Change in the Forum

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by hellscaretaker, Mar 19, 2018.

1. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    This was posted by Eli in monster chef i wanted to respone but after reading this felt it better not to game but talk about this in general thread.

"The problem with “letting people air their fair opinions and grievances as consumers on a public forum“ when it comes to the same old rants over and over is that has effectively completely destroyed these forums. My biggest regret with the TouchArcade community is not getting in front of all this and stopping it before it took over.

Years ago when a new game came out, the thread would be filled with first impressions and other people talking about playing the actual game. Now, far too many threads are completely derailed by arguments about free to play systems and connectivity requirements which quite honestly have nothing to do with what this game is even about.

In letting the lunatics run the asylum here with this sort of thing they’ve completely chased anyone away that might want to talk about the actual game. If you found this thread on Google because you’re excited about Monster Chef and wanted to talk strategy with other players... Well, too bad, this thread just instantly got dumped on. It’s super tiring, and incredibly unfortunate how things have evolved over the years. Developers largely don’t even bother posting here anymore as folks aren’t excited about talking to the creators of these games, instead they want them to answer for their crimes.

It’s absurd. But, I’ve posted this same thing many times before and no one cares so I’m not sure why this time would be any different."

2. hellscaretaker

May 27, 2012
    I have admit what Eli says true i have been around these forums since i owned a iphone 4 and seen the change in the forums for my own eyes.

I look back at monster chief and put my hands up at getting into the argument over wifi connection and should of just not replied to it.

In all honest when you look at Monster Chief thread there is indeed very little if any about the actually game itself instead its us arguing over the connection and then arguing over who was right or wrong in bringing the subject in the first place.

I myself in future will try to stick to just posting about the games and have this general arguments of wifi or IAP in general.

3. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    In short people suck, I discovered that as a kid and I am right till this day.

4. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    People aint so bad; it’s probably just “kick the cat” syndrome which around these fourms has morphed into “kick the developer”. Not much fun for cats and developers though.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    A lot of the threads get boring questions as people ask about 20 things before they decide whether to spend 99c or not. 'Does it have game centre achievements?' 'Can i use an MFI controller?' 'Is it iphone x optimised ?' over and over. Just buy the game for 1 dollar.

When these people are older and try to buy a house for a 'bit more money' I dread to think the 80000 questions they'll be asking then !

Theres still a lot of 'gems' in the app store coming out but its not the same as it was in the 'old' days. I was spending loads weekly as there were so many good games out. Only good thing is it gives me time to play my older games which i might have ignored a bit due to the flood of games.

Been interesting the recent news articles, lots of good future games coming out (Specially from Crescent Moon)

6. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Well said, better than that what I said ha ha.

7. hellscaretaker

May 27, 2012
    When most times the posts go into the usually chat about how they hate IAP or something else that been covered time and again and not actually talk about the game itself you can see why people or developers just dont brother coming to the forums like they did

8. lezrock

lezrock Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I think those questions are legit and they wouldn’t be asked if the humble devs would give the proper and relevant info in their app description. MFI for example is really old by now. Why am I as a consumer supposed to investigate like Sherlock Holmes for those things? It’s beyond my imagination.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Granted devs should put details on the description - i mean often the screenshots of an app are dire, you cant work out if theres on screen controls or not

As for achievements thats more my rant - i dont get why people want these things. I'm old skool where if you turn off the machine you lose your score etc. Fair enough people may like them but i cant believe when i see people refuse to buy a game unless theres achievements, find that crazy

10. DaveMApplegate

DaveMApplegate Well-Known Member

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Discussing how MFi controls work, how the game runs on an older device, and other similar things is exactly the kind of stuff that'd be great to have in the forums again. When I'm specifically referring to is the people who just instantly jump on a game with a first post absolutely railroading it for being free to play or having an online requirement.

12. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    It is a shame there is so much toxicity around free to play, and that those who hate it feel the need to jump on anyone using it.

I started gaming in the arcade days where you had to pay per play, so pay-to-own is something that came along later, and free-to-play is just another stage.

There have been some abusive uses of FTP, but customers are wising up to it, so abusive practices are gradually going away. It was the same with pay-to-own. Many shoddy licensed games were created in the early console and home computer days. Those games were bought as presents by those who didn't know which were the good games, so went for the names they had heard of elsewhere. That was just as abusive and slowly reduced as the customers wised up.

13. lezrock

lezrock Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Just think about it from this angle: if you are stuffed to the brim with awesome games for a few coins and your backlog is bigger than trumps red button, than you maybe won’t buy a game that hasnt got some specific things, you normally expect to get to make you happy and then you’ll ask before you buy. I agree, that the way, how the question is raised, shouldn’t be offensive nor unrespectful.
    But in the end we are spoiled with Apps & Games.
    Btw I’m also getting more and more selective which game to buy and which not, the bigger my backlog is rising.

14. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    For achievements, it's what people like. Some of them are quite fun (I had fun pursuing them), but others feel tacked on. Either way, devs also noticed it's been a requested feature, so they also add that to their list, and it seems to up sales.

15. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    For me, NES and SNES games were $40 to $60 a pop.

I did quite some arcades too, but devs also adjusted their games to account for "business decisions". For example, later revisions of Gauntlet put in a "starvation mode" where players who had too much healthy were given a lot less food and health replenishing items, as a means to get players to put in more quarters.

16. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    You do realize, I hope, that there are just as many of you that keep constantly complaining about people who keep complaining about the same old crap of the IAP, achievements, and the like! What’s the difference?! It gets just as old listening to one as the other and you are contributing to the same problem that you are complaining about! # Hello!!! #

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Dude, it’s not even close. We hear about this FTP-complaining issue in threads like this one, or the rare occasion when Eli steps in to a game thread because it’s gone out of control. On the other hand, pretty much every major FTP game thread is opening iup with post after post of “I’d buy it if it were premium”/“greedy devs.”

And, of course, whenever a new premium game pops up, we get a ton of “not gonna buy it because of this or other obscure/insignificant reason” posts. (My favorite — the guys who won’t spend $3.99 on a 10+ hour game because it doesn’t have “replay value”.)

What I would love to see is all those folks who are constantly complaining about IAP and FTP to go out there and seek out decent premium games and put all that energy into helping get the word out. Take a chance and be the first to buy a game. Keep posting on the threads. Email the dev so that they can join in. Make yourself useful, for crying out loud.

18. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Really??! But it IS the same! The complaining about other people complaining here is just ridiculous! It’s actually become the new problem! To say it’s NOT means you’re either in denial of it, ignorant, or you feel you’re above everyone else when you do it yourself! It’s bad enough already, but when people who actually contribute to this site can’t help themselves and just add fuel to the fire every chance they get, they are just as guilty and are contributing to the site’s demise themselves! Instead of arguing and bitching, why not lead by example, and ignore it and change the subject to what we SHOULD be talking about?! Every time! Ever thought of that??? # Someone has to be the adult. This crap is either gonna come to an end, or the site will eventually. Keep it positive, ignore the BS, and stay focused on the reason why we’re all here in the first place! The negativity is just eating this place up! It’s definitely NOT why I come here, that’s for sure, and It’s distressing to say the least! ;)

19. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    If, for whatever reason, a specific game is not your style or not to your liking, why even get involved in its thread?

What do people expect to achieve with their complaints, or by debating the negatives in this or that trend?

Person Q should let those who are interested in a game talk about the game, even if the game has something about it that Person Q thinks is “wrong.” Because, in that thread especially, no one cares if you think you’re superior to that specific game. No one is listening, so why bother?