When would you rather publish your game on the App Store?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by RareSloth, Sep 23, 2015.

1. RareSloth

RareSloth Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

The holiday season (Thanksgiving / Christmas) is a very competitive and lucrative time of year on the App Store.

Which of the following do you think you'd have better chances with?

1. Publish your app on the App Store during holiday season with the hopes that it will gain a lot of sales because people have a lot of time on their hands?

OR

2. Publish after the holidays and hope you get better chances of being featured.

Cheers,
    Brian

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Don't publish on the hope of being featured. That is just silly. If that is your plan to success then go buy lotto tickets instead.

3. RareSloth

Patreon Bronze

#3 RareSloth, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    Man don't be so pessimistic! Its always possible to be featured if Apple likes your product. Furdemption was featured multiple times. Of course that doesn't mean its going to happen again, but I feel like its still something to consider.

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    That isn't it. Just that being the reason you make the choice. Of course it is possible but you need your own plan to get it noticed. Hoping apple will feature you and then them not can be soul crushing. I have seen many people post saying they submitted waiting for that apple feature and it never came so they are now stuffed. That is the wrong attitude in my opinion. An apple feature is a good bonus!

5. SpiritBomb Studios

SpiritBomb Studios Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Game Developer
    Saigon, Vietnam
    Right.
    But the rising user acquisition cost nowadays will make most games unprofitable if not featured by Apple or Google.

6. RareSloth

Patreon Bronze

The point is do you try to publish during a time when there is less competition for attention (after holidays) - OR - jump in with the competition and hope that there's enough money flying around that everyone benefits anyway?

The choice is not specifically centered around getting featured...And I think its good to try to be strategic with your releases.

7. weretiger

weretiger Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    It seems like it would make sense to publish in a less competitive time if you don't have a lot of marketing budget and depend on a more organic approach. The rewards are greater in certain seasons, but it will be harder to compete for the spotlight with titles that are bigger and have marketing budgets.