :)

7. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Oh ok cool. Any video or in game pictures yet?

8. Yorkman

Yorkman Member

Jan 26, 2013
    The video will be here in the next day or two to coincide with our Indiegogo.com campaign launch.

9. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    When is the release?

10. Yorkman

Yorkman Member

Jan 26, 2013
    We're launching the Indiegogo.com campaign this coming week. The game's actual release will be Q3 of this year.

11. Yorkman

Yorkman Member

Jan 26, 2013
    #11 Yorkman, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    Hey guys,

This is it, the day has come. Our Indiegogo.com Campaign is live! This is where we need your support the very most. Contribute if you can and help us spread the word. This is NOT possible without everyone’s help and support. 2013 is going to be a revolutionary year in the gaming industry, and by supporting us you can make your mark. Catch you soon. =D

http://www.indiegogo.com/airshipdowns

12. GeoFruck

GeoFruck New Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Gameplay footage

Hi All, I'm Geoffrey, the game's designer :) Just wanted to let you all know that we've added some prototype gameplay footage for the city building portion of the game. Please come check it out here.

13. fmigames

fmigames New Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Chief Creative Chick
    USA
    Looks fun, Patrick! I'll be watching your progress :)

14. GeoFruck

GeoFruck New Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Hi All, we've decided to add some incentive to our already well-portioned rewards for our campaign. We have entered the final hours for this, so please help us out by contributing and/or spreading the word. We are going to try to change the direction of mobile games with this title, but we will need your help! You can find us here.